modifying compression valve

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

modifying compression valve

Post by ardo »

Hi all, a while ago I found an article on intruder alert coffee, about adding a washer in the compression valve to make the bike start quicker, I lost that info along with my computer, does anyone know what was the procedure ? it made big difference on my previous bike, I like to do the same on the now bike 2000 intruder 1400. thank you.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Re: modifying compression valve

Post by jonnycando »

Don't do it....the decomp system is there for a reason. It saves the starter. Modifying it to speed up the start sequence just puts more load on the tiny starter and it will wear sooner rather than later.

ardo
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ardo »

hmm, thank you for you reply, as I remember, it was adding a small washer behind the spring to add more pressure, the way it is now starts very hard it takes so many tries and raising the idle up so high until it catches up, I have brand new battery and brand new plugs.

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Not sure but it sounds like you are talking about adding a spring to the coast valve not the decomp valve. In that case the problem it is suppose to correct is the engine stalling or dying when letting off the throttle not starting issues. I know there are people on this forum better able to discuss this than I if that is the spring you are referring to. :rag:

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

Spitfire wrote:Not sure but it sounds like you are talking about adding a spring to the coast valve not the decomp valve. In that case the problem it is suppose to correct is the engine stalling or dying when letting off the throttle not starting issues. I know there are people on this forum better able to discuss this than I if that is the spring you are referring to. :rag:
+1
It's the coast valve and it does nothing for starting. There's also controversy over whether that actually helps.
I would say you're not using your enricher properly, your idle is too low to begin with or your other bike had the a/f mixture screw adjusted to compensate for using the enricher improperly. Shim if you like, but that's not going to help your issue. You'd be better off raising your idle and adjusting your a/f mixture. And FWIW, the decomp helps with cranking, not starting.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.