I need a new battery - what to buy

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

I need a new battery - what to buy

Post by wj_hurd »

I searched trying to find a post to assist in my research... But I found none.

So.. It looks like my battery is starting to give up the ghost. What do you all suggestion. Mind you, I have a vacation coming up, and I might stall till after then to get it, but I don't think she'll make it through the rest of the season. I put a 10amp charge on it over night and in the morning she spun up really nice.. No issues, and I even stalled her once and she popped off quick.

So here's my findings so far.
Local stores:
Advance Auto:
AutoCraft 12-Volt Sealed AGM Premium Powersport Battery, 200 CCA - $104
Autozone:
Duralast Gold Motorcycle and Power Sport Battery Part Number: ETX16 (230CCA) (Guessing this is the correct P/N off my research) -$95
Batteries Plus:
Xtreme AGM Battery CYLA16BS1XTA (230CCA)- $90

Online:
http://www.batterymart.com/
YTX16-BS-1 AGM Maintenance Free Battery - $67 (Free shipping) but its a side screw post, not top :confused:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com
BikeMaster Maintenance Free Battery (BTX16-BS-1) - $71 W/shipping
And good ol ebay... which I can find a plethora of different makes, I'll just search by model number.
Some as cheep as $45 w/Free shipping :blink:

So any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :HatTip:
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Re: I need a new battery - what to buy

Post by enforcer »

Let's start with the first issue. You should never, and I mean never, use any higher than a 2A charger on a motorcycle battery of any size. You will cook it and diminish it's life. Smart charger or not.

Now for the battery options. There was a Texas Toast battery cook off on there other site. Since that has been lost, I'll give you the jist.

G Batt always came out on top. The way it's designed, you get AGM features in a lead acid type design. It will last you twice as long as any normal lead acid or AGM.

Lead acid has one advantage, no catastrophic failure. That decision is up to you.

Motobatt is often suggested in lieu of a G Batt. The cost saving to me isn't worth it. You'd be better buying the G Batt.

Now, I'm the minority. Considering the battery location, I'd rather have AGM all day long. I'm also cheap. Any AGM battery to me is just fine. Even eBay ones. Most are the exact same battery just rebranded by whoever sells it at the moment. I've purchased several had the same one in my Intruder for 5 years before I traded it in. The key is a maintainer when you're not riding it.

So, in recap. G Batt if you can afford it, AGM if you plan on keeping it on a maintainer, lead acid if you let it go dead a lot.

I have a trick I use to revive my AGMs (that everyone says is too difficult) that I believe I've shared on this forum before. But keep in mind an AGM can only be brought back so many times before it quits.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Links to the batteries I mentioned

GBat

Exact eBay battery I use

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

enforcer wrote:Links to the batteries I mentioned

Exact eBay battery I use
The G battery is just not in the budget for me... The other one looks pretty good and a very good price!

I question because it is so cheap.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

I bought mine from
http://chromebattery.shopgate.com

3 years ago it was $42.

Still running strong.

BobsterD
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1990 Intruder 1400

Post by BobsterD »

MotoBatt MBTX16U---- great battery, I love it.

http://www.motobatt.com/

Picked it up on Amazon for a great price.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

wj_hurd wrote:

Exact eBay battery I use
The G battery is just not in the budget for me... The other one looks pretty good and a very good price!

5 years, no issues. Probably still running in the bike. Cheap doesn't always mean poor quality. Like I stated before, most AGM are all just the same, rebranded battery.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

enforcer wrote:
wj_hurd wrote:

Exact eBay battery I use

5 years, no issues. Probably still running in the bike. Cheap doesn't always mean poor quality. Like I stated before, most AGM are all just the same, rebranded battery.
I wonder if this is that battery, just painted and rebranded
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191923254206?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

But I'm concerned... the one you posted is 140 CCA... and all others I have found are 200+ will that be enough? :Umm:

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

wj_hurd wrote:
enforcer wrote:
wj_hurd wrote:

Exact eBay battery I use

I wonder if this is that battery, just painted and rebranded
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191923254206?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Over and under, they look pretty similar to me.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:
BobsterD wrote:MotoBatt MBTX16U---- great battery, I love it.

Great battery. Just be careful about Amazon, they sold me a dud. They made good on it, but it took some complaining.

In related battery news...

Just this morning I went to a Citgo to gas up the cruiser. When I pulled in, I notice a real sharp, Intruder VS700 at the pumps. Two guys are hovered over it and looking real confused. I start to suspect it might be stolen! So, after I gas up, I saunter over to check things out. By now, one of the guys split. The other, a Russian fella about 60 yrs. old, tells me the bike won't start. I offer to assist!

The bike was hard to get into neutral, but after I got it there, I pushed the starter. Nothing. All the lights go out. Turn the key off and back to start, nothing. I notice there is a volt meter hooked up to the handlebars, so that has me curious. I kept playing with the ignition and eventually notice if I turned it from OFF to PARKING and then to RUN, the lights came on. But, push the button and they all go out. When the lights were on, the voltmeter said 10.3 volts. I tell the guy he has an electrical issue. He doesn't believe it because he "just cleaned up the terminals and tightened them up before leaving" on his trip from Ft. Meyers, FL to Jacksonville.

Well, I tell him again there is a battery issue. We push start the bike and it finally fires up, but is running like a dog. Missing on one cylinder, trying to stall, all the usual electrical issues. But, the voltmeter was reading 13.2v while running. He doesn't know what to do since he's unfamiliar with my city, so I offer to lead him to a nearby cycle shop. A Harley indie shop, but hey, he probably has batteries there!

I felt bad because I have an Intruder battery at the house I would've given him, but I wasn't sure it would fit the 700. Not to mention, I was too far away to get it for him. But, I stressed to him that he needed to sort that issue out before leaving again. I suggested he rip out that voltmeter and put star washers on his battery, right after being sure it had a good load test.

He looked at me like I was speaking Greek. [emoji2]

Warren, get the battery sorted out. I don't work close enough to you to help you out!
Keith, I know for a fact a 1400 battery will work in a 700. How? Because I used one. That battery I linked to was the exact one I used. I had to make an adapter for the terminals as mine were on the side and those were on the front. Other than that, the dimensions were nearly identical.

Probably couldn't help him with that battery anyhow. Unless your store it on a tender. It's probably long gone by now.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

98VS1400 wrote:
BobsterD wrote:MotoBatt MBTX16U---- great battery, I love it.

Great battery. Just be careful about Amazon, they sold me a dud. They made good on it, but it took some complaining.

Warren, get the battery sorted out. I don't work close enough to you to help you out!
Thanks Keith! I saw them on there too! About $108 :HatTip:

A little update... after my hefty 10 amp charge (Which I did see Enforcer scold me on! :bonk: ) It have had no issues as of yet. Yesterday she fired right up without any hesitation, all day every start. Hot, cold choke no choke.
Then this morning, not a problem. Ran great all the way to work, managed to stall her twice, and she popped right off.
I'm keeping a close eye on her, I'm beginning to think I did this to myself and had a brain fart and turned the key the wrong way when I shut it off, which leaves the tail light on, and it drained the battery. Why the hell did that do that in the first place???? :fubird:

However, I think this was a much needed thread anyhow, as I couldn't find anything about batteries when I searched.

Enforcer's tech know how was much needed.... Who knew 10 amps was too much to hit a motorcycle battery with? :OhNo; ;IDunno:

Plus everyone gave good suggestions for batteries.

I'm thinking this weekend I'll be mounting the tender leads to the battery to make it easier to connect and keep her trickle charged for the remaining part of the season. I have a big vacation coming up and don't really want to cough up the cash.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

98VS1400 wrote:Actually, I do keep it on a tender. Long ago, I started using it for a bow light on my Jon boat! [emoji2]
Funny!

PrinceMo
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1988 1400cc Intruder

Post by PrinceMo »

I HAVE NEVER HAD A BATTERY LIKE THE ONE GMAN SELLS.
It sat on my work bench for about a year before I installed it.
When I put it in the bike after a year with out ever charging it the bike fired right up.
No battery I ever had would do that.