Bill idle for about 5 seconds then wants to die

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Bill idle for about 5 seconds then wants to die

Post by navigator »

The line actually feeds the rear carb (there is a small screen in the inlet, check for blockage.) then continues thru the rear carb to the front carb.
There is no actual "T" or split in the fuel line.
If you remove the line from the front carb, put it in a jar, and run the fuel pump, you should get good flow.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Sundevil36 wrote:I feel so embarrassed to admit this lol. When I put the carb back on after the most recent removal for an adjustment...I forgot to reconnect the throttle cables to the front carb. throttle was never open during the test. seriously can't believe myself on that one, such a bonehead move :bang: I'll test it again in the morning for compression, but I'm pretty sure that would be the culprit there.

so, if its still being starved and the front carb is clean, next step is following the fuel back to the tank yeah? the manual has a diagram for fuel flow showing fuel passing through the main input coming from the fuel pump, leading to a split. one channel from the split goes to the lower carb bowl, and the other channel goes up to the front carb. assuming the fuel pump works as it should, if the lower carb float valve is not closing for whatever reason, might that cause more than the normal volume of fuel to be dumped into the carb and cylinder maybe? I've eliminated both petcocks a couple of times and just run a line into a gas can, so really I'm following the fuel back to the pump lol.
Everyone makes mistakes, the key is to try not to make the same mistake twice.

Have you done a fuel pump test yet? The pump may be working but not providing the flow that is required.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Post by Sundevil36 »

navigator wrote:The line actually feeds the rear carb (there is a small screen in the inlet, check for blockage.) then continues thru the rear carb to the front carb.
There is no actual "T" or split in the fuel line.
If you remove the line from the front carb, put it in a jar, and run the fuel pump, you should get good flow.

yeah, thats what I meant. page 5-11 of the manual has the diagram. I'll do a flow test now.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Im sure that if you get fuel to the carbs and attach the throttle cables ---all in the right place it will probably run.

At least better than without fuel and attached throttle cables.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Sundevil36, where are you located? There's a good bunch of guys here on this site. Many of us would be more than happy to drop by and take a look at it for you if you're local to them. If you're anywhere around the Alamo city area (San Antonio, TX) I'd be happy to be a second set of eyes for you. I won't even charge you a beer unless we get her fired up. :cheers:
Arthritis sucks!

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

I'm about 20 mins south of Sacramento CA. If anyone helped me get it running it'd be a sight more than a beer!

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Sundevil36 wrote:I'm about 20 mins south of Sacramento CA. If anyone helped me get it running it'd be a sight more than a beer!

Im booking a flight,-- The lady wants to know,----- Sacramento CA is that in America? Left or right bit.

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

Haha California man, left coast best coast!

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

IT LIVES. I did a flow test, the "new" fuel pump was not quite cutting it I don't think, at least compared to the oem. So I put the oem pump back on, cut the fuel lines a bit shorter to try and eliminate kinks, drained and flushed both carbs several more times with clean fuel and a cap full of sea foam, and made sure the throttle cables were connected. Voila!

Here is the link:

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. Next step is minor maintenance like fluid changes, a new headlight, and putting it all back together.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Ive always found that getting fuel to the carburetors helps a great deal.

Never mind --you got there in the end.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Great deal!

Thanks for keeping us informed of what happened.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.