Can I put any type of shocks in the rear of my vs1400

Chadr320
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki intruder 1400

Can I put any type of shocks in the rear of my vs1400

Post by Chadr320 »

Hello just need some advice. I have a 1997 intruder 1400 and the rear shocks are bad I can tell because they don't bounce anymore and I can feel it bottom out. Does it matter what kind of shocks I put on it. I have never bought shocks before so I have no idea what to buy.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Can I put any type of shocks in the rear of my vs1400

Post by Designer »

Some Riders like Progressive Shocks. My first upgrade was to go with Koni's.....then moved up to Works Shocks

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Chadr320 wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:33 am
Hello just need some advice. I have a 1997 intruder 1400 and the rear shocks are bad I can tell because they don't bounce anymore and I can feel it bottom out. Does it matter what kind of shocks I put on it. I have never bought shocks before so I have no idea what to buy.

Welcome!

As long as they fit you can use any shock you like. I think the OEM shocks are 13 or 13 and a 1/4 inch but some guys have gone down to 11 and a 1/2, just depends on the look you are going for.

Here are a couple of things to check out.

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I like the Progressive 412's, your stock length is 13"
Unless you often ride 2up or haul a lot of luggage the standard rate is fine. Heavy duty gives a stiffer ride, but both are adjustable to tune for your expected weight.
Fork springs are also good for improving handling.

https://www.progressivesuspension.com/p ... ies-shocks

azazelakira
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: VS1400 2002

Post by azazelakira »

Following!
More RPMs please :putput:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

You need to have shocks that can take the weight of the bike. You will see cheap Chinese shocks on eBay that say they fit your bike - and they may fit - but the spring rate and damping is all wrong and it's a waste of money. So, in short, you can't just put on "any" shocks that fit.

Something like Sportster 1200 shocks would be an OK option if you are on a budget. Both bikes have a similar weight and there is (obviously) a better aftermarket for them which means there are a number of different lengths available. I think stock they are around 11.5 inches so if you were also looking at lowering the bike this is an easy option.