Ever use SeaFoam in oil on 1400?

Thunderbirds1
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1993 1400 Intruder

Ever use SeaFoam in oil on 1400?

Post by Thunderbirds1 »

All,

I've used Sea Foam in all the vehicles, mostly in the fuel systems, and every few years in the oil system in the cages... Really does a good job loosening some sludge before an oil change. Never drive more than 300 - 500 miles after adding, then do an oil change with good warm engine.

My question is, has anyone used Sea Foam in the oil systems on a bike (Wet clutch and stuff like that)? And would anyone recommend for or against it?

I'm really curious about all your answers.

Thank!

Lee

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Re: Ever use SeaFoam in oil on 1400?

Post by Blaine »

I have used it several times in bikes with a wet clutch with no issues at all. :)
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

I ran seafoam in a severely neglected motor. When I unscrewed the oil filter nothing came out... I would prefer to run a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase before I went to the sea foam and only save the seafoam for severe applications.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by JamesC »

Do you use the Mystery Oil during the oil change Leckbass, or run it for a few miles before the oil change and then just use straight up oil?

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

JamesC wrote:Do you use the Mystery Oil during the oil change Leckbass, or run it for a few miles before the oil change and then just use straight up oil?
That's how either should be used. A small amount added to the old oil, draining a small amount out, if need be, to fit it in the crankcase. But I wouldn't use Seafoam in my oil, as it's simple too thin to provide any protection and certainly doesn't add any lubrication. MMO, maybe, but only for like a 10-15 mile ride to clean up clutch fibers when an oil with friction modifiers was previously used.

Small amounts in your gas of either or both is all you really need. No benefit in the crankcase if you change your oil regularly.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

I would only use it in a neglected engine. I only chose to use this sea foam because when I bought an old Honda Shadow, the guy never change the oil, ever!

I added the seafoam and ran the bike just to get the old oil out.

If I use a MMO, I would also do just a short five to ten mile drive immediately preceding the oil change.

When I bought my Intruder, I used MMO in the crankcase just before the first oil change, after that I never use that again. Really not necessary.

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

Here is the official Seafoam response:

d.d...@seafoamsale.com (d.d...@seafoamsales.com)

Subject: Sea Foam

Sea Foam is a 100% pure blended petroleum oil product, NO CHEMICALS. That is just FYI!

Sea Foam should be used in the fuel in your motorcycle, to clean carbon, add lubrication to the fuel, clean the fuel system, dry moisture and stabilize your fuel for up to 2 years. That would be at one ounce per gallon of fuel.

Now, here's your answer/technical education for today:

Sea Foam is also widely recommended for engine oil crankcases for cleaning oil residues and drying moisture as a pre service cleaner, after service additive or problem solver for oil residue related problems. ALL ENGINES!

If your wet clutch and engine oil share fluids, then Sea Foam Motor Treatment # SF-16 is EXCELLENT for that system. Partly because residue causes problems, but mainly because there may be excessive moisture in a shared system like that.

Moisture is the #1 thing that will deteriorate a "water based adhesive" clutch. That would be a clutch material with a water base glue as it's "Binding" material, similar to what is used in all automatic transmissions, where an oil based adhesive would dissolve in the oil or fluid.

ANY system that uses a "WET" clutch, the clutch material itself is made with and adheres to the steel components using water based adhesives, plus sometimes rivets. Like "SUPER ELMER'S GLUE", but, of course, BETTER QUALITY!

Some wet clutch systems use hydraulic oils/ATF's, in which case Sea Foam TRANS TUNE would be recommended, it is for hydraulic oils, and all the above apply.

Hope this helps!
Technical Services Manager
Sea Foam Sales Company
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Scott

sgtcall
BIKE REPOED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I use Marvel Mystery Oil about 1 or 2 hundred miles before an oil change. I have not had any issues with it. I also add some to my gas every three or four fill ups. It just seems to like it.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Thunderbirds1
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1993 1400 Intruder

Post by Thunderbirds1 »

All,

THANK YOU for your input. All is appreciated...

No problems with the bikes at this time, but may use it in the future. Works good in the cars.

Again, Thanks!

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Seafoam is great in the gas tank, and Marvel's is a miracle in the crank case! On carburetted cars, I would put MMO in the gas too. And I even put some in a Jeep Wrangler whose fuel pump sounded like jet trying to spool up. I thought it might burn up like that...I put MMO in the gas, and never heard another peep out of that pump! And it never quit working.

Joe A
Learning My Moped
My Bike: The Legendary Classic

Post by Joe A »

d.d...@seafoamsale.com wrote: Sea Foam is a 100% pure blended petroleum oil product, NO CHEMICALS.
I have used Seafoam quite a bit, and it seems to be beneficial, but bullshit like this makes me cringe.

According to its Material Safety Data Sheet, Seafoam consists of paraffinic light oil, naptha, and isopropyl alcohol. All of which, by definition, are... CHEMICALS!

Reminds me of the fuzzy logic of gal at the bike shop's opinion of fuel additives: "Never put anything in your bike you wouldn't put in your baby's bottle." So... you'd put gasoline in your baby's bottle? Maybe I should call CPS.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Ispopropyl Alcohol doesn't usually come from Oil...though with appropriate chemistry it can. But it's been around I think longer than we ever knew how to crack oil. So...it indeed is best defined as a chemical. Possible a natural one...but a chemical.