strange handlebar break

amsdadtodd
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1993 Suzuki Intruder 800

strange handlebar break

Post by amsdadtodd »

While coming in from a ride last weekend, my handlebar snapped when I hit a rather small bump. It is a clean break about an inch from the left mount, right below the speedometer. I've had many friends warn me to go over this very carefully, as they feel something else caused the weakness at this point. If anyone can tell me where I should look for trouble, it would be greatly appreciated!
I have photo's, if I can figure out how to attach them to this post I will do so.

Thank you for any suggestions!
The bike is a 1993 VS800 with 15,000 miles on it.

Todd

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: strange handlebar break

Post by sgtcall »

Are the bars stock or aftermarket? Any modifications?
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

amsdadtodd
Tricycles are Cool

Post by amsdadtodd »

Thanks for asking, I should have included that! The bars are stock, in fact the entire bike is except for a bolt on Memphis shade.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Your bars are drilled for wires at the risers but I don't think that would cause the break. I would assume just age or they were bent at some point and someone tried to straighten them out. Best bet is to reach out on the VS800 board and see if anyone has bars for sale. Then install them your self. Getting the wires back through the bars is the worst part. http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewforum.php?f=13
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Im just guessing here but I think the bars may have been bent at one time then straightened
Handle bars are strong enough that if the forks are locked the locking pin can binned
do you see any rust in the break or evidence of being bent??

Edit
I agree with SgtCall He beat me to the post

amsdadtodd
Tricycles are Cool

Post by amsdadtodd »

Thank you both for your responses!
I don't see any sign of prior bending and straightening, nor is there any rust in the break. This bike was clearly garaged before I got it, and I've also kept it in the garage between rides for the year that I've had it.

I have replacement bars ordered and on the way, so unless I see something else while working on it, I hope to be back on the road quickly.
I do plan to go over the entire front of the bike carefully while I have it dismantled, I would really like to find a reason for this break, rather than hope it was just weak handlebar metal, but if that turns out to be the case, then so be it.

Todd

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

sgtcall wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:07 pm
Getting the wires back through the bars is the worst part.
I use compressed air to blown in through the open end at the Grip to get them back through the bars to the Riser Hole. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

amsdadtodd
Tricycles are Cool

Post by amsdadtodd »

Thanks Designer, that makes sense, we do the same thing to get a line inside conduit to help pull cables through.

I took a closer look at the bars, and there is a crack in the other side as well. The wires you all mentioned actually come out a slot in the bottom of the bars, and the original break is at the left end of that slot, while the other, previously un-noticed crack, is at the right end of the same slot. This now makes me think there was a significant bump or something at some point which weakened the bar at those two points, which would be the weakest area closest to the risers on each side.

At least this bodes well for no other damage to be concerned with, but I'll still take a close look while I have everything apart.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, I'm sure they will be helpful when I get to work on it.

Todd

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Has someone tried to enlarge the holes - and weakened them in the process perhaps? Most bars with pre-cut holes are punched / stamped and the holes are more of an oval shape - but more importantly they have no sharp edges where cracks can form.

Or....bike has been dropped on the bars and simply weakened them at those points....

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

If the bars took that big of a hit I would also have to question your forks. Do they have enough oil? Are you leaking oil around the fork seals? Are the springs compressed?

Since you are waiting anyway it may be a good time to replace the oil in the forks and put in new seals at least.

http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopi ... FOrk+seals

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11726&hilit=Fork+Seals

http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopi ... =Fork+Seal

amsdadtodd
Tricycles are Cool

Post by amsdadtodd »

The forks are not leaking, but while I have it disassembled I will make sure oil and springs are looking good.

I reached out the the guy I bought it from, he told me that the bike was towed once, and he didn't like how it was tethered at the handlebars. It's possible that this could have weakened them, although I put 3K miles on it since I bought it, and it just now happened.

All good stuff, thanks again for your suggestions!

Todd

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

If a Canyon Dancer bar harness was used to tow it on a flat bed tow truck or a trailer then it may have been to tight but it would have to be really really tight to bend the bars
If the bars where used to lift the bike on a wrecker then it could have caused the damage but you would see evidence on the bottom or top of the bars.
Any way glad you fond something and happy your looking deeper at the forks

amsdadtodd
Tricycles are Cool

Post by amsdadtodd »

alright, now that I have everything taken apart, I found that the lower handle bar mount bracket and associated stem and hardware were loose enough that the mount was able to freely rotate on the side where the break occurred. As I was disassembling the hardware around the handgrip on the left side, there was also evidence of a previous drop on that side, and the long bolt inside it had obviously been straightened back out afterwards. New hardware for that is on it's way now.

Looks like it won't be too big a deal to get back on the road from this point, although I think I want to find a better handlebar since I'm waiting for parts. The one I got from e-bay is not quite the same, it has no holes drilled and the bends are much shallower.

Todd