Okay, time for some tire talk

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2005 Boulevard S50

Okay, time for some tire talk

Post by DonGee »

I'm probably going to gift myself some new tires next season, so I'm researching now. I know this can be as bad as an oil discussion, but there's a lot of info out there and I figured I might as well get some advice form actual owners of a bike like mine. Here's some basic criteria and questions relating to them.

1. I know the VS800 is considered a cruiser, but it's a smaller one, and as cruisers go when it comes to tires, reviewers seem to think BIG cruisers. Should I be looking at a different category of tire for this thing?

2. I'm not an aggressive rider. And as I've discovered with this bike, if I lean too far into corners, the pegs are going to hit the asphalt. I don't anticipate cruising the highway at 80 for miles on end. I may hit 70 for a stretch, but normally I'm running on suburban streets at 40-50 mph. Riding time is fun, relaxing time for me.

3. I'm probably going to be paying someone to mount, balance and change my tires, so I'd rather not do that every couple thousand miles. I'd like tires that are likely to get too old before they get too worn.

4. I'm on a limited budget, so yes, cost is a factor. I'm leaning more toward Kenda and Shinko than Michelin or Metzeler. Too bad there's not a site where you can plug in info like this and get recommendations. Or maybe there is and I just haven't found it.

And finally, unlike with my previous bike, this time I'm going to need to buy tubes as well. And apparently rim tape? Once I decide on tires, how does one determine what tubes and tape to buy?

Sorry for all the questions, but I did warn you all when I joined... ;)

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Okay, time for some tire talk

Post by navigator »

Front 100/90-19
Buy a tube with a straight valve stem (TR4), lots of good brands for about $20.
On my S50's I have run:
Metzler ME880, expensive but it will last forever
Pirelli MT66, good all round, medium price, usually will go 20000 mi on the front.
Dunlop 404, a tad cheaper, softer, about 15000 mi out front
Shinko, decent tire, can't tell you mileage yet, still on the bike.

Rear 140/90-15. You can run 150/90-15, but you need to deflate the tire to squeeze it past t he rear gear.
Buy a tube with a 90 degree valve stem. (PV-78)
Metzler ME880 I got about 15000 mi on the rear.
Pirelli MT66, I got about 12000 mi on the rear...this is my go to tire.
Dunlop 404, I got about 10000 mi on the rear.
Shinko, the verdict is out.

Rim strips are cheap, and usually don't need replacing...a reputable shop will let you know.
Merry Christmas to you. :XmasTree:

Edit to add ME880 has been replaced by ME888, sizes may not be available
Pirelli MT66 is what I would recommend. Good price, good grip and good wear.
pirelli owns metzeler.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

This is terrific, navigator. Just the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks! The sizes were the only thing I already knew, and I see no reason to change that. And should I be looking only at tube-type tires? I know people say you can use a tube in a tubeless tire, but is it better not to or does it really not make any difference? I assume I should buy the same exact size tube as tire, either way. Interesting you mention the angled valve for the rear. I noticed what a pita is was to check pressure on the rear tire and that it wasn't as tough on the front. The tubes come with the valves, don't they? I guess that means getting a tube with the angled valve for the rear then.

Thanks again, and a Merry Christmas to you, as well.

Any other thoughts from anyone else are welcome, too.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

You can run a tube in a tubeless tire with no problem. You can't run a tube-type tire tubeless.

Tube type tires are almost impossible to find anymore.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

As Herb said, it doesn't matter.
Pirelli offers the MT66 front in both tube type and tubeless...tube type a few dollars cheaper.
Valve stems are attached to the tubes, just recommending the valve stem type for the location.
Much easier checking the rear with a 90*.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

Sounds good. Thanks.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Just one thing. When you put in the tube with a 90-degree stem, make sure that the stem points to the right so that it is pointing up when the bike is on the sidestand. Makes it much easier to access.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

Ah yes, those little things that we usually think of afterward. I'd like to think the shop I'd use would know that, but you never know. Thanks.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

My rear stems all face left....just sayin'

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:21 am
My rear stems all face left....just sayin'
yeah, and when it is on the side stand they are a PITA to use. I did that ONCE.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

When you position the stem to the rear of the bike at axle height, it just doesn't matter. :ahha:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:29 am
When you position the stem to the rear of the bike at axle height, it just doesn't matter. :ahha:
Yeah, it kinda does. still much harder to get to than if it is on the other side.

HDR
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki Intruder vs800gl

Post by HDR »

:bow:

Thank you so much!! I gotta get in this room more often .. so technically... This is the GOLDEN RULE???

[ ORIGINAL TUBELESS TIRE = CAN ADD TUBE

ORIGINAL TUBED TIRE = CANNOT BE TUBELESS

[/b][/b]
Herb wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:53 pm
You can run a tube in a tubeless tire with no problem. You can't run a tube-type tire tubeless.

Tube type tires are almost impossible to find anymore.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

You are correct sir.

HDR
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki Intruder vs800gl

Post by HDR »

Thanks to all for your insight. I took it to s mechanic friend of mine and he was perplexed because the tire says "tubeless". But it had a tube inside. He was thinking of first not putting the new one back on but since I never experienced any issues because of the tube being there, and an added protection, he did end up putting a tube in again. I have to admit I thought taking off that rear wheel was only for shops, since that's where the power is generated right? Or the motion between the 2 tires. But it's going great holding steady ..

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

HDR wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:46 am
Thanks to all for your insight. I took it to s mechanic friend of mine and he was perplexed because the tire says "tubeless". But it had a tube inside. He was thinking of first not putting the new one back on but since I never experienced any issues because of the tube being there, and an added protection, he did end up putting a tube in again. I have to admit I thought taking off that rear wheel was only for shops, since that's where the power is generated right? Or the motion between the 2 tires. But it's going great holding steady ..
Basically you need a tube because the spokes will leak air....not the tire itself.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

And now it's time for a dumb follow-up question.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a couple of new Pirelli MT66 tires for the S50. For the tubes I know I want a 90 degree angle valve for the rear and a straight for the front. And navigator, I see in your original reply you mentioned a TR-4 stem for the front. Based on just tube size I put a TR-6 in my shopping cart and went back and noticed the TR-4 is almost twice as expensive as the TR-6. What's the reason for the price difference? The manuals don't even mention the valve stems. And in researching I'm seeing replies ranging from 'theres no difference' to 'one has an oval base and one is round' to 'one in for the center of the rim and one is offset'.

I'm all for saving a few bucks if I can, but I also don't want to risk getting the wrong thing. Is there a definitive consensus among the riders here?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

You can use either.
TR-4 (round base) Center/side metal valve (threaded and nuts)
TR-6 (oval base) Center metal valve (threaded and nuts)

Since your wheel has the stem hole centered, TR6, being cheaper will work fine.
The TR4 works for the center AND can be used if the hole is not centered in the rim.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

Excellent. Thanks so much!

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

Okay, folks. It's been two years and a few months since I installed the Pirelli MT66 Route tires on my S50, and I really really like them. Now, 18k + miles later, they still look pretty good, but I figure I shouldn't push it. So I went to order another set and lo and behold most everyone is showing Out Of Stock for the front 100/90-19. Fearing the worst, I emailed Pirelli and they replied: Thank you for reaching out. This product has unfortunately been discontinued. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may create.

Which means I'm shopping again. Metzlers are still a bit pricey for me. Same for the Michelin Challenger. I guess the Dunlop 404 are still a possibility, but lots of reviews I read people don't like them for whatever reason.

So now that it's been two years since my original post, I'm wondering how you like your Shinko tires, navigator. I'm seriously thinking about the Shinko 712, which are supposedly made for a lighter cruiser, or their 777. I'm also considering the Kenda K657. I'm also discovering that with most all tires, I'll see lots of positive reviews, but all it takes is one or two negatives to get me (over)thinking.

Thanks for any updated thoughts.