OK - now my 97 vs800 keeps starting, and starting, and won't stop

Georgey
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2002 1994 1994[2] 1997 vs800

OK - now my 97 vs800 keeps starting, and starting, and won't stop

Post by Georgey »

When I turn the key and press ignition, it will just keep trying to turn over and over and won't stop until I disconnect the battery. So now I removed the starter solenoid because I read somewhere else that that is the issue (even though it was working fine before).

I haven't even gotten to the point of testing out my new fuel pump to see if it resolved my prior issue - (in a prior post my 1997 turned off a light and restarted right away, but wouldn't stay on unless I gave it constant throttle).

I rewired my key ignition switch back on (before I had been using a toggle switch).

So the current problem is just the starter solenoid, right?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: OK - now my 97 vs800 keeps starting, and starting, and won't stop

Post by Herb »

Georgey wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:38 am
When I turn the key and press ignition, it will just keep trying to turn over and over and won't stop until I disconnect the battery. So now I removed the starter solenoid because I read somewhere else that that is the issue (even though it was working fine before).

I haven't even gotten to the point of testing out my new fuel pump to see if it resolved my prior issue - (in a prior post my 1997 turned off a light and restarted right away, but wouldn't stay on unless I gave it constant throttle).

I rewired my key ignition switch back on (before I had been using a toggle switch).

So the current problem is just the starter solenoid, right?
Could be a start switch, de-comp controller or even a short in the wiring.

Check for power to the start solenoid, at the yellow with black tracer wire, with the key on. If it has power at that wire the problem is either at the start switch, decomp or the wiring.

The black wire w/white tracer should be a ground and the red wire should be hot all the time.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

There is no decomp on the 800.
You could have a short, or a bad start switch, or if the battery voltage is low it has welded the contact points for the solenoid so it will not disconnect.
With the battery disconnected, check for continuity across the 2 large lugs on the solenoid. if they are connected without the start switch voltage, the solenoid is bad.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

navigator wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:55 pm
You could have a short, or a bad start switch, or if the battery voltage is low it has welded the contact points for the solenoid so it will not disconnect.
With the battery disconnected, check for continuity across the 2 large lugs on the solenoid. if they are connected without the start switch voltage, the solenoid is bad.
What he said. Nav is the VS800 holy grail.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Georgey
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2002 1994 1994[2] 1997 vs800

Post by Georgey »

navigator wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:55 pm
thank you guys - I don't think it's the battery, it's pretty charged and has been used regularly (on my other vs800s). I will double check the wiring and the solenoid

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Sorry about that folks. One of my wiring diagrams is mislabeled. When I went back and looked at it again it has 90 1400 at the top of the page. Fixed the issue so it won't happen again.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.