Gas leak, carburetor boot

Kingkoa1
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Suzuki intruder vs800

Post by Kingkoa1 »

Hey guys thanks for the help on the vs800 last problems with the no start… got it started now and there’s one problem fixed, but i found 2 new problems.!! First i tried to ride and the clutch wouldn’t engage😒i think the clutch
Resivoir is plugged up but i think i got it covered. When i went to bleed the clutch i noticed allot of gas dripping, followed it up to the carb boot to my front cylinder…. After training everything apart i lifted the needle and seen the whole boot was filled with gas🤔 don’t think that’s normal right? I stuck a tube down there and pumped the gas out, do you think it’s the float? I just cleaned the carb again before this problem.
“If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle!!”

Kingkoa1
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Kingkoa1 »

Hey guys thanks for the help on the vs800 last problems with the no start… got it started now and there’s one problem fixed, but i found 2 new problems.!! First i tried to ride and the clutch wouldn’t engage😒i think the clutch
Resivoir is plugged up but i think i got it covered. When i went to bleed the clutch i noticed allot of gas dripping, followed it up to the carb boot to my front cylinder…. After training everything apart i lifted the needle and seen the whole boot was filled with gas🤔 don’t think that’s normal right? I stuck a tube down there and pumped the gas out, do you think it’s the float? I just cleaned the carb again before this problem.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Gas leak, carburetor boot

Post by Lechy »

Either the float is sticking or the O-ring on the needle sleeve is damaged. On some of the floats (not all) there is a small tang which adjusts the needle height preventing the needle dropping too far down the sleeve and locking up by cocking to one side.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Am sorry to hear of your repeated problems, bro. :space: I assume the dripping was noticed outside the Carb/Boot.

Is is a stuck float? ...possible. That would certainly be an easy thing to check for first.

I wouldn't take the Carb apart right away,...I suggest to reinstall the Carb and tap on the side of the Float Bowl.

See what you get.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Some of the float valve needles have a rubber seal on them and I have seen them go bad and leak.
The GS1100 I had had that issue on 2 of the 4 carbs.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

There's only one way fuel can get into the cylinder like that - and it's past the float valve.

As suggested it's either a sticking / incorrectly set float, bad o-ring on the float valve seat or a damaged valve tip / seat.

These bikes have a fuel pump so if either one of those is even slightly bad you will get a LOT of fuel gushing into the cylinder pretty quick.

EDIT: I just looked at your other posts and I can see this bike has been sitting for years. If you haven't replaced all the o rings in the carbs you should do that along with another thorough clean of the pilot circuits. Probably had ethanol fuel in it which doesn't sit well at all.

Kingkoa1
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Kingkoa1 »

Problem fixed! Finally got the road😄😁😆😅😂🤣 and all i got to say iS… WOW!! This is an incredible scoot bruh! She handles so well, steering and everything is perfect😇 thanks for all the assistance, ive still got some work but just to be rideable is a true blessing.[Image

][/img]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Glad you got it up and running. It is always good to see one back on the road.

So, what was the problem?

Inquiring minds want to know.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Kingkoa1
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Kingkoa1 »

It did sit for along time… while i was checking it out i found that cool little compartment behind the back rest…😄 thought it was so clever, hidden lock 🔐 box! After i opened and cleared the cobbwebs i found the last owners registration papers, 2009… so i believe it’s been sitting since sometime close to that 14yrs ago! He told me when i bought the bike that he registered and titled the bike but after messing around with her he couldn’t get it figured out, and it’s been parked since then 😂 put new battery, i had to clean the carbs twice, flush all fluids and refill, clean the brake fluid twice, and the clutch line was so gunked up i had to reclean everything like 8-10 times… probably will buy new next year, but i finally got her to hold some pressure, i went through 4 bottles of brake fluid too 😲 but it was all worth it because i really only spent $$ on the dot4… has everything else from the last few project bikes. Think I’ll keep this one for sure.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Kingkoa1 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:46 pm
It did sit for along time… while i was checking it out i found that cool little compartment behind the back rest…😄 thought it was so clever, hidden lock 🔐 box! After i opened and cleared the cobbwebs i found the last owners registration papers, 2009… so i believe it’s been sitting since sometime close to that 14yrs ago! He told me when i bought the bike that he registered and titled the bike but after messing around with her he couldn’t get it figured out, and it’s been parked since then 😂 put new battery, i had to clean the carbs twice, flush all fluids and refill, clean the brake fluid twice, and the clutch line was so gunked up i had to reclean everything like 8-10 times… probably will buy new next year, but i finally got her to hold some pressure, i went through 4 bottles of brake fluid too 😲 but it was all worth it because i really only spent $$ on the dot4… has everything else from the last few project bikes. Think I’ll keep this one for sure.
Congratulations on getting her running. That little box behind the back rest is supposed to be full of the factory tool kit. That was a great little tool kit to have around.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.