Constant battery drain.

Piltdown911
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1994 Intruder

Constant battery drain.

Post by Piltdown911 »

Had battery and charging system checked, was told they are ok. I can have full charge on the battery and go out a couple of hours later and it doesn't have enough left to turn it over. Any ideas? :bang:
"Between the velvet lies there's a truth as hard as steel" - Ronnie James Dio

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Constant battery drain.

Post by Lechy »

Did you get the battery load tested?

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Did you remove the key in OFF, not P(ark)? Any additions to the electrical system?
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Piltdown911
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Piltdown911 »

Lechy wrote:Did you get the battery load tested?

[emoji41]
Yes, they claimed it was good.

Piltdown911
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Piltdown911 »

WintrSol wrote:Did you remove the key in OFF, not P(ark)? Any additions to the electrical system?
Yes, key was in off position, this problem has been dogging me since last fall.

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!

Post by Lechy »

Piltdown911 wrote:

[emoji41]
Don't trust them, they probably just checked the voltage. Take your battery to a reputable outlet and make sure they do the test.
If the charging system is indeed good, the only problems you may have is a duff battery or the + &/or - leads have de-natured. not a big deal to make up new leads, a suggestion would me to crimp and solder the connectors, also make sure that the battery terminals and connectors are shiny clean, if you are using the OEM battery fit star washers under the mounting bolts.
[emoji41]

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!

Post by Lechy »

Damn, I'm forgetting the basics.
Did you check the electrolyte level in the battery?

[emoji41]

geeintruder
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: vs1400 93

Post by geeintruder »

if its a normal electrolyte battery, check for specific gravity also. basics.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Specific Gravity is helpful...but these days a load test tells all that needs to be known.

Piltdown911
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Piltdown911 »

Lechy wrote:
Piltdown911 wrote:

[emoji41]
Don't trust them, they probably just checked the voltage. Take your battery to a reputable outlet and make sure they do the test.
If the charging system is indeed good, the only problems you may have is a duff battery or the + &/or - leads have de-natured. not a big deal to make up new leads, a suggestion would me to crimp and solder the connectors, also make sure that the battery terminals and connectors are shiny clean, if you are using the OEM battery fit star washers under the mounting bolts.
[emoji41]
Checked the level in the battery, I do believe I will get a second opinion on the battery condition. I replaced the connectors when the problem first appeared. I wonder if somehow the battery is good and the power isn't somehow being lost somewhere else such as a bad ignition switch or...

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

I have a hand-held CCA tester, and it said to replace the battery in my CB450 - should be ~200, measured ~90. So, I installed a MotoBatt, which tested at just under 200CCA. On a whim, I tested from the battery plus to the engine case, and read ~140. So, I unbolted the ground at the engine case, cleaned it and the contact area on the case with DeOxit and a toothbrush, then put it back together. Now it reads ~195 to the case, and the engine cranks a LOT better. Seems it hadn't been apart in many years, and just grew some contamination.
Florissant, MO

Piltdown911
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Piltdown911 »

WintrSol wrote:I have a hand-held CCA tester, and it said to replace the battery in my CB450 - should be ~200, measured ~90. So, I installed a MotoBatt, which tested at just under 200CCA. On a whim, I tested from the battery plus to the engine case, and read ~140. So, I unbolted the ground at the engine case, cleaned it and the contact area on the case with DeOxit and a toothbrush, then put it back together. Now it reads ~195 to the case, and the engine cranks a LOT better. Seems it hadn't been apart in many years, and just grew some contamination.
Just plain sounds like a good idea - and cheap too, I will be doing that next.

geeintruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by geeintruder »

WintrSol wrote:I have a hand-held CCA tester, and it said to replace the battery in my CB450 - should be ~200, measured ~90. So, I installed a MotoBatt, which tested at just under 200CCA. On a whim, I tested from the battery plus to the engine case, and read ~140. So, I unbolted the ground at the engine case, cleaned it and the contact area on the case with DeOxit and a toothbrush, then put it back together. Now it reads ~195 to the case, and the engine cranks a LOT better. Seems it hadn't been apart in many years, and just grew some contamination.
hmm i think i should do this also, i mean by cleaning the contacts to the ground, but i also added one independent ground wire, directly from the negative terminal, via a 8 gauge cable to the body of the starter. it really does make a difference.

my next project would be a boostpack, hybrid with the battery YTX16, i hope the boostpack would really help in cranking power

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

It surely couldn't hurt to add an extra ground lead; with the amount of starting power the 1400 needs, every milliOhm in the ground path can make a big difference. My car (Pontiac Solstice) has several ground leads, and every one has to be in good condition, or odd behavior ensues.
Florissant, MO

Piltdown911
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Piltdown911 »

WintrSol wrote:It surely couldn't hurt to add an extra ground lead; with the amount of starting power the 1400 needs, every milliOhm in the ground path can make a big difference. My car (Pontiac Solstice) has several ground leads, and every one has to be in good condition, or odd behavior ensues.
I will also check into doing that.

geeintruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by geeintruder »

yes, and i just get an idea of making a bus bar that would distribute ground to important components of the bike.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

bus bars are the best think since sliced bread!

Plus1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 05 s83 trike

Post by Plus1 »

I had the same problem. I even went as far as a new battery. The one in it was older anyway. Just like the old one the battery tested fine but wouldn't hold a charge long. Wound up changing regulator and haven't had a problem since. It might not be your problem but it might be worth a shot. $34 bucks off eBay.

geeintruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by geeintruder »

Plus1 wrote:I had the same problem. I even went as far as a new battery. The one in it was older anyway. Just like the old one the battery tested fine but wouldn't hold a charge long. Wound up changing regulator and haven't had a problem since. It might not be your problem but it might be worth a shot. $34 bucks off eBay.
i have mine charging at 13.7V revved, 12.9V idle. but i have the same thing, battery wouldnt hold charge. if i didnt start my bike for a week, it would have enough power to turn the engine. might need to check my wirings. or else im gonna get a battery isolator.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

geeintruder wrote:
Plus1 wrote:I had the same problem. I even went as far as a new battery. The one in it was older anyway. Just like the old one the battery tested fine but wouldn't hold a charge long. Wound up changing regulator and haven't had a problem since. It might not be your problem but it might be worth a shot. $34 bucks off eBay.
i have mine charging at 13.7V revved, 12.9V idle. but i have the same thing, battery wouldnt hold charge. if i didnt start my bike for a week, it would have enough power to turn the engine. might need to check my wirings. or else im gonna get a battery isolator.
If you suspect a power drain, you can disconnect the negative battery terminal, then connect your multimeter between it and the cable, set to Amps; start at the highest setting, then go down. With the key off, it should read 0.0; if not, start pulling fuses. With all fuses out, if there is still current, look for pinched wires.
Florissant, MO