ok i have searched and can't find

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Vs1400

ok i have searched and can't find

Post by Bobbersrule »

Ok so I have a question, I mean I have tried searching & found nothing on this.... sooooo

why does my freaking speedo needle start bouncing back and forth once i get to 50 or more mph?

below 50 no bounce, shoot i run 70 to 75 on highway & even tho i am holding throttle steady, my speedo needle is bouncing between 68 & 72, not that bad sometimes, but it seems that way...whats the dealio, anyone else experience this?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: ok i have searched and can't find

Post by Lechy »

Disconnect the cable from the drive on the wheel hub, remove the inner by simply pulling it out. Check for rust and/or broken strands, if OK smear with grease and replace it..
Check the cable run for any sharp bends.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: ok i have searched and can't find

Post by WintrSol »

And, if it persists after lubricating the cable, and making the bends as wide and smooth as possible (the connection at the wheel should point towards the exhaust port of the head), you may need to lube the speedo input. Take the speedo off and turn it so the cable connection is up, and apply a few drops of light oil or quality chain lube (not WD40); the drops go around the outside of the rotating part with the square hole, not in the hole..
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie