How To: Replace stock pegs with Kuryakyn pegs

Redwood
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: VS1400

How To: Replace stock pegs with Kuryakyn pegs

Post by Redwood »

This is much easier done on a bench, so while I was putting my stock foot control assembly back on the bike (after removing a set of forwards), I switched out the stock pegs for a set of Kuryakyn Swingwings (Part #4466). They came with a Harley mount on them. This write up does not include how to get the foot control assembly off the bike. (Please excuse the cluttered bench.....)
First things first, remove the stock pegs. Before removing the screw that goes through the peg, you must first remove the inner screw that locks it in place.
then

Take the new pegs, remove the adapter. To do this you need to swing the peg open and loosen the allen screw that's underneath. Installation and adjustment for angle involves this same screw. This is the ONLY way to get the mount off this peg without damaging something.

The hole in the center of the mount will need to be opened up to accomodate the size of the screw that goes through the Suzuki peg. Not much. I didn't write down the size of the drill bit. Just enough to get the bolt through with as little slack as possible, and keep the hole straight. I got one a little crooked. Became a pain in the arse...

Insert the mount in the foot control assembly. I used a nylon spacer to fill in the gap because the Kury mount isn't as wide as the Suzuki mount. The mount will fit in either way up, but only one way will let you get the bolt through it. Insert the peg screw and the binder screw and tighten it down.

Using the aforementioned peg screw under the swing out, install the peg. Don't tighten it all the way down because you're going to want to adjust the angle of the pegs while they're opened while the assembly is on the bike. Just snug enough to keep them from spinning until you make your final adjustments.

Now you've got a couple more options of where to put your feet and these are extremely comfortable pegs....
WCB
95 Suzuki Intruder VS800
07 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Re: How To: Replace stock pegs with Kuryakyn pegs

Post by Jolsen »

You are about to have even more choices lol. Nice write up.

Sent from my Motorola Turbo. Using Tapatalk.
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Redwood
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Redwood »

Jolsen wrote:You are about to have even more choices lol. Nice write up.

That's the idea. I like the Kury pegs. They give you something substantial to put your feet on and have more "grab". My ol' knees don't like being in one position for long periods of time, so I'm prone to scoot around a lot....
WCB
95 Suzuki Intruder VS800

dm1400
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 1995 VS1400

Post by dm1400 »

That's a nice write up, & some nice looking pegs too. :rock:

Thanks for sharing the info. :clap:

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Guess I should have shimmed the peg adapter. O well I will have forwards soon. Just have to figure out a cheap way to add pegs or floor boards to them.

Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Redwood
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Redwood »

Jardine makes a set of floorboards for the forwards, but they're about $300 give or take on their site. I'm sure you could locate them elsewhere cheaper. I've got a set of Kury Honda adapters you can have if you think they'll work on the Jardine pegs. You can see one on my table in one of these pics sitting next to the stock Zuki pegs.
WCB
95 Suzuki Intruder VS800

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

You won't get board kits much cheaper, unless they are used. 250 to 350 is about going rate for a kit that works on Intruder. I'd would say it's a supply and demand issue, but then I've seen board kits for other bikes hitting the same mark!

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

jonnycando wrote:You won't get board kits much cheaper, unless they are used. 250 to 350 is about going rate for a kit that works on Intruder. I'd would say it's a supply and demand issue, but then I've seen board kits for other bikes hitting the same mark!
Yeah I'm not sure if I'm going to install them or not. I am waiting for pictures from larry.

Swapiti
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 01 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by Swapiti »

Great write up! Have you had any problems with the spacers wearing down at all? I can't decide if I want to do metal spacers or not.

Swapiti
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 01 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by Swapiti »

No need to ask him. If he moved onto a Harley by now, I doubt you would be able to tell a difference.. Thanks for the offer though!

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

I don't think nylon spacers would be problematic...but if concerned you could position them on the non weight bearing side. But a small stack of washers will indeed do the trick. Did that on a previous bike.