Gas leaking from engine

hj2095
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS 800

Gas leaking from engine

Post by hj2095 »

Hi again, still working to get my VS 800 going after 2 1/2 years in the garage sitting motionless. I’m having another issue. I put a new battery in, and can start the bike, but as soon as the bike starts to run, lots of gasoline pours down from inside, I guess around the tank, onto the engine. I even get nervous and turn the bike off immediately, I suspect a seal or gasket is not working, but before I take it off my tank and take a look, any suggestions as to where this may be pouring out from? Or which gasket/line needs to be replaced? It only happens when I start the bike. When I turn on the gas, But the bike is not running, there is no leak. Only when I start to give throttle. What are your thoughts? As always, thanks.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Gas leaking from engine

Post by WintrSol »

I'd start by having a look at the front carb, as the fuel pump only runs when it the engine is running or cranking, and that carb only really gets gas when the pump is running. You may want to invest in a small test tank you can hang over the bike, so you can run it with the main tank off. That way, you can see just where the fuel is leaking. You'll wish you have it when you sync the carbs, too. If you're in a reasonable distance from me, you can borrow mine; it doesn't get a lot of use, as you might expect, but can be invaluable for working on Intruders.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Post by rocksandhammers »

WintrSol wrote:You may want to invest in a small test tank you can hang over the bike, so you can run it with the main tank off.
Not to high jack this thread too much, but what do you use for your test tank WinterSol?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

rocksandhammers wrote:
WintrSol wrote:You may want to invest in a small test tank you can hang over the bike, so you can run it with the main tank off.
Not to high jack this thread too much, but what do you use for your test tank WinterSol?
I have one that looks like this one, but pretty sure I paid a lot less for it, don't remember where:
https://bikemaster.com/motorcycle-tools ... -tank.html

EDIT: I just went to the garage and looked, and it is this one:
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

if the float is stuck on the front carb, it will spew gas out of the vent tube.
it will also send gas through the cylinder into the crankcase.
Check your oil level, if it is overfilled or smells like gas, change the oil and filter...after you fix the problem of course.

Maxlaw72
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Boulevard S50

Post by Maxlaw72 »

Hopefully you’ve solved this by now, but I just had the same situation and it was the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump was cracked right after the petcock