New (to me) Start problem

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 1400

New (to me) Start problem

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

I got a start problem going on over here. The '00 Intruder 1400 has a hard (and I mean hard) time starting. When it does start, it only runs for a few seconds and when it is running it sounds like its not getting enough fuel to keep going. Here is what I did so far: Tried priming the carburetors. When I hit the start switch, the fuel pump clicks and clicks...and clicks. It does not stop clicking. I saw no fuel leaking from anywhere during or after this process. This lead me to believe my carb bowls where not filling up. I decided to try to test the fuel pump. To do this I pulled the line that goes from the pump to the rear carb from the carb. Turned on the key and hit the start switch. There was no discernible amount of fuel moving. It was more of a slight dribble. Does anyone know how much fuel that pump should push? Anyway, that is where I am at. Does any one have any other suggestions of things to check? I hope I gave enough information, but if not let me know what you might need. Thanks in advance.

-Bill

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: New (to me) Start problem

Post by WintrSol »

The pump should be able to output more than 40 ounces per minute (1.27qt). You should check that the fuel line from the petcock to the pump is not pinched or collapsed; if you have an in-line filter, that it is not plugged.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

WintrSol wrote:The pump should be able to output more than 40 ounces per minute (1.27qt). You should check that the fuel line from the petcock to the pump is not pinched or collapsed; if you have an in-line filter, that it is not plugged.
Pull the fuel line off of the bottom of the lower petcock and see if the fuel runs out when main or reserve is selected.

Have you had the tank off recently? It is easy to kink the lines when reinstalling the tank. Also a common problem is not having the main petcock turned on properly. The slot has to be straight up and down, if it is just a little bit to either side it will turn the fuel off.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

Fuel ran out of the petcock no problem. I took the fuel pump apart to check the membrane and it all looked good. (On a side note, There are little metal fingers that hold the bottom half of the pump to the top half. If you dont have a solid plan to crimp the fingers back down on the fuel pump, I do NOT suggest prying them apart. Go ahead and ask me how I figured that out). After I got the pump back together, I tested it on a spare battery. It ran its heart out. I filled a small container with fuel and use it to pump the fuel into another container. It was working. got everything back together and could hear the pump running like it was pumping fuel. The bike started and ran. After about a 10 minute ride, the carburetors ran out of gas again. After limping home. I tried to prime them again and the pump sounded like it was running with no fuel being pumped through it again. It is as if there is an intermittent issue with the fuel traveling from the tank to the pump. That will have to be for another day though, between the cold and the frustration I am done working for today.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Sounds like you have a crimped or partially plugged fuel line.

I once kinked the fuel lines, when I put the tank back on. The bike would run for about 2 miles and quit. Let it sit for 10 minutes and it would restart. Some fuel was getting through, but not enough to keep the bike running.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

It does sound that way. However, It was working great a few weeks ago, didn't ride for a little while due to weather, and then this started. I did pull off the seat and tank today to check the fuel lines. I rerouted any thing that looked sketchy. Still no joy when I put it back together. More trouble shooting to come.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

There should be a pressure operated switch in the pump, that shuts it off when both float valves close. If the contacts of that switch are dirty or burnt, it could make the motor in the pump run poorly. Some versions of the pump can be fixed, or so said some on the purple site. It could be when you took it apart, you disturbed it enough to work, at least for a while.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

Did some more testing today. I took the pump off again, put a hose on the inlet end and stuck that in a fuel container. When I hooked power up to the pump there was no fluid movement. The pump buzzes and buzzes, it just does not move fluid through it. While I had the pump off, I turned the fuel petcock to on and reserve to ensure that fuel supply from the tank to the pump was sufficient. It was. It looks like I needs to R/R the fuel pump with a new one. I read somewhere about using a vacuum operated pump. Has anyone had any success with this? Thanks for all of the input.
-Bill

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

GO ahead and use an electric pump, and that way you will preserve your priming feature.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I would also use an electric pump, vacuum pumps only work with the engine running.

Someone posted about using an electric pump off of a car that cost a whole lot less than the stock one and worked just as well.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9664449/00745

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

That looks like it could be a good option. I just don't know where it would get mounted. The intruder in stock configuration does not leave much room and that pump does not look like it will fit the OEM location.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

When my pump went intermittent I bought this one off amazon for 25 bucks it has been working fine for about a year now with no issues.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

Been looking at that one, cant beat the price point. I just dont get a warm fuzzy with the reviews that are on Amazon. For $25 bucks though it might just be worth a shot.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:Been looking at that one, cant beat the price point. I just dont get a warm fuzzy with the reviews that are on Amazon. For $25 bucks though it might just be worth a shot.
Look at it this way....when I needed a new mattress, I went to the store and told the man I wanted the softest innerspring mattress I could get. He said, "I got one in the back, it's 250 dollars but it's only guaranteed for a year" I said at that price, if it goes bad, you can just sell me another one! I've had it for 8 years. So that fuel pump has a good price, and a so so rating....order two and have a spare!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

jonnycando wrote:
00Vs1400GLP wrote:Been looking at that one, cant beat the price point. I just dont get a warm fuzzy with the reviews that are on Amazon. For $25 bucks though it might just be worth a shot.
Look at it this way....when I needed a new mattress, I went to the store and told the man I wanted the softest innerspring mattress I could get. He said, "I got one in the back, it's 250 dollars but it's only guaranteed for a year" I said at that price, if it goes bad, you can just sell me another one! I've had it for 8 years. So that fuel pump has a good price, and a so so rating....order two and have a spare!
Considering that the suzuki part is over $200, buy 3 or 4 and still be ahead of the game.

Wink1018
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1993 VS1400

Post by Wink1018 »

I am hesitant, only due to the fear of being in the middle of nowhere when the pump gives out.

However, the thrifty side of me says it's a no-brainer. If I get a year of use out of one, I'm still ahead of the 8 ball.
Boy, you could ruin an anvil with a rubber mallet!!
1993 Suzuki VS1400
1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
2001 Yamaha V-Star 650C
1979 Kawasaki Z1R

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

That same fuel pump is also available on eBay for half of that price. But my question is they all say requires modifications, what type of modification do you need to use the fuel pump?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Modification required for mounting bracket an/or electrical connectors. Suzuki requires a minimum of 36 lts per hour output from the pump .
This one gives 50-60.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-16-8mm-Fuel-P ... js&vxp=mtr

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

The only mod, if you call it a mod, is that you have to redirect the fuel lines a bit because the connections on the oem part are curved to fit and straight on this one. Other than that everything hooks right up to the vs1400. The hardest part part is pulling the seat to get the side cover off. I would suggest cutting a quarter inch or so off the fuel line to get a good seal.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

Well, I went with the $25 pump off of amazon. Got it installed today. It is slightly longer than the stock pump so installation kind of interfered with the boost sensor a little and I had to work around that. It does prime my carburetors and so far is working alright. It is slightly louder than the stock pump. Just info in case anyone else is weighing this option. 2 miles down...Let's see how long it lasts!