Water Condensating from Engine Evap?

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Water Condensating from Engine Evap?

Post by rocksandhammers »

It's finally warming up enough here in the Great Lakes to get some decent rides in. Last weekend I got my first solid 100+ mile ride in of the season. Bike handled well other than some excess vibration because I need a carb sync (planning on getting to that in the coming weeks, just waiting on the aux fuel tank I ordered to come in). However when I rolled into the garage I noticed some sort of fluid dripping from under the bike. Didn't seem good so I started scoping it out and it was coming from the overflow hose running out of the rear air box. The liquid was clear, and surprisingly cold considering the bike was still hot as fuck from the long ride. It did have a small bit of oil in it, and smelled of oil, but that's it. Definitely wasn't brake fluid and it didn't really smell like fuel. I was thinking, I know as the air temps warm up you can have condensation form on the metal bits, with the interior of the engine being no exception, so is this likely just condensation that was in the engine after thawing out of winter that evaporated during running the engine, than condensed back in the overflow? I don't know if this is something that can occur or not, just trying to figure out what it could be. It has been raining here the last couple of days so haven't gotten out to see if it happens again. Worst case I can take a peak in the air box to see the overflow, but I've been hesitant to do that just because I don't want to dick with getting the manifold back on. Haven't changed the oil either since there's barely a hundred miles on it, but I supposed it's worth a look as well. Before I got tearing into the ride though I figured I'd see what you guys think might be going on here.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Water Condensating from Engine Evap?

Post by navigator »

That hose dangling in front of the battery box is indeed a drain off of the rear airbox.
At the bottom of the hose is a duckbill that you can squeeze to drain it.
You likely will not see much in the bottom of the airbox, but you could pull the right side cover and peer down through the intake hole with a flashlite.
Don't Worry! this is all perfectly normal.
the crankcase vent tube empties into the rear airbox, where any condensation in the air will accumulate. The wetter the weather, the more you may find. It smells like oil, because of the crankcase vent.
If you were to overfill the crankcase with oil, this would be the first place it would start showing up.
Just drain it and enjoy your ride. :cheers:

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Post by rocksandhammers »

Awesome. Thanks for the info navigator.
navigator wrote:That hose dangling in front of the battery box is indeed a drain off of the rear airbox.
At the bottom of the hose is a duckbill that you can squeeze to drain it.
I was wondering what the purpose of the duckbill was. Is it to keep the overflow from draining profusely in front of your rear tire? I only ask because even with it on the hose there was still enough moisture in the line to drip out even with it on.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

I'm not sure why its there, its just a half-assed seal...maybe to keep the bees out?? ;IDunno:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

It's a one way valve so unfiltered air does not get drawn back into the airbox.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

hillsy wrote:It's a one way valve so unfiltered air does not get drawn back into the airbox.
That makes sense.