Kuryakyn

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Kuryakyn

Post by jonnycando »

So I've got a winter project to do on my bike. I've got the charger pigtail and, and the GPS wire all hooked to the one lonely accessory terminal, and I want to add a phone cradle and charger. So I reckon to hide a bus bar somewhere on the bike, and tap my accessories off of it, so I don't have so much spaghetti in the fuse box. Each device will have it's own fuse too, so servicing should be straighforward. I got most of what I need to go forward, except I ended up in a Snafu with Kuryakyn....I ordered a phone cradle.....and all it got was that....a cradle....nothing to mount it with.....look on line and see the mounts are extra since there's several to choose.....order what I think is right, and I get a mounting ring...only...still need the stuff that goes in the middle.....call Kuryakyn and say hey...."is there a way I can do this without ordering one part at a time?" He says, "well, what have you got already?"I explain what I have, and he goes...."OH! you need one of these and one of these, and one of these....." And I say "send em!" He also volunteered that a lot of folks end up doing like I did....and I wonder....couldn't the website be a bit more clear?....or maybe they just like charging everyone four trips of shipping costs! At least my winter project won't end up starting in spring riding season!

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Kuryakyn

Post by Lechy »

You are getting ripped right off.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

That's a crazy way to do business.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Lechy wrote:You are getting ripped right off.
[emoji41]
Yeah, but what's a body to do? :bonk:

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Grow old disgracefully young man.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

A little too cartoonish........... :rag:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

jonnycando wrote:
A little too cartoonish........... :rag:
and a cellphone mount on the handlebars isn't... Gps I can understand.

I would have returned the first piece, with a bad review of their business practice...
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

I don't know if it's a business practice so much as opaque web site design....it really does need to be reworked so that if you pick item A, and might need other things to go with it you get not just a message to look for that item, but a small window that says, "you also need exactly this, or these" and a button to put them in your shopping cart. They don't make everything they sell, and are remarketers for some items. But as an ecommerce agent, they need to look at everything they sell and be sure that every purchaser has the clear opportunity to acquire all the correct extra bits they might need. In fact, for my own quest, when I searched phone cradles, it should first offer me complete kits, and they do have them....and only lower in the list of offerings show individual bits. It could be I only needed a mounting ring, but such should not be the first item in a search list unless I searched for it specifically. A fuzzy logic approach to analyzing search terms would be needed too. I searched phone cradle.....it should figure that I want the complete system, not just a replacement cradle for an existing system....for example.....and show me complete kits......first.....and individual replacement bits lower in the list.

For what's it's worth....I have enough on hand to begin planning my attack.....seat off today, and looking at likely spots to mount a bus bar.

And Herb....yes, it's going to be a busy handlebar.....but it is what it is and I am what I am. [emoji41]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I didn't go to the kuryakyn site, but I did go to a number of other sites looking for "motorcycle handlebar cell phone mounts". All of them were very explicit what the individual parts are and what the complete kits are. Some, but not all, of them did list the individual parts first, but they were clearly labeled as individual parts.
Still sounds like a lousy site/business practice.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

Well, I got it all done...may tweak it a bit but, it all works, and all the wires are hidden. The bus bar ended up under the pillion behind the relay pack, that turned out to be the best place for it.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Alright, got 'er done, awesome!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.