How to make custom seat

Truder85
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 94 intruder 1400

How to make custom seat

Post by Truder85 »

This is how to make custom seat (my way).
There are 1001 ways to make a seat this is mine.
First you need a hard surface so the resin wont dripp, cardboard is good for that, then you'll have to cover the bike with plastic bags to protec it and also resin does not stick to plastic so it will remove easy.
Next cut desired lenght of fiberglass mat and mix the resin following instructions on the can.
The fiberglass mesh that i got is from my local boat supply shop it's real strong and inexpensive like 8$ a square yard.
3 layers of it is good enough for me so after you just have to trim the excest with a cutoff wheel sand the rough edges and that is pretty much it.
The hump in the front is where i put the CDI box at first but didn't like the look so cut it off after the seat was done and re-friberglass it smooth.
The CDI is now on the side of the bike under the cover i modify (reserve tank from a virago).
Now all you need is to cover the seat pan with foam and material.
For that i'm lucky cause my father has been doing upholstery for about 40 years so went to his shop and got closed cell foam(more dense) and glued it to the pan. Again this pic was with the CDI under the pan before i changed it, didn't have pics without it.
And last recover everything with material.
This is the end result, to hold it to the bike i glued velcro strip to the seat pan and frame.
This is a pic all done on the bike, note it's old pics, now the bike has different handelbars on it but you get the idea.

Only took half a day to do and a few beers.
The cost was almost inexistent resin was the most expensive for me off course did not have to pay for the foam and leather but a good upholstery shop would not charge much to cover it.
Hope that will inspire a few to try it out by-themself, it's not that hard.
Personnally I prefer to make my own stuff it's more rewarding for me to tell people that I made it not bought it.

Flex
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Custom 1987 Intruder VS1400

Re: How to make custom seat

Post by Flex »

Thanks for sharing [emoji2]
Doing a custom seat for mine as well at some point.
Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

Truder85
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 94 intruder 1400

Re: How to make custom seat

Post by Truder85 »

Flex wrote:Thanks for sharing [emoji2]
Doing a custom seat for mine as well at some point.

No problem!!
Post some pics when you make a seat.