Vance & Hines Install

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Vance & Hines Install

Post by Forge »

Has anyone else who has installed the Vance & Hines Classic II slip ons had trouble sliding the mid pipe piece all the way onto the factory headers? I got the left side slid on about 3/4 of the way and the right only about halfway. It's enough to clamp and seal the pipes, but I would like them slid on more. I even tried putting a 2x4 block on the back and whacking it with a good size hammer, but I don't want to risk bending the pipe or my header. The muffler will allow the midpipe to insert far enough to work, but I would like the midpipe seated farther on the header
Arthritis sucks!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Vance & Hines Install

Post by Herb »

I have a set of them and have to use PB Blaster and twist it back and forth while pushing it on. Kinda tough, but it works.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Re: Vance & Hines Install

Post by Forge »

Herb wrote:I have a set of them and have to use PB Blaster and twist it back and forth while pushing it on. Kinda tough, but it works.
Thanks. The PB Blaster did help a little to get the midpipes a little farther on, but not by much. The big help was it allowing me to remove the mufflers easier so that I could twist the midpipes to trial and error align the system. What a pain in the ass install for slip ons, but I do love the sound.

I did away with my Cobra Drags w/ QQ Baffles because they had such a damn painful pulse around the neighborhood and at low speed/rpm. The Vance & Hines still have the pulse, but it is dulled instead of the sharp piercing pain of the drags. They also really have a nice growl when you want them too including when you let off the throttle, which I like. This old man needs to take care of what's left of his hearing!
Arthritis sucks!