Differences between models GLF/GLP etc

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1986 VS1400

Differences between models GLF/GLP etc

Post by Cerberus73 »

This may be a dumb question, but i have googled and no joy. I want to start drawing up full colour vector art versions of the Wiring Diagrams for the various 1400 Intruders (I'm a Graphic Designer by Profession) as the existing diagrams are black and white and the few coloured versions i have seen are low resolution. On other bikes I have owned, I did diagrams for them onto A3 paper (11.69 x 16.53 inches for the non metric folks) and laminated them for wipe clean ease.

First off i really want to understand the differences between the various models of the bike, I have a 86 Registration (probably 87.. its a grey import to UK from US I think, she got here to UK in 1992 according to paperwork) so it makes finding the correct diagram problematic.

What is the obvious identifiers between the GLP and GLF designations, and are there any instant "tells" between UK and Euro, US, Canadian spec bikes etc? I do know my headlight switch does not allow you to turn the headlight off, just main beam and dip, where all my other UK spec bikes (Suzuki GS500's, Honda C90, MZ ETZ 250) all let me turn the headlight off completely.. and since the Intruder is the only known import, I assume this was a market difference to spec.

If my bike is a US spec VS1400 for 86/87 what specific model would it be?

And if anyone would like to purchase a large format copy of the wiring diagrams, I would be willing to draw up versions for other Intruders if there was enough demand. doing these things is time consuming. last one I did for another model took best part of 3 days work to get it looking great.

Lechy
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Differences between models GLF/GLP etc

Post by Lechy »

This may help you find your model.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/Intruder/VS ... uder.shtml

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

F vs P is drag vs buckhorn handlebars.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

And we already have a high quality color wiring diagram for the VS1400.

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Cerberus73 »

is it any bigger than 1024x662 pixels? thats pretty low res, i was gonna do it as vector art.. could be resized to the size of a billboard without loss of quality. thats the problem with the bitmap ones, they do not scale well.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Cerberus73 wrote:is it any bigger than 1024x662 pixels? thats pretty low res, i was gonna do it as vector art.. could be resized to the size of a billboard without loss of quality. thats the problem with the bitmap ones, they do not scale well.
Actually that's a JPEG, not bit map. There's also a PDF on floating around the web. No need for any larger, unless you're blind as a bat. Opens just fine on my smartphone.

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Cerberus73 »

Hmmm you do know a JPEG is a bit mapped file format? As are most standard computer image files? (BMP, TIFF, GIF etc) And no 1024 pixels wide is not a large high res format, well maybe circà 1990 it was. In these days of 4k screens it's pretty lousy... Also I was meaning a file to print , pin sharp onto a largish laminated print out to stick on a workshop wall. You ever tried blowing up a 1024 wide, 72dpi JPEG onto a poster sized file? Good luck with that! But if you are happy trying to rewire a bike whilst squinting at a phone screen, knock yourself out.

Sometimes things are sent to test you :bang:

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Cerberus73 wrote:Hmmm you do know a JPEG is a bit mapped file format? As are most standard computer image files? (BMP, TIFF, GIF etc) And no 1024 pixels wide is not a large high res format, well maybe circà 1990 it was. In these days of 4k screens it's pretty lousy... Also I was meaning a file to print , pin sharp onto a largish laminated print out to stick on a workshop wall. You ever tried blowing up a 1024 wide, 72dpi JPEG onto a poster sized file? Good luck with that! But if you are happy trying to rewire a bike whilst squinting at a phone screen, knock yourself out.

Sometimes things are sent to test you :bang:
Everything is bitmapped on a PC. But a JPEG isn't a specific bit map format, like a BMP(much lower quality)And good luck finding anyone here that cares about rewiring a bike that hasn't been produced in the last 7 years, front to back, that requires a full color 70" diagram, since that's really the only time 4000+ interlaced lines even make a difference. If you can't see the one I posted, I feel sorry for you. I've used the same color diagrams floating around the internet for other bikes, with no issue.

Besides, the amount of safety switches you can remove from the wiring really streamlines the rat's nest under the tank and seat. And that's really the point in a rewire on this bike, streamline, or patch up.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

I be willing to give it a whirl if I had that 70" picture to work from! The I'd need a pinboard big enough to sketch out the bike in actual size so I could decide how to route, and thereby cut to length, and insert QD junctions here and there for ease of installation.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by JamesC »

While were at it, what is the difference between K1/K2/K3 and X/Y/T/V. I see these designations when ordering OEM parts. How do I know which one I have?

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

JamesC wrote:While were at it, what is the difference between K1/K2/K3 and X/Y/T/V. I see these designations when ordering OEM parts. How do I know which one I have?
I believe those are paint code and option designations. It really all depends on what you're ordering, but most everything is the same from bike to bike with a few model year changes.

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Cerberus73 »

I guess the K designator are just year identifiers with minimal changes, Like enforcer stated they are usually just colour scheme changes. I don't know about the intruders, but my GS500 Suzuki's are similarly designated, for every year they changed the end letter so it was a GS500E for model and the 1995 was a S so in Suzuki parlance a GS500ES, my 1998 was a W designator, so a GS500EW. they changed this to the K style designator from 2001 till end of run.. but they also changed the model From GS500E to GS500F for these years so F models were designated K1 to K9.. The differences between the E and F bikes were the F bikes had a different sump plate (oil pan cover) with oil cooler the E bikes had no oil cooler. And the F bikes came fitted with a factory fairing, the E models were sometimes sold with semi official aftermarket fairing fitted to special editions, or as options. the paint finish changed in 1997/98 from a black finish on motor to silvery. There was some small changes internally usually just updated parts, and when ordering from the likes of CMSNL they inform you of uprated parts and the new part number compared to the old.. they also do this with the Intruders,

The problem for me is my bike being a grey import, It makes it harder to identify region and model specific variations, as the bike is registered and states its a 1986.. the intruder didn't come out till 87 model year. i guess this discrepancy has came about because the DVLA (DMV equivalent here) went by the year the bike was made by Suzuki, not when it was sold. As i suppose Suzuki spent a few months making them before shipping to dealers.

If anyone can help break down the VIN code to identify the specific model, id be grateful. It would make ordering parts a lot easier.

Jonnycando, The great thing about a vector file is that it can be blown up to any size you can get printed. and it will stay clear, not end up all pixelated. I stick to A3 as i can print that at a friends, and laminate them. I also have a genuine Suzuki workshop manual, so i can draw out a vector version of the routing drawings for the loom, which you can print out at life-size if you can find a printer large enough. if this would be a help to you?

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

I work 270 hours a month....making wiring harnesses would have to be my paying work for a job that ambitious. Seeing as how wiring harnesses should be available from Suzuki yet, for some models at least, and you might be getting one of those, and make whatever adjustments were needed to fit your particular bike.

But yes, a life size image would have to be vector based to render well.