02 VS1400 rear cylinder colder and popping at idle

Boonie2
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2002 Vs1400

02 VS1400 rear cylinder colder and popping at idle

Post by Boonie2 »

Hi guys , have an 02 1400 intruder with 7K miles , bought it from a co-worker who had it for sale at a motorcycle shop , supposidly while it was for sale there they "rebuilt" the carbs. New Battery , and it sat there for 4 months until I bought it ...
I decided to have them replace the air filters with K&N Drop Ins and put a set of new plugs in it ...which they did , and I also put on a set of Vance and Hines Classic 2 Slip ons last week ....
Now i get that I've increased the airflow with the drop ins , and changed the back pressure with those slip ons ...
I really don"t want to have them rejet the carbs to get rid of the popping I have from the REAR cylinder Its a matter of $$$ ,[Rear cylinder is also cold at idle and sounds like air is sucking in and out , if that makes any sense ] only at idle , Seems to run really good and strong otherwise....
Does anyone think that the popping can be solved with an A/F adjustment and syncing the Carbs ?? AND will the popping do any damage to the engine ?
Obviously im NOT a motorcycle Machanic , ANY advise at all would be appriciated , Thanks Guys !!
RIDE SAFE :putput:

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: 02 VS1400 rear cylinder colder and popping at idle

Post by Lechy »

Adjust the AF setting. Then synch the carbs. Youtube has video clips.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Boonie2
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Boonie2 »

ronnie3945
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 07 S831400

Post by ronnie3945 »

Hey,
Did you get your carb issue corrected? I purchased an 07 that had a similar problem. Its almost certainly a carb sync issue. These engines are very temperamental when it comes to their carbs.

Thunderbirds1
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1993 1400 Intruder

Post by Thunderbirds1 »

Boonie2 wrote:Hi guys , have an 02 1400 intruder with 7K miles , bought it from a co-worker who had it for sale at a motorcycle shop , supposidly while it was for sale there they "rebuilt" the carbs. New Battery , and it sat there for 4 months until I bought it ...
I decided to have them replace the air filters with K&N Drop Ins and put a set of new plugs in it ...which they did , and I also put on a set of Vance and Hines Classic 2 Slip ons last week ....
Now i get that I've increased the airflow with the drop ins , and changed the back pressure with those slip ons ...
I really don"t want to have them rejet the carbs to get rid of the popping I have from the REAR cylinder Its a matter of $$$ ,[Rear cylinder is also cold at idle and sounds like air is sucking in and out , if that makes any sense ] only at idle , Seems to run really good and strong otherwise....
Does anyone think that the popping can be solved with an A/F adjustment and syncing the Carbs ?? AND will the popping do any damage to the engine ?
Obviously im NOT a motorcycle Machanic , ANY advise at all would be appriciated , Thanks Guys !!
Popping is ALWAYS a fuel starvation issue. Now you have to figure out why. In 2 of my 3 cases it was the idle jet plugged because I had debris from my tank enter the carb. Once it was the filter screen plugged...

It could be a/f mixture. Rarely do I suggest synching as a first fix, unless you had some work done.

Hope this helps.

Lee

Boonie2
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Boonie2 »

Been a VERY long story with this Bike , bought used from a bike shop that supposidly had already redone the carbs . that NEVER happened , Thanks for all the input guys ! Been having both Carbs redone at a dealership , should be finished on Tuesday evening , The dealer machanic took pics while he was disassembling the carbs before cleaning them and installing new jets etc. definatelty needed a clean and rebuild , everything was gummed up and clogged , going to cost big $$$ but WTH its only got 7K orig miles and it'll be new bike when finished so its all good . Hope to be back on the rode by Tuesday night .... :putput:

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

If you still have problems, we are here to help, if not, ride it like you stole it.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.