Performance Modifications

Gruf
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1986 Suzuki Intruder

Performance Modifications

Post by Gruf »

So I got a 95 vs800 intruder and I am going to be rebuilding it. Engine is like new only 7k miles but everything has to be assembled. What I am trying to find out is what is the best method to get this babys top speed up to 115 mph. I know its possible. Anything I can do from using lightweight parts and engine modifications. I want it to be as fast as it possibly can be. Id like to discuss everything that can be done before an engine bore would be an option as that would be the last option and the most expensive but these 800's are already so quick and have great speed just wanting that extra 15 to 20 mph without having to bore the engine but if thats what it takes I am willing to go that route as well so any input or experience on this subject is appreciated

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Performance Modifications

Post by navigator »

I can tell you that the 800 is pretty optimal in stock configuration.
I do not believe you will get 115 mph out of it, even with an overbore.
I have an 800 I modified for more performance, mods include:
K&N drop-in filters.
Cruiser Magic Nasty Twins with lollipops.
Jets up one size.
Needles lifted the equivalent of one clip groove.
A/F adjustment.
8" over Seeger chopper kit.

I can chirp the rear tire with every shift.
Mileage went from 50 mpg to 45 mpg.
It will not achieve 115 mph.
At 105 mph the front end is awful light...scary.
Your results may vary.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

You're probably not going to find much in the way of off the shelf performance parts for these bikes anymore (or if there was ever any in the first place).

Still, you could do some head work to improve the flow and breathing - cam grind to increase left, possibly larger valves, etc.

That work is more or less generic, but you want to know what you are doing otherwise you could end up going backwards.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Gruf wrote:So I got a 95 vs800 intruder and I am going to be rebuilding it. Engine is like new only 7k miles but everything has to be assembled. What I am trying to find out is what is the best method to get this babys top speed up to 115 mph. I know its possible. Anything I can do from using lightweight parts and engine modifications. I want it to be as fast as it possibly can be. Id like to discuss everything that can be done before an engine bore would be an option as that would be the last option and the most expensive but these 800's are already so quick and have great speed just wanting that extra 15 to 20 mph without having to bore the engine but if thats what it takes I am willing to go that route as well so any input or experience on this subject is appreciated
Hey Gruf
I cat seem to find the specs and or link to some after market Higher left lounger duration cams for the VS 800.
Somewhere I saved the specs and link to these cams (A couple of times) I just cant find where I put my notes
Ill keep looking if your still interested