More clutch problems :(

Minnow990
Practicing Bicycling

More clutch problems :(

Post by Minnow990 »

Hi guys, me again.

Haven't been on here too much because I thought all was well. Guess not...

My clutch has been acting up again, same story as before. This time, the master cylinder is NOT empty. Instead, we believe that its just be because the fluid is really dirty in there. I'm getting no, to very little, disengagement when pulling the clutch in.

Anyway, the problem doesn't lie there, its actually a leak that I need you guys to help with. My father-in-law believes the slave cylinder is the culprit, but I'm not so sure. I'm trying to determine where the leak is just to confirm his theory (although he's usually right about these things, as he has many more years experience than I've been alive!)

So it's an '87 VS700, with a clutch fluid leak. The current fluid (DOT3/4) is dirty, and for now we're just replacing the fluid.

My question: do I need to replace my clutch slave cylinder or do you guys know where this leak may be coming from where I just need to replace a gasket or tighten a bolt? Money is tight so I'm hoping you guys can provide a cheap (and easy) solution. I don't want to have to rebuild the whole thing unless necessary.

I will be searching the original forums for answers as well.
Let me know if I'm confusing you guys or if you need any more information.

Edit 1: Found This -- http://boulevardowners.com/cafe/index.c ... 28&start=1
I believe this to be the same thing, but can't view the picture.
Minnow990
1987 Intruder VS700
New Supporter of Bikers Against Child Abuse

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Re: More clutch problems :(

Post by ddog6900 »

New crush gaskets on the MC and slave banjo bolts, fresh fluid and make sure the MC is assembled correctly.

Read this.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Replacement is not usually necessary. Rebuilding with new seals may cure the problem but only if either of the seals are actually leaking. Sometimes, moisture can get in there and cause corrosion, this can make it necessary to replace the master or slave cylinders.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

New fluid, clean out the 2 small holes on the bottom of the main res. Cover your paintwork when working with this type of fluid.
There is a steel section of pipework between the hoses, check this for leaks, mine was completely corroded and blew out. I replaced the whole run with SS braided hose, what a difference.
Re-seal the master cylinder piston, be sure to put the seals in the correct way.
:smoke:
Grow old disgracefully young man.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

Mine was leaking underneath the slave cylinder. I went over and over trying to clean things out. Even took off the slave cylinder and to this day, I swear there is nothing wrong with the rubber ring. It's smooth as a baby's bottom!
I replaced and it still leaked. Eventually, I ordered a new slave cylinder for about $100. Haven't had a problem since!
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.