VS1400 Prospect

RapidRoy
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Re: VS1400 Prospect

Post by RapidRoy »

Changed the oil/filter today (Just used regular Castrol 10w-40 with fram filter) Also changed the final drive oil, with 75w-90 gear oil. The old stuff was pretty black in both. I'm gonna call around for some tires here soon. Spacecoast mentioned a Shinko 777 up front. What else is out there for cheaper but decent quality tires?

Here's a video of a cold start/no choke from earlier today before I changed the oils

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Dunlop 404 are cheap and decent.
Pirelli MT66 will last a bit longer.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Actually I have pretty good performance with the Shinko tourmaster. I have ran it on the 1400, and I am running it on the GS100. On the 1400 I got 8-10,000, depending on how loaded the bike was. I switched to a darkside tire on the back of the 1400, get over 25,000 miles, for a lower price.
On the GS1100GK, around 800lbs when I am on it, the tires handle well, even at very high speeds (not sure how fast, the speedo pegs at 85), I got over 9000 miles on the last one. I am running the same on the front of both my bikes, inexpensive but perform well and last pretty good, for a MC tire.

http://www.compacc.com/p/shinko-230-tou ... AuNB8P8HAQ
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

RapidRoy
Practicing Bicycling

Post by RapidRoy »

Hey guys

So I ended up taking the 1400 to the shop to get safety inspected. All it needed to pass was rear brake pads. As mentioned earlier the tires were pretty old and had cracks in the sidewall so I ended up getting pirelli mt 66. They told me the front and rear air filters were pretty well gone so I had them replace those too.

Bike feels pretty good now, but I found it idled a bit weird. After you accelerate and then come to a stop it seems like it take the idle a few seconds to mellow out and a bit of popping on the left side pipe when idling as well.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Time for a carb synch and AF adjustment.
Videos here: http://intruders-alert.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4139

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Dak S83
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2006 S83

Post by Dak S83 »

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, I've also just bought a very mint 06 S83, regarding the front air filter, do you HAVE to remove the frame head covers?? Reason I ask is as far as I can see the right hand one is impossible to remove as the lower mounting screw is dead in-line behind the header pipe and flange.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Dak S83 wrote:Sorry to hi-jack this thread, I've also just bought a very mint 06 S83, regarding the front air filter, do you HAVE to remove the frame head covers?? Reason I ask is as far as I can see the right hand one is impossible to remove as the lower mounting screw is dead in-line behind the header pipe and flange.
Pull the 4 screws that hold the tank mount in place and you can pry the covers enough to get the lid off and on the air filter. If you are really having problems taking the 2 screws out from behind the headlight will make it even easier.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

Dak S83 wrote:Sorry to hi-jack this thread, I've also just bought a very mint 06 S83, regarding the front air filter, do you HAVE to remove the frame head covers?? Reason I ask is as far as I can see the right hand one is impossible to remove as the lower mounting screw is dead in-line behind the header pipe and flange.
I had the same issue too....and used some needle-nose plyers to turn the screw. Once removed, I snapped off that lower bracket and installed a screw for future use. And yes, I found that those covers needed to come off. Remove the large head screws, then slightly twist the cover to gain better access to the lower bracket screw.

Here is the thread for the mod I did, but Photobucket removed my photo's. I taped in a nice screw on both sides, and since my bike is black no issue with matching paint.
http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopi ... =10&t=6408

RapidRoy
Practicing Bicycling

Post by RapidRoy »

Anyone experience slippage when coming onto the throttle? I've been noticing it slipping when I really turn it back... I watched a youtube video on the vs1400 before I bought mine and the guy commented on it slipping a fair bit.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

RapidRoy wrote:Anyone experience slippage when coming onto the throttle? I've been noticing it slipping when I really turn it back... I watched a youtube video on the vs1400 before I bought mine and the guy commented on it slipping a fair bit.
Lots of them slip, the stock springs are Junk.
Buy some Designer springs from Designer...a member here.
Lots of testimonials on this site.
http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopi ... =10&t=3600

RapidRoy
Practicing Bicycling

Post by RapidRoy »

navigator wrote:
RapidRoy wrote:Anyone experience slippage when coming onto the throttle? I've been noticing it slipping when I really turn it back... I watched a youtube video on the vs1400 before I bought mine and the guy commented on it slipping a fair bit.
Lots of them slip, the stock springs are Junk.
Buy some Designer springs from Designer...a member here.
Lots of testimonials on this site.
http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopi ... =10&t=3600
Thanks I gave him a message and he sent me a price, I don't know it its USD or CAD? Our exchange rate is terrible right now so if it's american dollars I may have to wait. Near $100 for springs and bolts is far too expensive.