Post by Lechy »

Cheers bud. :cheers:

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Clutch plates

Post by hillsy »

Lechy - did you bend that tube for the backrest or was that already done? The bend looks nice if you did that yourself [emoji106]

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

15 mm hand held pipe bender. The wife's son installs air con units so I took a loan of his bender.

[emoji41]

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:Are you trying to argue your chopper is more comfortable to ride all day than this?

I doubt it…….

You can doubt it alllll you want! My Custom Seat and Forwards are just as comfortable. I know because my Riding Buddy has an LC and I have ridden it.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Whats the bike at the back with upside down forks.?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
hillsy wrote:It's not about the size of your feet - it's about the option to move your feet around. The bigger the board, the more optins you have for different positioning of your feet. That is what makes an LC all day rideable (along with the seat).
Nope. [space] I ride with only Foot Pegs AND Custom-made, Sculpted-for-comfort Seat on my other Chopper,.....and have NO PROBLEMS riding all day long. :rock:

Seems you are confessing to some sort of fidgety foot/leg health issue. :Umm: [space] Best you get some,... Professional Help,... with your aging problems there. ;) [space] So you can Keep Up with they who can Really Ride.
I have ridden 900 miles in a day on my 1400 with a stock seat, stock pegs, stock bars. The only addition was the windscreen and a mustache bar highway pegs. Took 17 hours with a stop to replace the rear tube because I had a flat tire.

Not really anything wrong with the stock equipment.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

:funnylast: :lmao: :lmao: :lolfall:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

navigator wrote:Image

Speaking of a bike to be laughed at,......You captured quite well the "Complex" thinking that went into the intake that Fraud has put on his 1400. :clap:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Designer wrote:
navigator wrote:Image

Speaking of a bike to be laughed at,......You captured quite well the "Complex" thinking that went into the intake that Fraud has put on his 1400. :clap:
Ohh ha ha yes I can see how an ametuer could see a similarity. Pity though you could not enjoy the complexity of the other side of it and that it did feed both Cylinders and yet look as though it fed only one. I believe navigator in his infinite wisdom laughed and asked ,--how does the tank go on, well it might look like it wont but it does.

That was the whole point of it or I would need to make some cave man bastardisation of a crude afair made from discarded scafold pipe that ran outside of the cylinders and I was'nt prepared to go down that route.

Im sure you have seen the type I mean. Its seems to be the only way an ametuer can see how do it.

Pipes of that length WILL under any circumstances freeze, I know that it will, it has to by pure science. Something the builder was obviously lacking,

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

When I was about 12-13 yo my old man taught me to gas weld, I made a similar construction out of bits of old exhaust pipes. When I finished I proudly showed it to my dad. He looked at my construction then told me to paint it green. When I finished painting I showed t to him again, he then said to take it outside and throw it into the long grass.

[emoji41]

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Nope..Fred is WRONG AGAIN:
Designer wrote:
WintrSol wrote:
Fred wrote:The early 1400 1987 up to I don't know when,-- was a live pump and relay on ign.
According to my FSM, '87-2006, the fuel pump relay was activated by the same wire (Y/B) that turned on the starter motor relay; that wire comes from the decomp control unit. The decomp control is activated by the wire from the clutch switch (Y/G), which is switched by the start button (also Y/G). So, the original wiring turned the pump on with the starter motor, same as the VS800. It was changed with the '88 model, to be activated by the start button, and the rest by the output of the clutch safety switch. I'm guessing the engineers decided you needed a way to fill the carbs without turning the engine over, but the 'why' is probably no longer known. BTW, in all the VS bikes, the fuel pump relay gets power from the ignition switch; it just isn't activated until it gets the button press, or the signal to a coil from the igniter.
Fred wrote:So you think the pump is attached to the starter and will only pump when cranking. So you crank and crank filling the bowls.
So when the engine fires and you stop cranking -------you have no pump and the engine will run out of fuel.
Is this what you are saying?
WintrSol wrote:No, I also said the pump relay gets a signal from the igniter to a coil; that signal triggers the pump to run as long as the engine runs. The only difference between the '86 and later is that the '86 primes the carbs when the starter motor runs, and in the later models it will run when the start button is pressed, even if you don't run the starter motor (pull the clutch lever).

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

WintrSol wrote: According to my FSM, '87-2006, the fuel pump relay was activated by the same wire (Y/B) that turned on the starter motor relay; that wire comes from the decomp control unit. The decomp control is activated by the wire from the clutch switch (Y/G), which is switched by the start button (also Y/G). So, the original wiring turned the pump on with the starter motor, same as the VS800. It was changed with the '88 model, to be activated by the start button, and the rest by the output of the clutch safety switch. I'm guessing the engineers decided you needed a way to fill the carbs without turning the engine over, but the 'why' is probably no longer known. BTW, in all the VS bikes, the fuel pump relay gets power from the ignition switch; it just isn't activated until it gets the button press, or the signal to a coil from the igniter.
Fred wrote:So you think the pump is attached to the starter and will only pump when cranking. So you crank and crank filling the bowls.
So when the engine fires and you stop cranking -------you have no pump and the engine will run out of fuel.
Is this what you are saying?
WintrSol wrote:No, I also said the pump relay gets a signal from the igniter to a coil; that signal triggers the pump to run as long as the engine runs. The only difference between the '86 and later is that the '86 primes the carbs when the starter motor runs, and in the later models it will run when the start button is pressed, even if you don't run the starter motor (pull the clutch lever).
WintrSol is correct My 87 the pump energizes when Im cranking the engine. Until I read WintrSol's post I thought someone Monkey Humped the wiring

ecbaatz
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Post by ecbaatz »

So, how did we go from cutch plates to fuel pumps?
Eric
EM1(SS) Retired
Any day is a good day to ride!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

ecbaatz wrote:So, how did we ge from cutch plates to fuel pumps?
fred took a left turn.

ecbaatz
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Post by ecbaatz »

navigator wrote:
ecbaatz wrote:So, how did we ge from cutch plates to fuel pumps?
fred took a left turn.

Too bad it wasn’t a right one.
Eric
EM1(SS) Retired
Any day is a good day to ride!

Nbaker
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 93 vs 1400

Post by Nbaker »

So just so everyone knows, i put car oil in my bike. 93 vs 1400. I noticed the clutch slipping within 30 miles. It wasnt bad but full throttle would definitely cause pretty good slippage. Looked on intruders alert and saw everyone talking about bad springs and whatnot. Lots of people arguing about car oil causing slipping or not. Few people blaming plates, etc. Didnt want to go those routes just yet. So I drained the oil, filled the crankcase with gasoline and let it sit overnight. Pumped the clutch a couple of times to work it all around in there. Next day drained and left it all open with a fan to evaporate all of the gas. Put good wet clutch motorcycle oil in it and it grabs just like normal, no more slippage. Been riding it around for awhile with no noticable problems. So, in my experience car oil made the clutch slip. And I was able to fix it without new plates or springs. Gas dissolves all.