bike dies without throttle

prormsby
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: vs1400

bike dies without throttle

Post by prormsby »

Well, if it's not one thing it's another with me these days... The bike had been randomly turning off on me, normally when I was on idle, and it progressively became worse. Now the bike starts up, runs for 2-3 seconds, and dies, unless I hold the throttle on, which it runs fine. I have replaced the plugs, no change. The bike ran great and now just sits there because I can't figure it out. I have read it may be a pilot jet plugg, I have yet to check that, mostly because I don't know how to tell if it's plugged and what to do. Ideas as to what else it could be? Thanks in advance for any advice.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: bike dies without throttle

Post by YoDude »

You could try running some SeaFoam through the carbs and see if that will help or not. Please follow directions when doing this. Some people just dump in the whole can thinking they'll super clean everything out of the carbs and then they tell of the bike spitting out white smoke by the boatloads after doing that. It won't harm the bike, if you do, but probably doesn't help at all either.

You'll want to check your air filters closely too. They WILL disintegrate in time and clog up air jets in the carb(s) as well. This can cause the bike to run rich on one or both jugs, evidenced by black, sometimes wet spark plugs.

New stock air filters can be had on ebay for about 15-20 $US. K & N filters that are drop ins can be had at about 4 times the price, but once you have them, you never need to replace them, just clean and re-use.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

When you add the SeaFoam it may take overnight to do any good....If it don't help I think the carbs need to be cleaned/rebuilt. (Plugged pilot jets) :bang:
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

prormsby
Tricycles are Cool

Post by prormsby »

thanks guys! I have tried seafoam, no dice, still cuts off consistently at 2-3 seconds. I have also tried the idle screw, no change. Would it do me any good to open the carb? I know nothing about how to mess with them, so ive been reluctant.

I will look into getting the battery tested, I did just get a new one right when it started getting really bad, but it was not an immediate change when I changed the battery. Any recommendations on which brand to get if I need a new one? or decide to just get one? this one was everstart I think from walmart.

prormsby
Tricycles are Cool

Post by prormsby »

Thanks for all the help, sorry I have not been very clear, everything is jumbled in my mind about this thing. I did have the tank off, but rode it for about a week before I started having problems. When I changed the idle, the bike starts, runs for about 2 seconds, with higher or lower rpm- depending on which way I moved the screw, does the same if I use the choke, and like clockwork, at 2-3 seconds, it shuts off. If I lay on the throttle decently well, it'll run, but when I start getting close to idle or at idle, it shuts off.

I have synced the carbs about three months ago, and took off the tank after that just to check something. I do have K&N drop-ins, with cobra drag pipes and thunder monster baffles, yet have not done any carb work, as I figured I'd do it if I started seeing a problem, which I didn't for the short few weeks I was riding it on and off. It's hard to say how well it was performing as it was so cold, I usually just went around the block to keep the bike from sitting all winter... that sounds dramatic, I live in Texas and am just a sissy. I did notice in those short rides that it would shut off when I was in 2nd gear and had the clutch in, when slowing down to go over speed bumps or something of that sort. It progressively got worse from there. Sometimes it dies off and I have to hit the start button a few times before it will even turn over, other times it starts right up.

I figure it wasn't a gas issue, as it turns over and starts like it always has, just shuts off immediately after 2-3 seconds. Battery was replaced not long ago, gas isn't that old, had run sea foam through it every few weeks, carbs synced. I think that covers it?

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

What about your spark plugs and the condition of the ignitor connections? Also, how about the electrical connections between the alternator and the Rectifier/Regulator? Electrical connections on these bikes can sometimes be very problematic and often look like, or give symptoms like fuel starvation.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.