Longer brake and clutch lines?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Longer brake and clutch lines?

Post by hillsy »

Acton67 wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:06 pm
Going to end up making my own custom throttle cable if no bike shops around here will do it. Thanks for all the info guys.
You can buy a replacement bicycle brake cable which gives you the inner cable, sheathing and one end already done:

Then it's a matter of switching over all the fittings from the Intruder and cutting to size / fitting the other end. Not sure if your local bike shop would do that for you (a lot of them shy away from soldering cable ends as they can come off easily at times). But you can buy screw-in end fittings to DIY:

I normally use a solid metal piece with a hole drilled for the cable then solder the wire into it. You need to flare out the ends of the cable once it is through the end and then solder it in.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

:bow: .......Thank you hillsy,..for confirming what was posted back several days ago;
Designer wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:49 am
I also made my own Custom-length Throttle Cables (with the Braided Stainless Steel look) using Mountain Bike Cables and Screwed-on Barrels Ends.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:38 pm
Thank you hillsy,..for confirming what was posted back several days ago;
Of course you said it first - just adding more content.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Ended up reaching out to the shop Navigator mentioned since I live within 2hrs of that area. They said they could do it. Going to end up making my own custom throttle cable if no bike shops around here will do it. Thanks for all the info guys.
When you do, you will probably find that the Barrel Ends for bicycles are not the same as the Barrel End at the Throttle Grip.
The Barrel end you see in the picture at the top of this page is the correct "style",....... however, it is too large in diameter and thus will not fit into the Plastic Twist Grip Sleeve receiving hole in the Throttle Grip. The Barrel End at the Throttle Cable Splitter is entirely different shape so see me next Sentence for assistance with all this

When I made my Throttle Cable, I went to a local Hobby Shop that had RC helicopters and such. They had several different Types/Sizes/Styles of Screw-on Cable ends right there, in-stock. Thus, I could find the exact ones I needed by trying them out before purchase.

Be sure your Cable Casing is lined with the Teflon-type/Plastic Inner Sleeve ( not bare wire). Mountain Bike Cables most always have this because of their more rugged/off-road environments they ride in.

And,...very important,..when you are making your cables, be sure to have the Inner Wire extend just past the Screw-on Barrel end a wee bit.
For the Barrel end Screw,. tighten it,...loosen it,...and retighten it WELL with LockTite. This makes from the best possible Holding/Clamping Pressure on the compressible Inner Wire.

And,...for cheap insurance,....then, fray the little Inner Wires that sticks out past the Screw-on Barrel End and bend them over the Screw-on Barrel End This helps prevent the Inner Wire from slipping through the hole in the Screw-on Barrel End.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by Acton67 »

Will probably start working on this in a month or so after I've got the carbs back on the bike and I'm done painting everything. I'll let you guys know how it goes

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

We appreciate being informed of how changes, builds, and mods go.

Good luck.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Glad you are making progress there, Acton67.

Keep us Updated :ShitGrinandThumb:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Acton67 wrote:
Ended up reaching out to the shop Navigator mentioned since I live within 2hrs of that area. They said they could do it. Going to end up making my own custom throttle cable if no bike shops around here will do it. Thanks for all the info guys.
If you run up to Latham to have the hoses made, they can usually do it while you wait.
PM me if you do come up, I'll meet up with you and buy you a beer while you wait. :cheers:

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by Acton67 »

navigator wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:22 am
Acton67 wrote:
If you run up to Latham to have the hoses made, they can usually do it while you wait.
PM me if you do come up, I'll meet up with you and buy you a beer while you wait. :cheers:
I'll definitely take you up on that offer! I'll PM you when I figure out when I'm gonna make the run.