Squeaking front brake?

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Squeaking front brake?

Post by Acton67 »

Recently changed my front brake pads this past spring. For whatever reason the front brake has begun to squeal whenever I use it. Any tips? Going on a long trip next week, don't need problems lol

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Squeaking front brake?

Post by Designer »

IIRC, you have the Stock Caliper, right?

When you changed pads, did you include the Backing Plate that goes between the Pistons and the back of each Brake Pad? I have found that it is pretty much necessary to prevent squeaking. Also, did you maker sure all was Very Clean between the Pistons and Pads?

There is a product that can help you with this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254774196914?e ... Sw-k1fqliC

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:55 pm
IIRC, you have the Stock Caliper, right?

When you changed pads, did you include the Backing Plate that goes between the Pistons and the back of each Brake Pad? I have found that it is pretty much necessary to prevent squeaking. Also, did you maker sure all was Very Clean between the Pistons and Pads?

I deleted the shim plates at the direction of users here. Looks like that k2 grease won't make it on time. I need it by Friday the latest. Anything similar on Amazon you'd recommend? Riding up to Champlain and camping for a week. Leave Saturday. Will probably be putting around 800 miles on the bike. Other then being annoying is there any real need to address this issue before the trip? I know the pads are good, just noisy.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:49 pm
Designer wrote:
iIRC, you have the Stock Caliper, right?
I deleted the shim plates at the direction of users here. Looks like that k2 grease won't make it on time. I need it by Friday the latest. Anything similar on Amazon you'd recommend? Riding up to Champlain and camping for a week. Leave Saturday. Will probably be putting around 800 miles on the bike. Other then being annoying is there any real need to address this issue before the trip? I know the pads are good, just noisy.
Do you still have the plates? And,..are they in good shape?

I NEVER shop amazon. There are two reasons,...first is that I almost Always beat bezos' prices on Ebay store.

Can you get to an Auto parts store and see of they have that Permatex Product for this issue?

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

The orientation of the pad springs can sometimes affect this (#6 in this schematic):

Have you got them oriented correctly? Or maybe just try them the other way round as it won't cost you anything.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:07 pm
Acton67 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:49 pm
Designer wrote:
iIRC, you have the Stock Caliper, right?
Do you still have the plates? And,..are they in good shape?

I NEVER shop amazon. There are two reasons,...first is that I almost Always beat bezos' prices on Ebay store.

Can you get to an Auto parts store and see of they have that Permatex Product for this issue?
Unfortunately I do not have the shim plates.

I'll definitely look at my local Autozone to see if they have it.
hillsy wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:35 pm
The orientation of the pad springs can sometimes affect this (#6 in this schematic):

Have you got them oriented correctly? Or maybe just try them the other way round as it won't cost you anything.
That's something I'll definitely look into.

If the squeaking still persist do you guys think this is something I absolutely need to address before my trip or is it okay to live with it for the time being?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:19 pm
Unfortunately I do not have the shim plates. I'll definitely look at my local Autozone to see if they have it.
There are several companies that make a "Anti Squeal " grease. Why not call you local Parts Stores and ask what they have in stock for you?
Acton67 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:19 pm
.....If the squeaking still persist do you guys think this is something I absolutely need to address before my trip or is it okay to live with it for the time being?
You should have No problems with braking effectiveness on your Trip and afterwards. :space: It might get annoying, but it is not a safety issue.

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 1400

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

You can probably pick up a small packet of the grease for like a buck at an auto parts store. Usually by the register they have the small packets made for 1 brake job.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

The squeaking, although annoying is not a safety issue.
CRC Brake Quiet is available at auto parts stores.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/crc ... lsrc=aw.ds
Smear some on the back of the pads and let it set up before reassembly.

I use SBS brake shims, self adhesive strips.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112776754894?c ... n9EALw_wcB

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

navigator wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:55 pm
The squeaking, although annoying is not a safety issue.
CRC Brake Quiet is available at auto parts stores.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/crc ... lsrc=aw.ds
Smear some on the back of the pads and let it set up before reassembly.

I use SBS brake shims, self adhesive strips.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112776754894?c ... n9EALw_wcB
Do I need to remove the pads or can I just take the cover off and pour some on the pads? Taking the pads out is always a pita. Getting the piston to go all the way back on so I can get the pads back in always drives me nuts.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

The stock shims on my 87 1400 had an issue with the powder coat starting to bubble and I had problems with getting a decent pedal/lever without pumping the brake. Threw them away and the brakes have worked great since then. The only time I have brake squeal is when the pads are new, as soon as they wear in a little the squeal goes away. I have never used any type of grease or coating.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Herb wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:05 pm
The stock shims on my 87 1400 had an issue with the powder coat starting to bubble and I had problems with getting a decent pedal/lever without pumping the brake. Threw them away and the brakes have worked great since then. The only time I have brake squeal is when the pads are new, as soon as they wear in a little the squeal goes away. I have never used any type of grease or coating.
That could be what this is. I've probably got only 500 miles on the bike since I put the new pads in. Will get twice that amount next week alone. :Cool: It's been all work and no play for me the whole year.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:22 pm
Do I need to remove the pads or can I just take the cover off and pour some on the pads? Taking the pads out is always a pita. Getting the piston to go all the way back on so I can get the pads back in always drives me nuts.
"pouring" some on the installed pads kinda-sorta won't work too well for you.

Since your pads new, it is likely you won't need to push the Pistons back in too much. A large Screw Driver does the trick rather well. :space: And one of those small Vise Grips on the Brake Pad mounting "tabs" at the top of the Brake pad extracts them easily.

FWIW, My experience with the Brake Pad "shims" is different than Herb's is. Often 1400 owners had to swap the Inside and Outside Pads in the Rear Brake to compensate for the quite noticeable uneven wear. And I found that, when cleaned, they worked well to prevent squeaking.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:21 am
Acton67 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:22 pm
"pouring" some on the installed pads kinda-sorta won't work too well for you.

Since your pads new, it is likely you won't need to push the Pistons back in too much. A large Screw Driver does the trick rather well. :space: And one of those small Vise Grips on the Brake Pad mounting "tabs" at the top of the Brake pad extracts them easily.

FWIW, My experience with the Brake Pad "shims" is different than Herb's is. Often 1400 owners had to swap the Inside and Outside Pads in the Rear Brake to compensate for the quite noticeable uneven wear. And I found that, when cleaned, they worked well to prevent squeaking.
When I got rid of the shims my brake pads wore much more evenly... And the brakes worked better.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.