Re: Engine Dies at idle

Post by Fred »

! Message from: 98VS1400
Edited for content

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Aw come on fellas lets knock off all the derogatory comments, it doesn't help anyone learn anything. [emoji106] As far as the stator causing a problem I doubt that in and of itself would be my problem as my battery is being fully charged by the charging system. I would think if I was having a problem with the stator it would first manifesting itself as a battery issue. I do know you can run quite a while on the battery without any charge from the generator but eventually you will loose performance as there will not be enough battery to get a decent spark this is true for any vehicle that is gas fired. Trouble shooting is a process, you eliminate the the obvious, and correct the problems as you find them. After you have the easy stuff fixed/adjusted then if there is still a problem you can look for less obvious problems. If you want to learn about these things or if you are knowledgeable and want to help others the process is still the same, find out what is known and build on it. In another words, go from the known to the unknown. Personally I can learn from most people's comments, sometimes learning something new or sometimes just trying to figure out why another member comments are either wrong or don't apply to my problem. Please don't squash this amazing exchange of information by berating one another. :HatTip:
Berating fixed...

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Spitfire wrote:Aw come on fellas lets knock off all the derogatory comments, it doesn't help anyone learn anything. [emoji106] As far as the stator causing a problem I doubt that in and of itself would be my problem as my battery is being fully charged by the charging system. I would think if I was having a problem with the stator it would first manifesting itself as a battery issue. I do know you can run quite a while on the battery without any charge from the generator but eventually you will loose performance as there will not be enough battery to get a decent spark this is true for any vehicle that is gas fired. Trouble shooting is a process, you eliminate the the obvious, and correct the problems as you find them. After you have the easy stuff fixed/adjusted then if there is still a problem you can look for less obvious problems. If you want to learn about these things or if you are knowledgeable and want to help others the process is still the same, find out what is known and build on it. In another words, go from the known to the unknown. Personally I can learn from most people's comments, sometimes learning something new or sometimes just trying to figure out why another member comments are either wrong or don't apply to my problem. Please don't squash this amazing exchange of information by berating one another. :HatTip:
Berating fixed...

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

If its not Dude's uselessness is Vs 1400 tenacity.

What a pair of utter $%^&&* .---oh a bundle of tumble weed just blew by.

The most ghostly forum imaginable.
Oh ---forgot --- Fred and just one guest--- I wonder why.
Just close the forum guys and save some money. I mean not even letchy is here. Is there an echo in here here here here.

whooshbang
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2005 Suzuki Boulevard s83

Post by whooshbang »

not sure if someone mentioned checking the plug cap resistances.... i believe they should measure around 5k ohms. might cause some problems around idle if they have gone high in value.
2005 Suzuki Boulevard s83

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

No registered users and no guests.

Seems like Im not here either. Joke there for some one ---anyone what to pick that one up.

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Well took the bike to the station to fill up the tank, seems it runs better with fuel. Decided to put other things off so I could get some gas in my bike before finishing up the tune up by adjusting the A/F screws. Just about had a cow as it wouldn't stay running long enough to get out of the driveway then I decided to switch it to reserve, runs really good now. :bang: Rode it to the station, about 3 miles, tank filled at 3 gallons, just about empty I guess. :lmao:
On the way home had a pickup pull out in front of me, just me and one other car approaching and this guy just eases on out. Fortunately I'm not an aggressive rider so I had plenty of time to react. First I just flashed my high beams and slowed but he decided to turn into the oncoming lane so then I'm thinking okay now what will he do. Watched him for a split second, wasn't sure he was going to go onto the left shoulder, pull into my lane or go to the far right shoulder ;IDunno: He kept going in the left lane toward the other car so I decided I had best ride on the right shoulder (wide paved shoulder) and accelerate past him. [emoji41] Guess he just never saw me till I flashed him, the other car wasn't close enough to cause any problem unless he didn't get out of their way. :eek: Wasn't really a close call, I had lots of time to react, just totally unnecessary. [emoji106]

Oh, bike seems to be running much better but still want to finish with the fuel mix screws before I go for a real ride. :cheers:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Having fuel helps starving fuel problems.... [emoji2]

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

YoDude wrote:Having fuel helps starving fuel problems.... [emoji2] Yo-

Starving fuel or do you mean fuel starvation. I think we know what you mean.

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Well if it isn't one thing it's another. Bike still not running as it should in my opinion, seems as though it kinda drops off going down the road at speed, sort of comes and goes issue. Then while back at the house getting ready to adjust the af screws it just stopped. :blink: I mean like a switch turned off, no stumble erratic running just OFF. :bang: Started right back up and ran for a minute or so then OFF! Well heck, WTF... started back up and no problem so I quickly gave the screws an adjustment then decided I had enough for this session. I mean after all isn't this kinda what started this whole thing at the beginning of summer. :confused:

Decided I need to check some electrical type things as the sudden off isn't likely to be fuel related IMO. Did you know there is no frickin way to check the CDI, ignitor or whatever you want to call it. The earlier models could be checked with a meter but not the post 98 models, it takes a collection of special tools that are no longer available. :eek: Then it seems if you don't want to buy an OEM ($875-$1000) CDI but an after market CDI they, Dyna, don't make one for the 2005. :hellfire: Sooooo, I found another manufacture that does and they are a lot cheaper ($275) than OEM parts. While I was chatting with them I asked about how to get the current CDI checked to insure it was bad. Basically the answer is check the pickup coils and ignition coils, if they are good it is probably the CDI. :ahha: So I check the pickup coils and what do you know, one of them is open, gotta be less than the $875 for an OEM CDI or $275 for the aftermarket so yea for me. :clap: Guess what... No OEM pickup coils... SUZUKI don't do business like that. :fubird: But I can get them for around $20 each elsewhere only have to make a solder connection inside the case. What a pain in the posterior. And that don't mean there isn't a problem with the CDI, just that I need to fix this thing first. Soooooooooooo.... I'm still working on the Suzuki.
:Umm:

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Oh, btw, any suggestions on getting to the pickup coils before I start this next project? Any pitfalls or handy hints on working smarter not harder are appreciated. :HatTip:

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Well heck, disregard the previous post... after rechecking the wiring schematics I found that the plug that leads to the pickup coils doesn't just go the coils. Seems the black wire from the coils isn't the black wire that goes to the DCI, it becomes a white with green strip that goes to the DCI. The black wire at the DCI goes to the start relay. :blink: Well at least I didn't buy the sensors or even worse tear into the engine for nothing. [emoji106] Back to buying a new DCI, just hope that really is the problem, just can't think of anything else barring an intermittent open somewhere. :donno:

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Yes you will be correct in thinking it is electrical. Check all connections starting from battery to starter solenoid all the way up to the plug under the seat.

Intermittent problem can be difficult.

It can also be a failure in the wiring that passes the steering stock, with years of turning left and right a break in the wire is common in that area.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

That old girl of mine gave me a lot of problems when I first got her, the guy's over on the PB helped a lot but I could not get her running right. I took off the earth cable to clean up the contacts on both ends and noticed that the cable was quite stiff near the battery connection so I made up a new one and fitted it, cleared up a load of misfires and popping. Over the years it had built up a resistance in this area and heat had de-natured the cable.
Just a thought.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Lechy wrote:That old girl of mine gave me a lot of problems when I first got her, the guy's over on the PB helped a lot but I could not get her running right. I took off the earth cable to clean up the contacts on both ends and noticed that the cable was quite stiff near the battery connection so I made up a new one and fitted it, cleared up a load of misfires and popping. Over the years it had built up a resistance in this area and heat had de-natured the cable.
Just a thought.
[emoji41]
That condition was probably caused by the cable not being fastened correctly at the battery or corrosion had gotten to it. Either condition causing resistance at the terminal that causes heat along the cable. This can happen under the insulation along the cable where you can't see it, in the instance of corrosion.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Incredible diagnosis coming this way. :popcorn:

In order of popularity from experts--star washers, flat battery, kill switch, side stand, spark plug gap, wrong head lamp, low tyre pressures. Full moon.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

So smart arse super mechanic circlit, enlighten us with your diagnosis.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Lechy wrote:So smart arse super mechanic circlit, enlighten us with your diagnosis.
[emoji41]

No No you first--what do you think. You know where Preston technical college is don't ya I certainly do. There is one just behind the Prison too and the Blackpool technical college at Bispham.

You know Loxams RR dealers at Preston dock just near the Manx man ferry. So do I.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Just curious, did you ever get it running right?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Close but no cigar. I've had it out a couple of times and no stalling and starts right up but not running quite right. I've had to rethink my techniques a little and am getting a better setup for balancing the carbs. Meanwhile, the wife's C50T is keeping the smiles in place. :rag: