Stalling When Coming to a Stop

Jvogt89
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 01 suzuki intruder vs1400

Re: Stalling When Coming to a Stop

Post by Jvogt89 »

RollingBlunder wrote:
Any way you could do a small write up for me? I am experienced enough to access the plungers, honestly if you could explain to me more about the washers and springs and such e.g. diameter of washers you used, did you Bond them to the spring or leave them free, and how exactly does the heavier resistance help? JW as a learning experience.
Adding a washer to increase spring tension was suggested years ago on the old Intruder Alert forum. I did it as a preventive measure. I guess it helps prevent binding due to gunk buildup.

I’m doing this from memory; it’s been a few years since I was in there.

To clean the coast valve plungers, shut off the fuel and remove the seat & fuel tank. Next you need to locate and remove the coast valve cover plate on each carb. It’s a round plate with tabs for 3 screws. The screws may be very tight. Use a good screwdriver tip, you don’t want to bugger them up! You may have to alternate CCW, CW,CCW, CW torque to break them loose.
Once the plate is off remove the spring and diaphragm/plunger. Gas probably comes out till the bowls empty, I don’t recall. Clean the plunger & the tunnel it is supposed to slide in with carb cleaner. It should slide in and out freely. It will be obvious where to add the washers if you choose to do that. The thickness isn’t that critical. No need to use cement or anything exotic like that. Then reassemble. It’s really simple. Getting those screws out may be the toughest part.

Thank you. I'm going to give this a shot as well for preventative purposes.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:Strange how these exploded views don't show air jets.
Define "air jet"
A jet that meters air -there are 2 in the throat one is idle air jet and the other is the main emulsion air jet.

There is another that works along with the idle jet. The position of this jet differs trom the front BDS 36 and the rear BS36..

This 2nd air jet is the one that is blocked off when the coast valve( the bit you are trying to remove) operates when coasting, cutting of the air making a richer mixture.

The coasting valve will be operational at idle ( max vacuum) meaning one air jet is not used and it will be rich. It is probably a rich mix that is making you stall.

Before you do all these unnecessary modifications of adding washers why don't you adjust the idle mixture.

PS I dont use them --I have removed the valve so I am using both air jets and make adjustment with idle mixture screw.

Yes it backfires a little bit on coasting which I like.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Fred isn't quite correct, the coasting valve is NOT in use at idle. Adjusting the idle air screw will not solve the issue and could cause even more problems. The coasting valve only adds extra air into the pilot circuit, to increase the amount of air/fuel entering the cylinder during deceleration from high speed.

If you want a really good explanation of the carb operation in all 4 modes, the manual that is pinned at the top of the 1400 forum has really good explanations, with diagrams, in chapter 5.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

vowtoo
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1998 intruder 1400

Post by vowtoo »

i was having the same problem last month. turned out i had a bunch of trash on the float valve assmbly screen. number 38 on the suzuki parts diagram. since i got that trash out of there it has been running great

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

try item 35

35-1.JET, PILOT AIR (40) MODEL T/V
09492-40019 09492-40018
$9.33
Add
35-2.JET, PILOT AIR (40) MODEL W/X/Y/K1/K2/K3
09492-40018
$9.33
Add
35-3.JET, PILOT AIR (60) MODEL T E28
09492-60010 09492-60012
$6.76

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oempart ... retor-rear
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

AF adjust screws.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Kjell71
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Post by Kjell71 »

If it stalls when you break or use the turn signals it could be due to the ignition unit. I replaced mine with a Dyna 3000 and my bike has never stalled since that. Before that my 1400 also used to stall now and then at idle.