1400 single carb

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Re: 1400 single carb

Post by Fred »

No --I really dont want to,-- thats a quick way that every one tries --long runner outside of the tank People do not know that the runners are too long and the fuel falls from suspension. You need heated manifold to get the fuel to evaporate into a combustable mixture in time for combustion ,,--- or fit smaller runners, or fit the carb on the head like most motorcycles do.

The Weber DCOE and its Dellorto copy was a crap carb over 50 years ago.

I have a plenum,-- as per manifolds of the last decade. This is my best shot.

I gotta go I have to crack on with it.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

About an hours work left on this before I hit the button. Looking forward to another hot day in my new workshop tinkering. Photos coming . This is nothing like you have seen before, looks like its a part off a time machine.

Wink1018
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1993 VS1400

Post by Wink1018 »

What about wrapping the runners with a coiled line from the engine oil system? Or even an oil shrouded intake runner? You could tap it near the oil filter location or tee it off from the oil cooler, and place a residual pressure valve at the crankcase prior to dumping it back into the engine. All that's needed is a way to restrict flow so it doesn't use up the needed flow to critical engine parts.

Better yet, run the oil through the above setup before going to the oil cooler...
Boy, you could ruin an anvil with a rubber mallet!!
1993 Suzuki VS1400
1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
2001 Yamaha V-Star 650C
1979 Kawasaki Z1R

Wink1018
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1993 VS1400

Post by Wink1018 »

Or install a "tornado" in each runner close to the carb. They are supposed to create a vortex flow pattern that could aid in keeping the fuel suspended in the airflow better.
Boy, you could ruin an anvil with a rubber mallet!!
1993 Suzuki VS1400
1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
2001 Yamaha V-Star 650C
1979 Kawasaki Z1R

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Good point --it would make a bloody good oil cooler. Im kicking myself for being too anxious to remove and cut up. I was thinking warming the manifold with a blow lamp while idling would be interesting. However I had made a silly mistake by having a wide opening just after the carb intake meaning air would just stop almost giving fuel the opportunity to just fall out of suspension.

Im hoping that this plenum will be heated by the engine as it is close to the heads and close to the tank so poor ventilation.

The purpose of the plenum is for equal supply of air mix for each cylinder regardless of multiple cylinders or cam timings. This could not have been the case if the rear was hesitant and the front firing well. If both run the same I would call it a success.

A vortex in the intake runner? food for thought.

David-c
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder 800 and many more

Post by David-c »

I would be willing to buy one of those manifolds if you're still around.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

David-c wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:27 am
I would be willing to buy one of those manifolds if you're still around.
When I got my first 1400 one of the first things I tried to find is one of these intakes. I fond that not only unavailable but pricey as well.
The intake really isnt all that complected to produce and only serves a couple of purposes one is for mounting a carburetor or air flow meter and butter fly valve. And on carbureted engines an area to mix the air and fuel. Im sure you noticed that on the Intruders there isnt much of an intake its basically just a tube for mounting purposes with a slight bend.
There has been long discussions about the location of the carbs the sync cable problems and the tuning of this set up and its inherent problems.
In one thread it was suggested to create a single carb manifold out of PCV pipe as it is easy to work with. I would suggest this would work to create a proto type. The main draw bake with lengthening the intake would create lower end off throttle torque problems as the runners would be to long. The one benefit would be great top end though so finding a Streetable happy medium would be the hurdle.

As this discussion went on some one posted a picture of a 1400 intruder with a center mounted carb. It was claimed that a Suzuki 1500cc head was used on the rear to accomplish this.
I picked up a 1400cc head because I didnt want to disassemble a running engine and a 1500cc head and found that the only deference in the heads is a weep hole for the coolant as the 1500cc is water cooled.
Unfortunately I had to move into an Apt and I lost my work space before I could start on the project. 3 of my bikes 1 being the donor bike went into storage with a large tool cabinet along with the Intruder parts.
As the riding season is coming to an end I hope to clear enough room in the storage unit to tear down the donor bike and bring the engine and parts here to hopefully complete the head swap this winter. This probably wont surprise my land lord as I have my 99 FXST in the living room along with 2 large tool cabinets. LOL

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

FallenAngel wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:24 am

I picked up a 1400cc head because I didnt want to disassemble a running engine and a 1500cc head and found that the only deference in the heads is a weep hole for the coolant as the 1500cc is water cooled.
The 1500's were air cooled up until around 2013.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

hillsy wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:49 pm
FallenAngel wrote:

Then I must have a 2013 or newer head then

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

FallenAngel wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:42 pm
hillsy wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:49 pm
FallenAngel wrote:

Then I must have a 2013 or newer head then
Not to labour the point but I'm wondering if what you thought was a coolant weep hole was just a drain for the spark plug well?

Reason I'm curious is that a water-cooled head is quite different from an air-cooled one - the head gasket alone would incorporate coolant ports and would not be interchangeable with an air-cooled one.

Also they do not usually have weep holes for coolant at the heads - it's usually at the water pump so if the seal fails the coolant doesn't leak into the engine.

Just musing....

Daveguy
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS1400

Post by Daveguy »

A few clickable links to a sidedraft carb set up I made. Works for Mikuni PHH or Dellorto DHLA. 12 volt heaters took care of carb icing. Sold bike and have several extra PHH and DHLA carbs NOS tanks and hoses to sell. Also lots of stock parts to sell.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/Kl ... 5U5aArBvlg
https://thumbnails-photos.amazon.com/v1 ... WVV_9Q0B7B