Needle valve?

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

Needle valve?

Post by pmhearns12 »

So get new bars and grips installed and took it for a ride, smelled a little too rich, took it home, parked and while let cool, took the wife to a local bar for some live music and a good craft beer. Get home and i smell gas.

Into the garage, gas on the floor, and look underneath and saw the drain from the rear intake box was dripping gas and gas was all around the outlet where the hose meets the box.

Is this from a stuck open needle valve allowing fuel to flow freely from the tank through and backflow into the intake box?

I have yet to experience this, could i get hydrolock if the fuel gets into cylender? Could gas flow and permiate down the piston into the oil?? I will try and pull the carb tomorrow but yet again, the bike is down... :bang:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Needle valve?

Post by hillsy »

Yes it is possible to get hydrolock if the gas gets into the cylinder and yes it may seep past the rings and into the sump. Take your oil fill cap off and smell the oil - if it smells like gas, then it's got gas in it. Change the oil is that is the case.

You may find there is just some junk under the float valve seat keeping it open - always a good idea on these bikes to run a good paper element filter and change it regularly.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Also, turn the fuel valve to OFF when you park it, especially in a garage or other enclosed space.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

WintrSol wrote:Also, turn the fuel valve to OFF when you park it, especially in a garage or other enclosed space.
Was your main fuel valve off....or on? Please tell us. I always turn my fuel valve off, but I too get a gas smell if the engine is hot and cooking the tank. But an actual gas puddle is a different situation.

I think there is a slight downward slope from rear carb to cylinder, so I doubt if you would any gas into the engine.

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

Post by pmhearns12 »

Selector switch was in on position. Sometimes i turn it off, sometimes i dont... this time, one of the times i forgot ... dangit.. wont happen again.

Again, hopefully tomororw ill have time to open it up and chexk the insides

Pegdragger
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 S83 Boulevard

Post by Pegdragger »

most likely a stick float valve..??.. If you haven't road her in awhile the dang ethanol builds up. Put some sea foam in the fuel tank. Than ride the piss outta her.
:putput: Instagram - pegdragger . Uncorked vs1400 stage 3. Progressive fork springs. 12" rear shocks. Custom made handle bars, blinker housings, seat, drag pipes. Designer springs. Ride 1k in a day . blue ridge, tail of the dragon from Vermont 2x. Yellow stone, estes park, million dollar hwy, moab, window rock, grand canyon, death valley, serria Nevada's, US rt66, US rt 50 rider.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

There have been some people on this board that had an issue with the o-ring that seals the seat on the needle valve. They deteriorate over the years and will let gas past the side of the seat.

I very seldom turn off the gas. if there is going to be a leak I want to know about it BEFORE I ride, not while I am riding.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Herb wrote:There have been some people on this board that had an issue with the o-ring that seals the seat on the needle valve. They deteriorate over the years and will let gas past the side of the seat.

I very seldom turn off the gas. if there is going to be a leak I want to know about it BEFORE I ride, not while I am riding.
I have had that on numerous occasions and with pipes cracking undertank and dumping fuel all over the garage floor. I now have a Triumph type petcock at the back of the tank on the left. When it is off it is off off.

No stupid secondary pet cocks with a screwdriver slot. The o rings in that can leak too.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:
Herb wrote:There have been some people on this board that had an issue with the o-ring that seals the seat on the needle valve. They deteriorate over the years and will let gas past the side of the seat.

I have had that on numerous occasions and with pipes cracking undertank and dumping fuel all over the garage floor. I now have a Triumph type petcock at the back of the tank on the left. When it is off it is off off.

No stupid secondary pet cocks with a screwdriver slot. The o rings in that can leak too.
On the original tank, that my wife destroyed when she ran over the bike, I had installed a petcock off of an '82 GS550, on the lower left side. Worked good for over a year. Since I replaced the tank I haven't bothered to install the petcock on it.

Still only turned the fuel off for maintenance. Like I said, if there is an issue, I want to know about it before it sets the bike on fire.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.