Use of different year CDI units.

Blaine1283
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder VS1400GLP

Use of different year CDI units.

Post by Blaine1283 »

Can I use a CDI box from a 93' VS1400 on my 96' VS1400, if the plugins are the same??

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Re: Use of different year CDI units.

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Believe so. Don't think there were any changes from those yrs.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Of course, there is no explanation of differences, but PartsOutlaw shows three different part numbers for the '93 model, and one more for the '96. Also, the wiring diagrams in the service manual show more contacts in the connectors for the '92 thru '95 models than in the '96. So, good luck making one work.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

The point is, knowing what you have. What you have is what the wire harness says you have. Trying to change it to something else may work, but is probably not one of the best ideas. If there's no other choice but to go to something different, then be aware of what you are asking for. Check the wiring carefully and add additional wiring instead of trying to use existing too many of the original wire and don't cut off ones you may not plan to use, unless you're certain! :smile:

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

If they are all plug compatible but list different part numbers, then they will have at minimum, different timing curves. As the engines got progressively leaner the timing curve had to change as well, Some fancy ignition footwork has to take place to get rarefied mixtures to ignite!

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Welcome to the board

Throw your hat n the corner and stay a little longer [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

BABIS
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Post by BABIS »

the plugs will be different, they have the first style until 95 (infact there was 2 models of dyna 3000 CDI box, and the change was basically a plugs adapter)
We declare that the splendour of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing automobile with its bonnet adorned with great tubes like serpents with explosive breath ... a roaring motor car which seems to run on machine-gun fire is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.