Im not sure if there is a god, but there is a Designer (and his springs)

thedaydreamer
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 Intruder VS1400

Im not sure if there is a god, but there is a Designer (and his springs)

Post by thedaydreamer »

Had the bike on the lift for MC replacement, full front and back caliper rebuilds, new pads and some maitenance, why not put the designer springs in, I was experience slipping in gears 2 - 5 at WOT, why not
Followed evertyhing to a T, torqed to 9ftlbs, everything back on, well, no back brakes, rebuilt set not in yet, but the front is all new! why not take it for a spin?
IN all gears and transition, the shift is smoother and quieter, easier in and out of gears, cleaner and all slippage where is was, was not anymore, the power is to the ground and you can feel it, coming out of 1st is smoother, neutral is smoother, it just feel completely upgraded and makes this bike all the more fun
I didnt put many miles on, but had to see it in action, well worth it for this bike, it makes the clutch feel so tight and connected
I will report back in this thread
Bravo Designer! TY again

azazelakira
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: VS1400 2002

Re: Im not sure if there is a god, but there is a Designer (and his springs)

Post by azazelakira »

That is a great review, where did you find those instructions?
More RPMs please :putput:

thedaydreamer
Studying MC Handbook

Post by thedaydreamer »

Designer ships out all directions with his springs, makes it real easy

SVS140
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS 1400

Post by SVS140 »

Did you also change the clutch or just the springs?

thedaydreamer
Studying MC Handbook

Post by thedaydreamer »

Just the springs, these plates typically last a very long time unless there is serious damage, largely the clutch issues with the vs1400 are spring related, they are just weaker from the factory than they should be, I have heard a few reasons why, like one that suzuki was trying to protect the user so they made the springs slip a bit so that rookies wouldnt fly off the bike, ive also heard that it was to extend drive shaft life, dont know what for sure, but these are the springs that should be in this bike

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Actually the clutch system is called a 'back torque limiter'. If you downshift too far, at speed, it can cause the rear wheel to lock up. This system prevents that by opening up the clutch plates with a ramp system. HOWEVER, in order for this to work the springs cannot be very strong. The biggest issue is that Suzuki spring material is not good enough and loses it's tension after a certain amount of time.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

thedaydreamer
Studying MC Handbook

Post by thedaydreamer »

Herb
Is it your view that Designer springs are actually stronger than brand new OEM Intruder springs?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Stronger springs will help most clutches - the 1400 one with that type of slipper clutch does rely on a certain spring strength to operate but most people wouldn't notice if it wasn't there.

This guy sells spring kits as well as a few other bits (adaptor for Tokico caliper upgrade, etc):

https://wintersmachining.com/products/o ... ch-springs

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

thedaydreamer wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2024 3:02 pm
Herb
Is it your view that Designer springs are actually stronger than brand new OEM Intruder springs?
Yes. After installing them you will notice a slight increase in the amount of pressure it takes to release the clutch. Not only that but Designer's springs do not loose their tension from repeated heat cycles.

Before I used Designer's springs I was changing the springs about every 12-15 K miles. The set of his springs I now have are still working fine after over 100 K miles, with a lot of stop and go work on the SOCAL freeways in rush hour traffic and in 2 engines.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.