Clutch spring replacement, designer?

Swilsonp51
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1999 Suzuki intruder vs800

Clutch spring replacement, designer?

Post by Swilsonp51 »

Hey y’all I have a 99 vs800 I’m wondering if those springs from designer? Will work on the vs800, mine is slipping real bad all gears and how do I get a hold of him/her

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Clutch spring replacement, designer?

Post by sgtcall »

He will be by shortly.
Designer wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:37 am
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Designer does not supply clutch springs for the smaller Intruders.
The best springs you can get for these models are Barnett's part No.501-87-04-009. When replacing the oil, do not use any fancy overpriced crap, just basic detergent oil viscosity to suit your ambient temps.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Lechy wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:41 pm
Designer does not supply clutch springs for the smaller Intruders.
The best springs you can get for these models are Barnett's part No.501-87-04-009. When replacing the oil, do not use any fancy overpriced crap, just basic detergent oil viscosity to suit your ambient temps.
+1
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Swilsonp51
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Swilsonp51 »

Thanks for the info I’ll look into the barnet springs

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

What Lechy Said. :space: :ShitGrinandThumb:

No one claimed that the Barnett HD springs for the 700/750/800 ever slipped, so I didn't develop any for that Model. :space: :dunno:

However, the Barnett offerings do slip for the 1400 and 1500. :space: So I created some for those two models. :space: :wink:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Swilsonp51
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Swilsonp51 »

I gotcha, I appreciate your reply’s, this form has been very helpful and I’ve only been on it a day :rock:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Swilsonp51 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:20 pm
I gotcha, I appreciate your reply’s, this form has been very helpful and I’ve only been on it a day :rock:
Stick around! :space: MUCH more to come your way. :space: :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Swilsonp51
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Swilsonp51 »

I installed those Barnett springs on my vs800, wow full throttle in all gears no slip thanks guys for the recommendations, now if I could just figure out this low speed hesitation, I know it’s probably the dang pilot jet, when I first got the bike I took the carbs off and rebuilt/cleaned them, but for some reason I think the pilot jet is clogged, maybe I didn’t blow it out hard enough or maybe there was some crud in the tank that made its way through who know.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Swilsonp51 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:20 pm
I installed those Barnett springs on my vs800, wow full throttle in all gears no slip thanks guys for the recommendations, now if I could just figure out this low speed hesitation, I know it’s probably the dang pilot jet, when I first got the bike I took the carbs off and rebuilt/cleaned them, but for some reason I think the pilot jet is clogged, maybe I didn’t blow it out hard enough or maybe there was some crud in the tank that made its way through who know.
Put 4 ounces of Seafoam in the tank for 2-3 fill ups and see if that works for you.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Foam-Mot ... lsrc=3p.ds
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:28 pm
Put 4 ounces of Seafoam in the tank for 2-3 fill ups and see if that works for you.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Foam-Mot ... lsrc=3p.ds
What SgtCall says! :space: :rock:

I do this regularly with my 1400 and found that when I opened up my carbs to replace the Needle Jets,...they were .."Clean As A Whistle"...As the saying goes. :space: :ShitGrin:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Swilsonp51 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:20 pm
...now if I could just figure out this low speed hesitation, I know it’s probably the dang pilot jet, when I first got the bike I took the carbs off and rebuilt/cleaned them, but for some reason I think the pilot jet is clogged, maybe I didn’t blow it out hard enough or maybe there was some crud in the tank that made its way through who know.
You'd be surprised how many people think they have cleaned their carbs well only to find there is still crud in the pilot circuits. You need strong compressed air and carb cleaner to get it out.

Seafoam is the easiest but may not get results.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

So I brought up Seafoam on the Triumph Bobber forum because this guy let his 2020 Bobber sit for 18 months and didn't even try to prep it before. Anyway he put new gas in it and it wouldn't run right. Guys on that site, mostly British, go straight for the "pull the fuel injectors", "rebuild the engine" and everything else they could think of. The guy that had the issue obviously had never turned a wrench in his life. I say put some seafoam in it. Holy shit the hate that came from that idea. But the guy tried it and reported back 4 days later that the bike was running great. Crickets from all the haters.

I just think for the $5 or $6 bucks a bottle try the easy way first then go into the hard stuff.

Side note, for some reason a lot of the guys that ride Triumphs are anal as fuck. You should see the arguments if someone brings up using a torque wrench if it isn't the exact brand some other guy likes. Or, God forbid, not using a torque wrench on just about everything., the hate will just flow.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:24 pm

Side note, for some reason a lot of the guys that ride Triumphs are anal as fuck. You should see the arguments if someone brings up using a torque wrench if it isn't the exact brand some other guy likes. Or, God forbid, not using a torque wrench on just about everything., the hate will just flow.
Haha - there's keyboard mechanics on just about every forum. If they have 10K posts they are obviously the experts :lmao:

You should suggest using a syringe to bleed brakes - that will destroy them :Cool:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:30 pm
sgtcall wrote:
Haha - there's keyboard mechanics on just about every forum. If they have 10K posts they are obviously the experts :lmao:
We see you just can't DEAL WITH ITY when you are proven an IGNORANT SUCKING JACKASS!!..........Mr. "fiddling with electrical switches will fix a mechanical clutch problem"

:hahafinger: :space: :hahafinger:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:59 pm

We see you just can't DEAL WITH ITY when you are proven an IGNORANT SUCKING JACKASS!!.........

Didn't take long :lmao: :GoneFishin:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

sgtcall wrote:
So I brought up Seafoam on the Triumph Bobber forum because this guy let his 2020 Bobber sit for 18 months and didn't even try to prep it before. Anyway he put new gas in it and it wouldn't run right. Guys on that site, mostly British, go straight for the "pull the fuel injectors", "rebuild the engine" and everything else they could think of. The guy that had the issue obviously had never turned a wrench in his life. I say put some seafoam in it. Holy shit the hate that came from that idea. But the guy tried it and reported back 4 days later that the bike was running great. Crickets from all the haters.

I just think for the $5 or $6 bucks a bottle try the easy way first then go into the hard stuff.

Yup
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=13893&p=213290&hil ... am#p213290

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

sgtcall wrote:
Yeah. :space: I hear you! :space: There's always some bone-headed jerk who makes an asinine suggestion of a Fix that is way far off and couldn't possibly help the poor guy with a Mechanical problem get back on the Road.

Then,...gets All Riled Up when their suggestion is shown it makes no sensible help.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:55 am
sgtcall wrote:
Yeah. :space: I hear you! :space: There's always some bone-headed jerk who makes an asinine suggestion of a Fix that is way far off and couldn't possibly help the poor guy with a Mechanical problem get back on the Road.

Then,...gets All Riled Up when their suggestion is shown it makes no sensible help.
Ain't that the truth :ShitGrinandThumb:

I especially laugh at the guys who claim to be experts in some particular field - sometimes they even sell parts - and then when someone posts a problem in that space they don't have a clue and suggest they just throw new parts at it that don't fix the problem...:lmao:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

:GoneFishin: :space: That was EASY. :space: :Cool: