What is your battery voltage?

DMIntruder
Riding on Learners Permit

What is your battery voltage?

Post by DMIntruder »

Just curious. What is your battery voltage, Bike cold, not running. Say when you get up in the morning and check it, or after it has been sitting for awhile and the bike is completely cold.

I measure my voltage by putting my red lead on the positive terminal and the black lead on the top screw on the rear master cylinder cover.

I am trying to gather data from several folks VS1400 as a comparison.

My 97 read 12.67 VDC Has been sitting not run for 2 days,
My 88 read 12.65 VDC Checked before leaving for work this morning. (After I replaced the ground cable and replaced lug on positive cable, see post (http://intruders-alert.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30)

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: What is your battery voltage?

Post by YoDude »

That's right in the sweet spot for a fully charged battery.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

YoDude9999 wrote:That's right in the sweet spot for a fully charged battery.

Yo-
That is what I am hoping. When I was working on the 97 I thought I was having charging system issues and then when I compared some values to the 88 I got some readings from it that, according to the service manual, indicated an issue(s). But I had never had a dead battery or got stranded on the 88 before so I kind of chocked it up to just being on the low end of the tolerance range for certain readings.

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

So it was raining today and I did not ride either bike. I thought, I'll check these voltages again.

97 - 12.65 VDC
88 - 12.55 VDC hmmmmm. It just started right up.

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

12.72V Haven't ridden since Saturday.

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

Currently, I'm an embarrassed and ashamed Nole fan (since late 80's). Jameis makes headlines again. This could start yet another topic.

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

I was reading 12.2 when I discovered I had a bad stator. A load test on the battery showed it was OK. Average voltage on several working systems should come in handy.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

12.97 ain't been touched in 3 weeks.
Roll Tide Roll
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

98VS1400 wrote:
Jolsen wrote:12.97 ain't been touched in 3 weeks.
Roll Tide Roll
Well, we should have some good discussions come Saturday evening... Just stay away from sharp knives right after the game!
We gonna need our own thread for that game. Hope you got those shop rags cause you are going to be doing your Tim tea oner impression at the end of the gamegame

We going to hit you so hard time
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

I was posting in gay-tar-nomics

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

Why are technical threads getting overrun with non subject, non techincal banter? It really makes it hard to find the information you are really looking for. Getting ridiculous. Can't even have a tech section that stays technical. :bang:

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

Catastrophic battery failure on the 88. I went to start it this morning and when I hit the start button the starter engaged for 1 second then all lights went out. I thought a fuse blew, but they all checked out. Battery voltage at fuse box terminals read around 12 but when the key was turned on 0 VDC. Since I lost my maintenance records for the bike when my laptop HDD crashed I don't know for sure how old the battery was. It might have been the one I put in when I got it 4 years ago but I am unsure.

I can't remember if it was Yo or DDog that always uses a wet cell cell battery because the AGM ones just freakin die when they die. Well this one just freakin died!!! A wet cell gives a bit more warning according to them. I am not sure which type I will go with right now. I m glad I was just leaving the house and not out someplace. Good thing I had another bike to ride for my errand. :thumbup:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

DMIntruder wrote:Catastrophic battery failure on the 88. I went to start it this morning and when I hit the start button the starter engaged for 1 second then all lights went out. I thought a fuse blew, but they all checked out. Battery voltage at fuse box terminals read around 12 but when the key was turned on 0 VDC. Since I lost my maintenance records for the bike when my laptop HDD crashed I don't know for sure how old the battery was. It might have been the one I put in when I got it 4 years ago but I am unsure.

I can't remember if it was Yo or DDog that always uses a wet cell cell battery because the AGM ones just freakin die when they die. Well this one just freakin died!!! A wet cell gives a bit more warning according to them. I am not sure which type I will go with right now. I m glad I was just leaving the house and not out someplace. Good thing I had another bike to ride for my errand. :thumbup:
I keep telling you guys about those AGM batteries. And you indeed got lucky you weren't out on the road some place. Turn the bike off to go take a pee in the bushes, come back and....oh crap! Your battery is your choice however and the AGMs do have a better track record for longevity, but that all I give them credit for.

Yo-

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

What battery do you use? Where do you get it? How much is it? How often do you check the fluid level in the cells? That is the primary reason I don't do wet cells anymore, I forget to check the electrolyte levels.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Oh crap! I got if off ebay. It comes in a box with the electrolyte in a separate container. Once you put it in the battery, there's a cap that goes on top and once installed, the battery becomes a, 'sealed' battery. No messing or fussing with it.

Here's the description of it, "UTX16-BS-1 YTX16-BS-1 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder Battery" I don't have the link any more.

Yo-

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

Well I have been getting my batteries from BatteriesPlus for years. I looked for a wet cell but they did not have one that would fit or had enough juice. I went with the same battery I had before. I also found out that I have been running that battery for nearly 4 years. My wife's truck goes through batteries every 3 years, which is pretty typical for longevity here in FL.

I'm ok paying $80 every 4 years for a battery for the bike. I found a $10 off coupon online before I bought it today too. Now to go install it.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Ok. :thumbup:

Yo-

Swapiti
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 01 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by Swapiti »

DMIntruder wrote:Catastrophic battery failure on the 88. I went to start it this morning and when I hit the start button the starter engaged for 1 second then all lights went out. I thought a fuse blew, but they all checked out. Battery voltage at fuse box terminals read around 12 but when the key was turned on 0 VDC. Since I lost my maintenance records for the bike when my laptop HDD crashed I don't know for sure how old the battery was. It might have been the one I put in when I got it 4 years ago but I am unsure.

My battery reads 13.26 VDC just sitting there, but just like you when I turn the key it drops to less than 1 VDC. My battery is only about a month old, do you think it went bad already?

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Check the connections at the battery and at the frame (ground) and at the solenoid (positive) to be sure they are clean and tight. I have seen several instances where connection problems at these locations can cause this symptom. It'll happen on your car too. Battery connection at the battery is quite often the cause of, "I turned the key and heard a click, then nothing". If it's been a while since you've had a look at these placed, well now's a good time to check them out.

Yo-

Swapiti
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 01 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by Swapiti »

I had the battery load tested and 98VS1400 hit the nail on the head. My new battery showed a great surface charge but I tried to get it load tested and they couldn't even run the test because it was so bad.. :bonk:
YoDude- as for checking my connections, that was the first thing I did after checking the battery volts.