Are newer Intruders slower?

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Are newer Intruders slower?

Post by JamesC »

I have had 2 Intruder 1400s. My first was a 97, and now I have an 03. The 03 has K&N Air Filters and Designer Clutch Springs (Thanks Bronx Intruder), but she just doesn't seem as fast as the 97 was. The new springs have made a difference, but I swear they must have a governor or some thing on the newer models. Or I may just be getting old and not grabbing the throttle with as much gusto. Whatever, I miss my 97.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Are newer Intruders slower?

Post by Herb »

During the years you are talking about there was no difference in stock HP.

What I have been able to find out was that between 95 and 99 (I have a 99 after the 87) Suzuki dropped the hp from 64 to 61 and the torque from 83 to 77ft-lbs.

My 87 had 71 hp and 82 ft-lbs, my 87, with 154,000 miles on it, was still faster and pulled harder than the 99 with 8600 miles on it. I am really sorry that I got rid of the 87.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/Intruder/VS ... uder.shtml
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

This thread is making me feel all like nostalgic. Its kinda been thrashed to death but its a good one.

Yes it is well known the 87 (like I got) is a brute but it has not been established why. Some have sat tirelessly sorting through parts books only to find cams to carbs all identical. As far as I know there is yet no answer to it.

Maybe old farts with 87's have stronger wrists and less reasons to live ---who knows..............

But its not just power --it seems to be vicious in its delivery snarling and growling at anything unleashing torque like a switch and a bastard round town. A Gentlemans bike it is not.

I dont give a shit about drinking and driving --done it all my life but not with this girl, if she should see me she will raise her head slightly from the pillow and through one eye she will see her chances and do her best to kill me.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Hahaha.. Nicely put Fred.

James; you're welcome brother. Wana trade bikes? Lol.