Intruder wiring

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Intruder wiring

Post by Fred »

One of the best wiring ever , a real good high quality job, for instance the Regulator rectifier is a 6 wire system . This type of system went out on the 90's but the Intruder kept it going. If you look at all the wiring diagrams available of the manual that can be down loaded here you will find most have the 6 wire but there appears to be one that uses the 5. That must have been mine!!

The 6th wire is a sensing wire and its location on the bike is critical, the manual shoes its connection at the ign.

This system allows the regulator ( RR) to sense voltage drop in the system and raise accordingly, the 5 wire is supposedly able to do that from Batt voltage.

I modified my 5 to a 6 yesterday, without the 6th sensor wire the voltage would go over 15 heading 16 with just a quick rev. Attaching the wire cause a very low charge.

It became evident I had made a simple mistake by attaching the sensor wire to the out put of the RR meaning it was sensing its own output so shutting down what it though was an over charge situation.

By moving the wire to a slightly lesser voltage the sensor wire was connected to the fuel pump supply that was deeper in the system and worked correctly.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Re: Intruder wiring

Post by Fred »

This simple shunt system is very reliable but does mean through the Zener diode method it has to dump the power back to the gen, this waste unwanted current causes heat hence the heat sink type finned RR.

The shunt system does not reduce the output of the gen as does a car alternator by reducing field excitement it just dumps excess. Basically the simple AC gen is working all the time.

There a guy on The internet that made his own :clap: Simply 3 bridge diodes with 3 zeners that spill current once it set limit is reached .

3 bridges rectify the AC to DC ,--- and 3 zeners dump excess,-- Any thing more simple than that!!! and thats all there is to it.

How much is a new suzuki RR?