Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Re: Neutral light stuck on?

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:49 am
Acton67 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:45 pm
I pulled the green wire off the main harness.
That's kinda-sorta, what I thought happened.

Doesn't that indicate there's a short somewhere in the Green wire from that Black Connector all the way up to the Neutral Light itself? :Umm:
So you don't think there's a short anywhere on the switch but in the main harness somewhere. I bypassed the green to the black and white at the main harness this morning. No change.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:29 am
Designer wrote:
Acton67 wrote:
So you don't think there's a short anywhere on the switch but in the main harness somewhere. I bypassed the green to the black and white at the main harness this morning. No change.
From what I know of the Intruders wiring, there is only one wire going to the Neutral Switch. It is a Grounding Switch in that to to Turn On the Neutral Light, it must "connect" to Ground. In this case, it connects to Ground when the little Ball Bearing in the Shifter Mechanism makes contact with the little Brass piece within the Switch. ( you can see it in this picture)

Thus,...there cannot be a "short" on the Switch when it is not bolted to the Engine because it needs the Grounded Engine to complete the circuit and turn on the Neutral light.

I see that I made a mistake in the Color Coding of the Wires. It seems that the Blue wire within the White Connector is the Neutral Switch wire, not the Green one as I said.

Acton67 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:48 pm
So I pulled the wires today and the long black wire going to the oil pressure sensor was frayed which I repaired. That did not solve the issue. When I pull the green wire the light does go off. When I pull the blue/black wires the light does not go off.
Doesn't that seem to indicate the Black Neutral Switch Wire is shorting to the Green Kickstand Switch wire? Perhaps not in the wires you see in the Picture, but maybe farther up into the Main Harness?

How about this test. Since the Green Wire is a constant Ground now with the way you bypassed the Kickstand Switch. let's DIS-connect the Green Wire and the Black/White (ground) wire at the Kickstand Switch location. Then re-do the same thing you did here with the Green Wire;
Acton67 wrote:
.... When I pull the green wire the light does go off. When I pull the blue/black wires the light does not go off.
This should narrow things down for you a bit. :bow:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:43 am
Acton67 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:29 am
Designer wrote:
Acton67 wrote:
From what I know of the Intruders wiring, there is only one wire going to the Neutral Switch. It is a Grounding Switch in that to to Turn On the Neutral Light, it must "connect" to Ground. In this case, it connects to Ground when the little Ball Bearing in the Shifter Mechanism makes contact with the little Brass piece within the Switch. ( you can see it in this picture)

Thus,...there cannot be a "short" on the Switch when it is not bolted to the Engine because it needs the Grounded Engine to complete the circuit and turn on the Neutral light.

I see that I made a mistake in the Color Coding of the Wires. It seems that the Blue wire within the White Connector is the Neutral Switch wire, not the Green one as I said.

Acton67 wrote:
So I pulled the wires today and the long black wire going to the oil pressure sensor was frayed which I repaired. That did not solve the issue. When I pull the green wire the light does go off. When I pull the blue/black wires the light does not go off.
Doesn't that seem to indicate the Black Neutral Switch Wire is shorting to the Green Kickstand Switch wire? Perhaps not in the wires you see in the Picture, but maybe farther up into the Main Harness?

How about this test. Since the Green Wire is a constant Ground now with the way you bypassed the Kickstand Switch. let's DIS-connect the Green Wire and the Black/White (ground) wire at the Kickstand Switch location. Then re-do the same thing you did here with the Green Wire;
Acton67 wrote:
.... When I pull the green wire the light does go off. When I pull the blue/black wires the light does not go off.
This should narrow things down for you a bit. :bow:
So with the bypass on the main harness and the neutral switch completely disconnected from the harness the neutral light still stays on. This indicates the short is definitely somewhere on the bike other then the switch. Now how do I find the source of the short?

Unfortunately this means the new switch I have coming won't fix the issue either....

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:40 pm
So with the bypass on the main harness and the neutral switch completely disconnected from the harness the neutral light still stays on. This indicates the short is definitely somewhere on the bike other then the switch. Now how do I find the source of the short?
Let me see if I have it correct now.
First, if you disconnected the Green/Black/White Sidestand Switch Bypass. ( so that the Green Wire is not always grounded via the Black/White wire)
Then you removed the 4 wires and Neutral Switch assembly from the Harness.
And then you now report the the Neutral Light stays on.

Did you try moving/wiggling the Green Wire on the Harness to see if it makes a difference? Also try doing that to the Black Wire that powers the Neutral Switch. This is to test to see if there is a short close by the Switch/Sideastand Wiring assembly you removed.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:00 pm
Acton67 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:40 pm
Let me see if I have it correct now.
First, if you disconnected the Green/Black/White Sidestand Switch Bypass. ( so that the Green Wire is not always grounded via the Black/White wire)
Then you removed the 4 wires and Neutral Switch assembly from the Harness.
And then you now report the the Neutral Light stays on.

Did you try moving/wiggling the Green Wire on the Harness to see if it makes a difference? Also try doing that to the Black Wire that powers the Neutral Switch. This is to test to see if there is a short close by the Switch/Sideastand Wiring assembly you removed.
I did not disconnect the bypass at the harness with the bike running. I did disconnect it with the power on though and that turns off all the lights on the indicator panel. All the lights come on the indicator panel normally though when I turn the key but haven't started the bike yet so I'm sot sure that there's anything abnormal with the disconnected kickstand switch bypass killing power to all the lights at that point. With the bike running I did jigle those wires with no effect.

So the blue wire must be getting grounded out at some point on the main harness right?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:25 pm
So the blue wire must be getting grounded out at some point on the main harness right?
Yes, it must be. And it seemed like such grounding was happening to the Green Wire,....which is made into a Ground Wire when it is connected to the Black/White Ground Wire at the SideStand Switch bypass,...when you said this:
Acton67 wrote:
Designer wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:54 pm
When you say you... "pull the green wire"...are you speaking of moving just the Green Wire in this picture, or are you also moving the Green Wire that goes up towards the Main Wiring Harness also?

Acton67 wrote:
With the bike running I did jiggle those wires with no effect.
Just to be clear, when you did this, all these wires in the Neutral/Sidestand Switch Assembly ( Assembly meaning, all the wires and Neutral Switch you see in this picture) were disconnected,...right?

Acton67 wrote:
I did not disconnect the bypass at the harness with the bike running. I did disconnect it with the power on though and that turns off all the lights on the indicator panel. All the lights come on the indicator panel normally though when I turn the key but haven't started the bike yet so I'm sot sure that there's anything abnormal with the disconnected kickstand switch bypass killing power to all the lights at that point.
Let's take one thing at a time.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

It could be an issue with the diode but appears that you are chasing your tail. Maybe this diagram will help because you can stick to wire colors and trace each wire to find the problem.

I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Herb wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:21 am
It could be an issue with the diode but appears that you are chasing your tail. Maybe this diagram will help because you can stick to wire colors and trace each wire to find the problem.

Where's the diode on the bike?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Not sure on the 800, on the 1400 it is in the wiring under the seat. It is a small rectangular black item with 3 wires on it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Any word on your tracing the short?

My suggesting we tackle the Neutral Light problem as I have is to narrow your Searching for the source of the problem you have. It could lead to the source of more things that you report are amiss.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:15 am

My suggesting we tackle the Neutral Light problem as I have is to narrow your Searching for the source of the problem you have. It could lead to the source of more things that you report are amiss.
Electrical trouble shooting 101. fix one problem at a time... Trying to find the interconnect of numerous problems only confuses the issue.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:03 am
Designer wrote:
Electrical trouble shooting 101. fix one problem at a time... Trying to find the interconnect of numerous problems only confuses the issue.
I hear you Herb!
Designer wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:53 am

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:08 am
Herb wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:03 am
Designer wrote:
I hear you Herb!
Designer wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:53 am

Here's the update you guys were looking for!

https://youtube.com/shorts/ojKkjRkK0PA?feature=share

Now the question is how do I fix this? Do I have to cut the cover off the main harness to find where its shorting? Edit: to be clear this is the green & black/white wires I'm manipulating to get the light to blink.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:18 pm
Now the question is how do I fix this? Do I have to cut the cover off the main harness to find where its shorting? Edit: to be clear this is the green & black/white wires I'm manipulating to get the light to blink.
I viewed it several times. Am I correct in seeing a Blue Wire also within the connector? And, if so, is it the Blue Wire for the Neutral Light?

Seems to me that you do have the Wire Assembly disconnected. And if that Blue Wire is the Neutral Light Wire, I would make a visual inspection of that wire as it goes up the Main Harness to the Neutral Light. Since the Light does go off when manipulating these wires so near the connector, you are quite likely to find the short close by.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:33 pm
Acton67 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:18 pm
I viewed it several times. Am I correct in seeing a Blue Wire also within the connector? And, if so, is it the Blue Wire for the Neutral Light?

Seems to me that you do have the Wire Assembly disconnected. And if that Blue Wire is the Neutral Light Wire, I would make a visual inspection of that wire as it goes up the Main Harness to the Neutral Light. Since the Light does go off when manipulating these wires so near the connector, you are quite likely to find the short close by.
The Blue wire is also going into the main harness at the same spot. So two wires must be damaged for this issue to occur. The Blue wire and either the green or the black/white wire correct? Because the blue wire needs to get to ground through one of those wires?

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Delete, repeat post

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

According to the wiring diagram the dark green wire is power out of the side stand relay and the B/W wire is the ground wire. If there is a short it is to the B/W wire. Check the connectors are not shorting together.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:31 pm
The Blue wire is also going into the main harness at the same spot. So two wires must be damaged for this issue to occur. The Blue wire and either the green or the black/white wire correct? Because the blue wire needs to get to ground through one of those wires?
Yes, I saw that the Blue Wire in the video you posted goes up into the Main Harness. From what I gathered from our past Trouble-Shooting discussion, it is the Blue Wire in the assembly that goes to the Grounding Neutral Switch. Since this Video Test shows that the Assembly is disconnected, the short in the Blue Neutral Switch Wire must be up into the Main Harness. It could be a short-to-Frame,...but I'll bet it is most likely to one of the Black/White Ground wires. Could also be affecting other wires also.

At this point, I'd be tracing that Blue Neutral Switch wire all the way back to the Gauge myself.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:44 am
Acton67 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:31 pm
Yes, I saw that the Blue Wire in the video you posted goes up into the Main Harness. From what I gathered from our past Trouble-Shooting discussion, it is the Blue Wire in the assembly that goes to the Grounding Neutral Switch. Since this Video Test shows that the Assembly is disconnected, the short in the Blue Neutral Switch Wire must be up into the Main Harness. It could be a short-to-Frame,...but I'll bet it is most likely to one of the Black/White Ground wires. Could also be affecting other wires also.

At this point, I'd be tracing that Blue Neutral Switch wire all the way back to the Gauge myself.
The Blue wire goes to the diode, it's part number 36611-38A10. Looking in the manual or wiring diagram doesn't really give me any indication on where to find it. My plan is to cut the blue wire coming out of the diode, splice in a new wire and then run that to the connector coming off the main harness that connects to the neutral switch and splice it back in there rather then cutting open the main harness to repair the original wire and potentially damaging other wires. I just need to locate the diode....

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Delete