Clutch plates

ecbaatz
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Re: Clutch plates

Post by ecbaatz »

Thank you all for the information. It is very helpful, even the lively discussions.

I look forward to installing the springs and nice to know I should not have to replace the plates.

Eric
Eric
EM1(SS) Retired
Any day is a good day to ride!

ecbaatz
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ecbaatz »

My fill cap list 10W-40 same as my 96 Kingquad.

Where do you get the 15W-50.

Just curious, I use 15W-40 diesel in my tractor. Never thought to try diesel oil in the bike.

Thanks,
Eric

Still learning.
Eric
EM1(SS) Retired

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

The Springs shown herein on Ebay look like they will weaken just as does the Stock 1400 Springs. And they will not render the same overall performance as does a Full Set of 8 Springs as is what I offer.

I have helped out over 1,200 fellow 1400 Riders in 31 Countries and everyone reports total satisfaction with not only performance they get, but also the value for what they paid to achieve it.

I won't get into a discussion about oil for have I have not done the extensive Testing of the many different oils to offer an informed opinion of substantive worth.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

I cant even say how many times I heard
Designer Springs and Star washers
From the reviews I have read about Designer Springs I think that there one of the last performance parts left for the Intruder. And a good investment

Designer Springs YA

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have been running 10W40 car oil in my intruders for over 300,000 miles, with no oil related problems. I tried the diesel oil, 20W50, for one (short) oil change but the lifters clattered when the bike was cold.

I fought the stock springs for over 150,000 miles on my first 1400, and the first 35,000 on my second 1400. Then I installed Designer's springs and have run well over 180,000 miles with no clutch problems.

Conclusions... Car oil works just fine on the 1400. Designer's springs are well worth the money.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:I have been running 10W40 car oil in my intruders for over 300,000 miles, with no oil related problems. I tried the diesel oil, 20W50, for one (short) oil change but the lifters clattered when the bike was cold.

I fought the stock springs for over 150,000 miles on my first 1400, and the first 35,000 on my second 1400. Then I installed Designer's springs and have run well over 180,000 miles with no clutch problems.

Conclusions... Car oil works just fine on the 1400. Designer's springs are well worth the money.
I have used 'car oil' also and have no slippage with using my Springs.

Didn't I hear you say you transferred my Springs from one 1400 motor to the next one when you bought another 1400?

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Herb wrote:I have been running 10W40 car oil in my intruders for over 300,000 miles, with no oil related problems. I tried the diesel oil, 20W50, for one (short) oil change but the lifters clattered when the bike was cold.

I have used 'car oil' also and have no slippage with using my Springs.

Didn't I hear you say you transferred my Springs from one 1400 motor to the next one when you bought another 1400?
I replace the engine in my 99 and swapped the springs over. The clutch on the 97 engine I put in was slipping bad so I put the springs in. When I did I measured the stock springs and they were at the high end of the length. Put your springs in and it quit slipping, hasn't slipped a bit in over 40,000 miles.

Hell, one time I accidentally put 5W20 in the original 99 engine and never had any slippage with your springs. I did change the oil at about 3,000 miles and went back to 10W40.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

ecbaatz
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ecbaatz »

I am almost regretting I ever asked a question for help. The responses are getting more childish as the go on.

Why?
Eric
EM1(SS) Retired

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

ecbaatz wrote:I am almost regretting I ever asked a question for help. The responses are getting more childish as the go on.

Why?
Because it is fun to mess with the resident trolls.

No matter what the subject is those 2 always chime in with some kind of nonsense.

To start with it is imperative that their improper and, in many cases, unsafe mechanical procedures not be allowed to stand and then they get cranky and it becomes fun to wind them up.

I will admit that I got tired of it and blocked both phreddie and hillsy, I do not respond to their posts. Sometimes I do see their posts quoted by someone else and if they are way out in left field I make a statement about it, just not as a response to their posts.

Sorry if it turned you off to the site, there is a lot of people with a lot of experience with the 1400, you just have to sift through the chaff.

Did you get your bike fixed?

ecbaatz
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ecbaatz »

Was waiting for the riding season to end. Have it apart now. New springs are installed, just have to borrow a torque wrench and torque them down. Than will it it back together. Was a really easy disassembly, but than I read every post I could find on it.

Next will be to replace the brake and clutch lines/hoses. They are original and since I need to replace the fluid, I thought might as well replace the lines as well. It is fun tinkering with it. Especially now that I have a lift to put it on.

Oh, and don’t worry, I am not turned off of the board. I am a submarine sailor. You guys will have to work a lot harder to do that. I just sit back and laugh.
Eric
EM1(SS) Retired

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

ecbaatz wrote: Oh, and don’t worry, I am not turned off of the board. I am a submarine sailor. You guys will have to work a lot harder to do that. I just sit back and laugh.
:clap: Im sure we would all,-- especially me be very interested in how you took the cover off your bike. You may have read a quite a bit of a discussion on how this job should be approached.

Did you support the bike and remove the cross member?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

ecbaatz wrote:Was waiting for the riding season to end. Have it apart now. New springs are installed, just have to borrow a torque wrench and torque them down. Than will it it back together. Was a really easy disassembly, but than I read every post I could find on it.

Next will be to replace the brake and clutch lines/hoses. They are original and since I need to replace the fluid, I thought might as well replace the lines as well. It is fun tinkering with it. Especially now that I have a lift to put it on.

Oh, and don’t worry, I am not turned off of the board. I am a submarine sailor. You guys will have to work a lot harder to do that. I just sit back and laugh.
Glad to hear that.

Thanks for your service. You submarine guys have my greatest respect because I am claustrophobic and even the idea of being in one of those things and stuck underwater bothers me.

ecbaatz
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ecbaatz »

I have a lift table. And yes if by cross member you mean the foot peg bracket, yes I removed it. I jacked up the rear a few inches higher to allow me too get the oil drain pan under the drain plug and just left it as if gave me more room while removing the cross member.

Than I removed the right hand exhaust pipe after removing the bolt holding the muffler on. (Just recently put stock mufflers on). Left the right muffler connected to the left muffler by the cross pipe.

Took many pictures of the disassembly. Made a drawing of the clutch cover to ensure I put the bolts back in the correct spot when I get to that. Especially noting the two bolts that have the rubber washers and which bolts have the hangers attached to them. Again I took a lot of pictures. When in doubt I took pictures.

Removed the rear brake assembly from the cross member and put it up out of the way. Removed the clutch cover. Came off real easy.

Made a pattern of the clutch basket. Numbered the clutch basket bolts/springs than removed them and placed them on the pattern. Removed the spacers one by one and installed them with the new springs, bolts and washer. Tightened them down till I felt resistance and now waiting on aquiring the proper torque wrench. To torque them properly.

Since I had the crossmember off I removed my foot pegs and straightened them as they wer bent from the previous owners and myself (left). I was thinking of getting some Kuryakin pegs but might just stay with stock unless I can find some floor boards for it, (won’t hold my breath).

Again it was fun, after I get the clutch back together I will start on the brake and clutch hydraulic lines.

If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them if I can. I can be more detailed if necessary. I wrote procedures to repair nuclear submarines. Sometimes I can get too detailed orientated.
Eric
EM1(SS) Retired

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Now that's a correct way to do the work there, Ecbaatz. [emoji106] Quite wise to use the Lift and do the work done as you did, if I may add.

And,...it's Only Smart to use a torque wrench too. [emoji106] [space] That is The Tool every Professional uses.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Designer wrote:And,...it's Only Smart to use a torque wrench too. [emoji106] [space] That is The Tool every Professional uses.
It might be if he had one. He's still got the bike on the lift.
Had you read what Ecbaatz said,....he will be getting the proper torque wrench so he can perform the work As A True Professional Mechanic Would Do;
ecbaatz wrote:Made a pattern of the clutch basket. Numbered the clutch basket bolts/springs than removed them and placed them on the pattern. Removed the spacers one by one and installed them with the new springs, bolts and washer. Tightened them down till I felt resistance and now waiting on aquiring the proper torque wrench. To torque them properly.
By using A Torque Wrench so as to install the Spring Bolts as per the specifications the Factory Suzuki Shop Manual says so as to avoid stripping the Threads in the Clutch Basket is Only Smart,.......right?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
By using A Torque Wrench so as to install the Spring Bolts as per the specifications the Factory Suzuki Shop Manual says so as to avoid stripping the Threads in the Clutch Basket is Only Smart,.......right?
Depends on how long he has to wait for his torque wrench I suppose. They're only M6 bolts - it's not like they are going to be torqued to anything unusual or that a slightly uneven torquing across the lot is even going to matter.

But yes - it is probably the smart thing to do if you're not confident with it or you think you might strip them.

ecbaatz
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ecbaatz »

Update, yes I got the torque wrench and have torqued the bolts.

I am not sure why some of the comments about me wanting to use a torque wrench and waiting until I had one to use. Some of them almost seem to make fun of me for wanting to and using a torque wrench.

Would it not make more sense to use one than risk stripping the clutch basket? Which tightening a hard bolt into a soft aluminum could happen very easily. Especially as I know I have a tendency to snap bolts if I am not careful, even using a 1/4” drive socket.

Did you not read my post where I stated I used to write procedures for repairing nuclear submarines? You can’t cut corners there to save time as it could cost lives.

It is December in northern Michigan and not like I will be able to ride anytime soon.

I am more than willing to explain the steps I took to do this modification in as little or as much detail as you would like, including my reasoning for doing what I did. Am I 100% correct no, but neither am I 100% wrong. There are usually more than one way to do things, and not everyone learns the same way. Different views can help immensely.

That is why I read and watched everything I could find on this subject matter before starting. Than I picked a time to do it when there would not be a pressing need to get the bike right back on the road in case I ran into problem. Needing a torque wrench was one problem I knew about and if the gentleman I borrowed the wrench from would have been home on Saturday it would have been torqued the same day. But, he wasn’t. Waiting till Monday did not put a crimp in my plans.

I did other things, straightened the footpegs, took some time understanding what I will have to do to install the new rear brake line, celebrated my birthday. It was not a waste of time.

So again tell my why my not having a torque wrench right away is a reason for some of these negative comments?

I understand the petty squabbles between some members but to include me in them is inappropriate. I am looking to learn about my bike and to be able to maintain and repair it. Is this the correct forum for that or should I look elsewhere? Some of you act worse than kindergartners.
Eric
EM1(SS) Retired

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

ecbaatz wrote:Update, yes I got the torque wrench and have torqued the bolts.
Excellent
What are your other plans for the bike besides replacing brake lines?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

[emoji106]

ecbaatz
Studying MC Handbook

Post by ecbaatz »

FallenAngel wrote:
Excellent
What are your other plans for the bike besides replacing brake lines?
Looking at getting an after market seat, Corbin or Mustang, learning more towards Corbin as I like that they use leather.

Would like to find a set of floorboards. Or maybe go with some forward controls. The only concern I have with them is the cost and not sure I will like them once installed. Would love to find someone who has a set installed that I could at least sit on to see what it is like.

Also looking for a headlight adapter so I can replace the stock headlight bucket with a larger one to give me more options on lighting. And possibly install some hiway lights.

I have swapped all the bulbs except for the 4 indicator bulbs out for LEDs. Changed the rear turn signals to red for both running and turns. Of course I added the diode modification to get the turn signals to flash at a normal rate. And be able to use LEDs from and rear instead of just rear.

I got a set of stock mufflers to try. I know it is sacrilege but I am not a big fan of loud pipes. I also hope it will help with the vibration in the mirrors. They are inexpensive aftermarket as I broke one of the stock trying to adjust it properly when I just got the bike.

The only other big plan is to ride it as much as possible.
Eric
EM1(SS) Retired