Neutral light stuck on?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Neutral light stuck on?

Post by hillsy »

Acton67 wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:52 am

So you had a ratchet strap over the wires?

I'd say you have a short because of that.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by Acton67 »

I checked the wires best I could without removing them completely from where they were routed through by pulling on them and moving them around. The light stays solid the whole time.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Acton67 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:26 pm
I checked the wires best I could without removing them completely from where they were routed through by pulling on them and moving them around. The light stays solid the whole time.
So you unplug the neutral wire and the light goes off - you plug it in and the light stays on all the time?

You have a short in the switch. It's a simple ground circuit that the ball bearing activates when the shift shaft is in the correct position for neutral.

You will have to take the switch with it's wiring completely off the bike - it is shorting somewhere and it either needs re-wiring or replacement.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

hillsy wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:32 pm
Acton67 wrote:
So you unplug the neutral wire and the light goes off - you plug it in and the light stays on all the time?
Yes. The light should go off if the Switch isn't making any contact with the ball bearing, right?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Acton67 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:19 pm
hillsy wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:32 pm
Acton67 wrote:
Yes. The light should go off if the Switch isn't making any contact with the ball bearing, right?
Correct. But yours isn't doing that because it is grounding in the wiring somewhere.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:40 pm
It's similar but not the same. It looks like this. The Blue and black wires are for the neutral switch.
but, but, but,...I was told this. :Umm:

Acton67 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:40 pm
I had the switch off the bike but still connected to the harness and the lights still on. What could this be?

Assuming it is a Grounding switch,.....may I ask,....was the Black Wire I see in the Picture (it has the crimped-on, Gold-colored uninsulated Eyelet terminal on it that you see on the far Right)....... still connected to The Bike ( Black being a Ground wire) and thus an "active" Ground?

And, if so, try disconnecting it at both ends and see if the Neutral Light is still on. You may have a short between the Black Grounding wire and the Neutral Switch Wire.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

The black wire with the gold ring is for the oil pressure sender.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Lechy wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:21 am
Ah! So on the 800 that switch is over on that side.

Thanks' Lechy. :ShitGrinandThumb:

So, the Test I am proposing might be altered to look for a possible short to the Black Wire of the two wires of the Side Stand Switch,...that are not connected to the "removed" switch, but are still connected to the Harness.

Recalling what you said before;
Acton67 wrote:
Took a look at my bike and I think I know what happened. Me and my uncle where strapping the bike down to my lift table. He put the strap across these wires, one of them could possibly be going to the neutral switch?.
Could there be a problem with the wires that are hidden under the Protective Covering?

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:56 am
Lechy wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:21 am
Ah! So on the 800 that switch is over on that side.

Thanks' Lechy. :ShitGrinandThumb:

So, the Test I am proposing might be altered to look for a possible short to the Black Wire of the two wires of the Side Stand Switch,...that are not connected to the "removed" switch, but are still connected to the Harness.

Recalling what you said before;
Acton67 wrote:
Took a look at my bike and I think I know what happened. Me and my uncle where strapping the bike down to my lift table. He put the strap across these wires, one of them could possibly be going to the neutral switch?.
Could there be a problem with the wires that are hidden under the Protective Covering?
I pulled the cover up but can't remove it completely because of the radiator pipe that's in the way. I was able to move the wires back and forth though and I pulled on each with no effect. Today I'm going to disconnect the blue and black wires from the plastic connector, tie a peice of string go the end of each wire then feed them through to get a better look. If there's no problem with them I will pull them back through with the string.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

I like your Tenacity here.

May I suggest this,....instead of performing this " extraction" operation to inspect the Wires, let's first run a simple test,.... why not disconnect those Side Stand Switch Wires from the Harness?

If they are shorting-to-ground and making the Neutral Light come on, wouldn't doing that "disconnect" their shorting?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Acton67 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:34 am

I pulled the cover up but can't remove it completely because of the radiator pipe that's in the way.
Are you talking about this hose with the steel bend and protective coil sheathing or the chrome pipe at the rear of the pic?

the front hose is your clutch hose. And it looks like it's been bent down right on top of the starter motor cover.

I would suggest you remove the slave cylinder, remove the starter motor cover and check the wiring for the neutral / side stand switch at the entry point under the starter motor cover. That sheathing is heat resistant and you can easily crush the wires inside without any evidence of damage to the outside sheathing.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:42 am
I like your Tenacity here.

May I suggest this,....instead of performing this " extraction" operation to inspect the Wires, let's first run a simple test,.... why not disconnect those Side Stand Switch Wires from the Harness?

If they are shorting-to-ground and making the Neutral Light come on, wouldn't doing that "disconnect" their shorting?
So I pulled the wires today and the long black wire going to the oil pressure sensor was frayed which I repaired. That did not solve the issue. When I pull the green wire the light does go off. When I pull the blue/black wires the light does not go off. The blue/black wires are supposed to be to the neutral switch, and the green/black white go to the kickstand relay which has been bypassed. There is definitely a short but I cannot find the source. I removed all the wires from where they are routed through underneath the starter motor cover and then removed the sheath and there was no crimping/fraying anywhere along the length of the wires like I found on the oil pressure sensor wire. I've got a new neutral sensor coming in the mail so I'll see if that fixes the issue. Tried doing my own repairs to this one with no luck. Going to have fun with feeding those wires around everything again when the new neutral switch comes in. . . wish there was an easier way to do it.
hillsy wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:26 pm
Acton67 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:34 am

I pulled the cover up but can't remove it completely because of the radiator pipe that's in the way.
Are you talking about this hose with the steel bend and protective coil sheathing or the chrome pipe at the rear of the pic?

the front hose is your clutch hose. And it looks like it's been bent down right on top of the starter motor cover.

I would suggest you remove the slave cylinder, remove the starter motor cover and check the wiring for the neutral / side stand switch at the entry point under the starter motor cover. That sheathing is heat resistant and you can easily crush the wires inside without any evidence of damage to the outside sheathing.
Yes I'm talking about the chrome pipe in the rear of the pic. The screw directly underneath it hits the bottom of it and I cant remove the starter motor cover because of it. Is it possible I bent the pipe down slightly when I had the winch strap over it causing this issue? I could try bending it back up slightly?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Acton67 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:48 pm

Yes I'm talking about the chrome pipe in the rear of the pic. The screw directly underneath it hits the bottom of it and I cant remove the starter motor cover because of it. Is it possible I bent the pipe down slightly when I had the winch strap over it causing this issue? I could try bending it back up slightly?
Yes I would say you would have bent that pipe if you had a ratchet strap over it - which would explain the fluid leak. You should be able to pry it up enough to get the cover bolt out.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

hillsy wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:57 pm
Acton67 wrote:

Yes I would say you would have bent that pipe if you had a ratchet strap over it - which would explain the fluid leak. You should be able to pry it up enough to get the cover bolt out.
Yeah its not leaking anymore but I didn't think that it might have been bent down slightly still. Being able to take that cover off will make it a lot easier to route the new neutral switch through easier.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

To remove the starter motor cover you will need to unbolt the chrome pipe then remove the water manifold from the cylinder. It's a real bitch of a job to do as you will find out. Keep the kids away or they will learn a new language.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

So on my way to work this morning I was thinking about how the kickstand switch is the probable culprit of the short. Instead of using the kickstand bypass at the switch I'm going to make a new bypass right at the main harness so the only power in will be through the blue wire to the neutral switch. I will do this tomorrow and report back. At work today unfortunately.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:03 am
So on my way to work this morning I was thinking about how the kickstand switch is the probable culprit of the short. Instead of using the kickstand bypass at the switch I'm going to make a new bypass right at the main harness so the only power in will be through the blue wire to the neutral switch. I will do this tomorrow and report back. At work today unfortunately.
I have been thinking about your predicament ever since I read what you posted above;
Acton67 wrote:
So I pulled the wires today and the long black wire going to the oil pressure sensor was frayed which I repaired. That did not solve the issue. When I pull the green wire the light does go off. When I pull the blue/black wires the light does not go off. The blue/black wires are supposed to be to the neutral switch, and the green/black white go to the kickstand relay which has been bypassed. There is definitely a short but I cannot find the source. I removed all the wires from where they are routed through underneath the starter motor cover and then removed the sheath and there was no crimping/fraying anywhere along the length of the wires like I found on the oil pressure sensor wire. I've got a new neutral sensor coming in the mail so I'll see if that fixes the issue. Tried doing my own repairs to this one with no luck. Going to have fun with feeding those wires around everything again when the new neutral switch comes in. . . wish there was an easier way to do it.

When you say you... "pull the green wire"...are you speaking of moving just the Green Wire in this picture, or are you also moving the Green Wire that goes up towards the Main Wiring Harness also?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Usually to bypass the side stand switch, you would unplug the two leads on the switch, and connect those two corresponding wires on the harness together.
Not quite sure what you did previously.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:54 pm
When you say you... "pull the green wire"...are you speaking of moving just the Green Wire in this picture, or are you also moving the Green Wire that goes up towards the Main Wiring Harness also?

I pulled the green wire off the main harness.
navigator wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:29 pm
Usually to bypass the side stand switch, you would unplug the two leads on the switch, and connect those two corresponding wires on the harness together.
Not quite sure what you did previously.
The bypass placed by the shop last spring was at the switch here.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:45 pm
I pulled the green wire off the main harness.
That's kinda-sorta, what I thought happened.

Doesn't that indicate there's a short somewhere in the Green wire from that Black Connector all the way up to the Neutral Light itself? :Umm: