Rotor Remover

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Rotor Remover

Post by rocksandhammers »

Alright guys, need a little help identifying the tool I need. Currently in the process of a top-end tear down. Piston rings were worn, but since I'm already digging into it I'm disassembling all of the top end so I can go through everything and make sure that's it and get everything nice and clean. I'm almost done but now I'm stuck at getting the rotor off so I can get to the cam chain behind it. I got the rotor securing bolt off already. Unfortunately when I ordered a rotor removal tool off ebay I ordered the wrong one, so does anyone know the part number for the rotor remover for an '06 VS800? Tried doing some googling but couldn't find anything definitive, and want to make sure I order the correct one this time. Thanks in advance.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Rotor Remover

Post by WintrSol »

The part number of the rotor remover tool in the service manual is 09930-30720
Partzilla shows it superseded by 09930-30721: https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/09930-30721
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast

Awesome. Thanks WintrSol!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

A lot of Suzuki models had the rotor thread the same as the rear axle - so you could use that as a "puller".

Not sure if that works with the Intruder models though...

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Nah Hillsy, the Intruders are a different set up, it's like a threaded bush with a key, bloody expensive for a one off tool. When I did mine to replace the cam chains I used a 2 leg hub puller (a bit of McGuivering required) a 12mm 3/8 drive socket to push against and to protect the threads in the crankshaft a shop hammer and a load of heat. It took quite a while heating the centre of the rotor and beating on the puller bolt but it eventually popped off (with a bloody big bang and clatter). Rig mechanics don't pussyfoot around, LOL
Grow old disgracefully young man.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Lechy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:56 pm
Nah Hillsy, the Intruders are a different set up, it's like a threaded bush with a key, bloody expensive for a one off tool. When I did mine to replace the cam chains I used a 2 leg hub puller (a bit of McGuivering required) a 12mm 3/8 drive socket to push against and to protect the threads in the crankshaft a shop hammer and a load of heat. It took quite a while heating the centre of the rotor and beating on the puller bolt but it eventually popped off (with a bloody big bang and clatter). Rig mechanics don't pussyfoot around, LOL
Oh yeah - that makes sense being keyed for the ignition pick up timing. The GS models weren't keyed and you could put them on any way.

And BTW - you should take care when beating these things with a hammer - the magnets can quite easily get de-magnetised..... and then you'll wonder why your stator is not putting out decent voltage... worst case scenario the magnets can even break and fall out of the rotor....

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

When pulling hubs you don't beat on the hub but on the head of the pulling bolt when under tension the term for this is "jarring".

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Thanks Lechy for posting your technical experience. Once again, your expertise teaches the mechanics.
I had similar issues in getting mine off the several 1400 and 1500 Motors I worked on.

Good to have you on this Board. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Lechy wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:52 am
When pulling hubs you don't beat on the hub but on the head of the pulling bolt when under tension the term for this is "jarring".
Yeah I figured you wouldn't be doing that but just in case someone else thinks banging on the rotor is not a problem.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:39 pm
And BTW - you should take care when beating these things with a hammer - the magnets can quite easily get de-magnetised..... and then you'll wonder why your stator is not putting out decent voltage... worst case scenario the magnets can even break and fall out of the rotor....
Lechy wrote:
hillsy wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:35 am
Yeah I figured you wouldn't be doing that but just in case someone else thinks banging on the rotor is not a problem.
But, but, but,....Lechy never said he was ...."banging on the rotor". He said this;
Lechy wrote:
Nah Hillsy, the Intruders are a different set up, ...... It took quite a while heating the centre of the rotor and beating on the puller bolt but it eventually popped off (with a bloody big bang and clatter). Rig mechanics don't pussyfoot around, LOL

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

I probably would have come up with a shade-tree solution like Lechy, too - $130 for a tool you probably use once, then list for sale here in hopes another member needs one is still a bit pricey!
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:11 am
hillsy wrote:
Lechy wrote:
hillsy wrote:
But, but, but,....Lechy never said he was ...."banging on the rotor". He said this;
Lechy wrote:
Nah Hillsy, the Intruders are a different set up, ...... It took quite a while heating the centre of the rotor and beating on the puller bolt but it eventually popped off (with a bloody big bang and clatter). Rig mechanics don't pussyfoot around, LOL
How about you stay away from stuff you don't know about?

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast

WintrSol wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:24 am
I probably would have come up with a shade-tree solution like Lechy, too - $130 for a tool you probably use once, then list for sale here in hopes another member needs one is still a bit pricey!
Yeah. Finding some non-Suzuki manufactured ones on Ebay for like $60-70, but if anyone on here has one they'd part with/lend out I'd rather pay one of you. Haha

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:43 pm
Designer wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:11 am
hillsy wrote:
Lechy wrote:
hillsy wrote:
Lechy wrote:
How about you stay away from stuff you don't know about?
WOW! What an attitude! Certainly not in The Spirit of our Tech Board and helping others out.

How about you read what others say correctly and better in the first place,...so we avoid having to see you lecturing them about them making mistakes,...mistakes that what they originally said shows..... They Did Not Make At All.

Sheesh!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:44 am

WOW! What an attitude! Certainly not in The Spirit of our Tech Board and helping others out.

We all know why you are here. Congratulations on still being butthurt.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

CRIMINY!!!

Another simple post/thread turned into a BS thread by the aussi troll.

rocksandhammers, I hope you are willing to stick with this and ignore the troll's crap.

Lechy gave good advice. Homemade tolls quite often do the job without the cost of factory tolls.

Keep in mind that the cost of the factory tool is about the same as the cost of 9 cases of beer...
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:23 pm
CRIMINY!!!

Another simple post/thread turned into a BS thread by the aussi troll.

Was going OK until your butthurt mate chimed in - you should probably re-read the thread..... :lmao:

Anyway, if you want to fashion a makeshift puller and bring out the big hammers that's fine (I'd probably do the same) but just be careful where you hit the rotor or you could fuck up the magnets. That's all.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
CRIMINY!!!
Another simple post/thread turned into a BS thread by the aussi troll. rocksandhammers, I hope you are willing to stick with this and ignore the troll's crap. Lechy gave good advice. Homemade tools quite often do the job without the cost of factory tolls.

Yes,...as you correctly point out. Lechy did given rocksandhammers some quite helpful advice and direction ... the kind of stuff that Our Tech Board is Famous For Giving To Our Fellow Riders When In Trouble. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Yet Instead,....He gets lectured by another .."Board Member"...as if Lechy's Accurate Experiential Help was faulty ? Lechy was Spot On. :cheers:

And then,....when The Facts Be Shown To Everyone & The Lecturer ...that Lechy did nothing of what "The Lecturer" accuses him of......Do we see "The Lecturer" Board Member acknowledge his mistake? :uhh:

Obviously,.............he didn't. :blink:

He just HAS TO try to gloss-over his mistaken posting. And then,..he attacks they who point out his misguiding, wrongful admonishing of Lechy's Helping Hand .

How is that negativity in keeping with The Spirit Of Helping Others that we are all here on The Tech Board for? :Umm:

Herb wrote:
....Keep in mind that the cost of the factory tool is about the same as the cost of 9 cases of beer...
I could drink to that! :cheers:

:lolfall:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Ferfuxake give it a break.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Lechy wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:06 pm
Ferfuxake give it a break.
Several here think like you and he wish he would do that.