New (to me) Start problem

Swapiti
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 01 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Re: New (to me) Start problem

Post by Swapiti »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:Well, I went with the $25 pump off of amazon. Got it installed today. It is slightly longer than the stock pump so installation kind of interfered with the boost sensor a little and I had to work around that. It does prime my carburetors and so far is working alright. It is slightly louder than the stock pump. Just info in case anyone else is weighing this option. 2 miles down...Let's see how long it lasts!
So...... what do you think of your purchase? I need a new one and would like to know

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

Based on the four Amazon reviews, it doesn't sound good.

$167 here: http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts ... -fuel-pump

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Mine has been on for a year and still works fine.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 1400

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

Swapiti wrote:
00Vs1400GLP wrote:Well, I went with the $25 pump off of amazon. Got it installed today. It is slightly longer than the stock pump so installation kind of interfered with the boost sensor a little and I had to work around that. It does prime my carburetors and so far is working alright. It is slightly louder than the stock pump. Just info in case anyone else is weighing this option. 2 miles down...Let's see how long it lasts!
So...... what do you think of your purchase? I need a new one and would like to know
So Far so good. I only have a couple hundred miles on it though. I started having some carburetor trouble, so I am not riding much.

Swapiti
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Swapiti »

00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Swapiti wrote:
So Far so good. I only have a couple hundred miles on it though. I started having some carburetor trouble, so I am not riding much.
I love these bikes but these are the worst setup for carbs, something is always wrong with them! :bang:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Swapiti wrote:
00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Swapiti wrote:
I love these bikes but these are the worst setup for carbs, something is always wrong with them! :bang:
I have had very little problems with the carbs on both of my 1400's. Run them often so the fuel is always fresh, use a couple of ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil every couple of tanks of gas, check the balance every couple of years, and ride it every chance you get.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Swapiti
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Swapiti »

Herb wrote:
Swapiti wrote:
00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Swapiti wrote:
I have had very little problems with the carbs on both of my 1400's. Run them often so the fuel is always fresh, use a couple of ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil every couple of tanks of gas, check the balance every couple of years, and ride it every chance you get.
Sorry, I guess I meant the fuel system in general. I feel like there could have been a more simple and streamlined way to set it all up.. :soapbox:
But that is just a matter of opinion!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Swapiti wrote:
Herb wrote:
Swapiti wrote:
00Vs1400GLP wrote:
Swapiti wrote:
Sorry, I guess I meant the fuel system in general. I feel like there could have been a more simple and streamlined way to set it all up.. :soapbox:
But that is just a matter of opinion!
I agree that the system could have been much simpler, having the 2 petcocks is way over complicated, and a pita. On my old tank I had installed a regular petcock. It was mounted on the left rear, of the tank. Had one hose that went to the pump. Much simpler and easier to use. Only problem was the reserve was cut to about 4 miles...

When my wife ran the bike over with the trailer, she smashed the tank and poked a big hole in it. When I got another tank I needed the bike right away so I used the stock setup. When I get a round tuit, I will fix a couple of dents in the replacement tank, put the petcock on it and paint the tank.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.