Front cylinder not firing!

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 96 intruder 800 epa edition

Front cylinder not firing!

Post by Deedubforum »

I’ve been trying everything possible and I’m just so confused. Both carbs are definitely getting fuel when cranking I can literally see fuel spritzing out on the front carb and going in but the front won’t fire, the rear is however. I’m pretty sure the issue isn’t spark related because I can get it to fire if I fiddle with choke/throttle and starting fluid, is it possibly intermittently not working? The only thing I’m not 100 percent on in the various cable adjustments but I’ve looked into both carbs and the butterfly’s open at the same time.
Not a goodbye , an I’ll see ya later :cheers:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Front cylinder not firing!

Post by Herb »

Have you tried switching spark plugs? I have seen plugs that won't fire when they have too much fuel or too much compression.

There is also a chance that it is getting too much fuel flooding out the plug.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

Herb wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:11 pm
Have you tried switching spark plugs? I have seen plugs that won't fire when they have too much fuel or too much compression.

Have not in fact tried that I’ll do that today and get back to ya

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

Also something else worth mentioning, I was curious if any of the fuel screw plugs had been removed and I could see that all four of the carbs I have (2 are from a parts bike) had been removed at some point and the previous owner had put some sort of glue on the screw head luckily the carb cleaner I have was able to dissolve it but that was only on the front carb the rear’s screw is stripped and will need to be extracted. I’m just not sure if a fuel screw would be enough to make the bike not run at all

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Deedubforum wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:02 am
Also something else worth mentioning, I was curious if any of the fuel screw plugs had been removed and I could see that all four of the carbs I have (2 are from a parts bike) had been removed at some point and the previous owner had put some sort of glue on the screw head luckily the carb cleaner I have was able to dissolve it but that was only on the front carb the rear’s screw is stripped and will need to be extracted. I’m just not sure if a fuel screw would be enough to make the bike not run at all
It will make them hard to start and easy to flood. Also a plugged up idle air jet can cause the engine to suck to much fuel.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

Herb wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:17 am
Deedubforum wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:02 am
Okay I’ll get those sorted out and set them at 2.5 turns for now so I can cross them off my list

It will make them hard to start and easy to flood. Also a plugged up idle air jet can cause the engine to suck to much fuel.

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

Herb wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:11 pm

Well I took the carb off again and sure enough the pilot jet inside the bowl was plugged but I also realized just how finicky the system is in terms of throttle cable adjustment, took me all night but I got the bike to idle and rev properly so I’m gonna work on syncing it next