Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Footrest won't reattach to frame

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:53 pm
Designer wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:47 pm
Yes,....doing so will allow the Footrest to be attached. :space: However, this will not fix the problem,....that being,..... the Left Side Frame Tube is bent inwards.

This will just move the mis-alignment issues to other nearby spots on the bike, so to speak. Firstly,...the Front Engine Mounting point on the Frame will get bent and/or cracked. Also,. the lateral forces induced on the Foot Rest Bolts ( called Shear) is not a desirable thing. :space: It is the Bolt's weakest Stressing Manner..( those being Tension, Compression, Shear) .

Personally I'd perform a Method to re-align the Left Side Frame Tube outwards to it's original position,....it's not all that difficult, ....and would return things to sound and good order once again.
Since I cannot inspect the bike in person I am not sure of the real problem. Although from my experience of almost doing the same thing, I can say that it is most likely that the foot peg bracket on the left side is twisted down. If the frame were bent it would be bent in, not out, because the weight of the bike would have pushed the frame in not pulled it out.
Correct. The Frame tube is bent in....His picture is worth a thousand word's!
Hadrian wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:34 am

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Fer fks sake - just loosen the frame rail and get all the bolts back in. Tighten them up a bit at a time and it will straighten up. Lever the frame rail over if you have to.

Not rocket science.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

I won't go into the "loosening the frame" method and the ramifications of doing it again,.......all that has been covered well enough already.

This suggestion of levering the frame over is pretty risky as there is a distinct possibility of doing damage to the Engine Cases.
Firstly, there is no way of knowing beforehand just how much Levering Force will be needed to move it back to original position. :space: And the spaces are tight around the Engine-to-Frame in this area,.....thus probably might not allow for a sufficient Lever "push point/pad" on the Engine Case to move the frame over. :space: A Pry Bar would needs to be having a rather small Engine Case Contact area, thus might damage the Engine......Why risk that?

There is a much safer way.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Designer...what exactly is your "much safer way"?
Pull the engine and throw the frame on a frame straightening jig?
I stand by what I said. Good Luck Hadrian.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

navigator wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:50 am
Designer...what exactly is your "much safer way"?
Pull the engine and throw the frame on a frame straightening jig?
If you're not going to pry it all back to line it up then that's probably the only other option.

Again - not rocket science.....unless you want to make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

So sorry guys,....but,.....Nope.

There is another way that is far less work. :space: :bow:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Designer wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:57 pm

Please...do share.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:57 pm

If it is so good and easy why didn't you post that method in the first place? What is it?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

meanwhile, the OP has given up on posting and we don't know if he ever got it fixed.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

After looking at the Picture of the Bent Frame/Engine in more detail and thinking about the forces needed, I surmised what I said about the levering idea mentioned here.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14712&start=42

So I thought to myself,..."Self,...what about using gravity instead?" :space: :ShitGrin:

Since the Frame was bent by the weight of the bike in the first place, why not use that same amount/type of force in reverse? :space: :dunno:

To do so,...one would first need to remove the Right Side Header to create the space needed to bend the Frame past Original Position ( Why is because bending Steel would rebound a little bit). Then, one would bolt the Foot Rest to the Left Side Frame only ( using some Grade 8 Bolts because of Shear forces). Then, one would place on the Ground a Wood "support" on the Right Side ( to mimic the Kickstand that supported the Left Side of the bike when the Frame got bent in the first place). Then one would tip the Bike over onto the Wood support. Using the bolted-on Foot Rest as a measuring "yardstick" to view the progress, one could monitor the movement of the Left Side frame so as to keep from overdoing it. When one sees the Right Side Footrest-to-Frame Bolt Holes align as they did originally, one then knows all is pretty much as it should be. Then one would Bolt everything back up...and...VOILA....one has fixed it! :space: :clap: