Engine Noise.. How do you fix it..

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Engine Noise.. How do you fix it..

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Saw this youtube video and wondering what happened and how would one correct it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Us3sJoZwI

Thoughts and ideas?

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Engine Noise.. How do you fix it..

Post by Lechy »

Sounds like a compression leak, first I would check the plugs to make sure they were fully snugged up. Then I would be checking out the header gaskets. One job I hate doing on these girls would be gapping the valve lash.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:Saw this youtube video and wondering what happened and how would one correct it?
Louder Pipes? Full face helmet? Ear plugs?

I agree with Lechy, it sounds like an exhaust leak I had once at the header pipe. It also could be the gap between the valves and the rocker arms being too large and like his other suggestion a valve lash adjustment.
Scott

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Lechy wrote:Sounds like a compression leak, first I would check the plugs to make sure they were fully snugged up. Then I would be checking out the header gaskets. One job I hate doing on these girls would be gapping the valve lash.
[emoji41]
Hmm.. okay. Valve lash issue would start out with low volume tapping and get louder over time with riding if not corrected or is it something that just happens like over night?

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

scootermcq wrote:
BRONX INTRUDER wrote:Saw this youtube video and wondering what happened and how would one correct it?
Louder Pipes? Full face helmet? Ear plugs?

I agree with Lechy, it sounds like an exhaust leak I had once at the header pipe. It also could be the gap between the valves and the rocker arms being too large and like his other suggestion a valve lash adjustment.
Okay, Gap between valves and rocker arms being too big.. that a progressive issue or something that just happens over night? lol.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Found another similar video..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKpr2walK1M

I'll check plugs and gaskets first and then worry about it if those aren't the culprits. lol.

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!

Post by Lechy »

Actually Bronx, As the valve seats wear the valve lash decreases and the engine would run quieter. If the locking nut wasn't snugged up enough on the previous adjustment it could loosen and cause the tapping noise to increase quite rapidly. On a tappet type valve I always set on the loose side as the old saying goes, "a tappy valve is a happy valve" I could go a lot deeper into it but it should suffice to say that if you can't hear a slight tapping you stand a chance of burning out the valves. Too slack and about all you would loose would be a little power.
It was my final suggestion after all.
These 800's do have a problem with the timing chain adjuster failing or falling to pieces, not really a major problem just annoying. Also, Intruders have a tendency for piston slap.
As I stated, I would first be looking for a compression leak especially if the last service was done at the dealership. The dumbnuts sometimes don't fully torque up the plugs allowing compressed gasses to by-pass through the compression washer.
[emoji41]

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Lechy wrote:Actually Bronx, As the valve seats wear the valve lash decreases and the engine would run quieter. If the locking nut wasn't snugged up enough on the previous adjustment it could loosen and cause the tapping noise to increase quite rapidly. On a tappet type valve I always set on the loose side as the old saying goes, "a tappy valve is a happy valve" I could go a lot deeper into it but it should suffice to say that if you can't hear a slight tapping you stand a chance of burning out the valves. Too slack and about all you would loose would be a little power.
It was my final suggestion after all.
These 800's do have a problem with the timing chain adjuster failing or falling to pieces, not really a major problem just annoying. Also, Intruders have a tendency for piston slap.
As I stated, I would first be looking for a compression leak especially if the last service was done at the dealership. The dumbnuts sometimes don't fully torque up the plugs allowing compressed gasses to by-pass through the compression washer.
[emoji41]
Gotcha. lol. It's a vs1400. Think only the vs800 had to have the valves adjusted every so often but the vs1400's are supposed to be self adjusting.
I'll look into things and see what's what and get back if I find anything useful or a solution. lol.

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!

Post by Lechy »

OK , Check out the decompression adjustment.
[emoji41]

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by JamesC »

I had that noise on my 97 Intruder. I thought for sure it was coming from the engine. I would ride with my head next to the cylinders trying to figure out what the heck could be making that noise. When I gave her throttle, it got louder. But it wasn't the engine at all, it was the gas cap. Intruders have those funny shaped gas caps, and the tail end will tap against the tank driving you nuts. I bought a set of round rubber plumbing gaskets, rolled it down over the key assembly like a condom; and it stopped the tapping. If you think that may be what is happening, put the bike in neutral and give it throttle while holding your hand down hard on the gas cap. If you no longer hear the noise, that's the problem.

Luciddreamer
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 93 intruder 1400

Post by Luciddreamer »

My bike has the same noise going on, I've been searching for someone with an answer, I have a 93 with 93xx on it. Could it be from running 15w-40? Also have slight smoking from the front cylinder when I first fire up, bad rings? Smells gassy :bang: MONTANA INTRUDER 1400!

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by JamesC »

I'll say it again. First check your gas cap. If it doesn't make that noise when you hold it down with your hand, the gasket is shot and you need to fix it. Not every problem has to have a complicated answer.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

So Wasn't spark plugs or exhaust. I changed oil and filter and the tap faded away after a few minutes. Hope it stays that way. lol.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:So Wasn't spark plugs or exhaust. I changed oil and filter and the tap faded away after a few minutes. Hope it stays that way. lol.
Wrong oil, partially plugged filter? Only time will tell.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Post by NE_FL »

That sounded like metal on metal, so I'm not surprised changing the oil did the trick. Dirty, worn out oil loses its lubricating attributes over time. To visualize it, think about what it would sound like using water instead of oil in the crankcase!