Died while riding

Vs1400
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2004 Suzuki 1400 intruder

Died while riding

Post by Vs1400 »

I'm sure there is a post on here already about this that I am overlooking. I was out for a ride today when it started to stall out and died. Let it sit for a couple of minutes while I looked things over. No power when I turned on the key. Giggled the wires on the battery and everything came on and fired up. On the way home I had to wait on a train to go by so I shut it off. Turned the key on and nothing. Again giggled the wires and fired up. Am I just having a bad connection or is my stator going out. I wouldn't think it would stall out and die because of a bad connection.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Died while riding

Post by Herb »

These bikes won't run without a good battery and connections. Even at higher rpms a bad connection can cause it to stall.

I was on my 87, headed south on I-5, just north of Bakersfield, at 70 + and the positive cable broke off of the terminal, The bike just quit.

Pull the battery cables, clean them up good and put them back with tight connections.

Keep in mind is that some of the battery bolts are slightly long and bottom out before getting tight. If this is happening, go to the hardware store and buy some star washers, that will prevent the issue.

Also, when tightening the bolts, if the cable twists with the bolt it will have a tendency to loosen the bolt.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.