What'd I do wrong?

draggindakota
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 01 VS800

What'd I do wrong?

Post by draggindakota »

:bang: :bang: So I took the rear wheel off to change the tire and clean/polish the spokes. No problem pulling or replacing; everything came off and went back on smoothly (except to get the wheel off I had to remove the brake cam lever instead of just the cable as the adjuster nut is seized up), but now I have no rear brakes. The pedal is working the brake lever and rotating the cam but it doesn't seem to be spreading the shoes. There is no resistance in the pedal other than the cam return spring. I didn't do anything to the brake shoe assembly other than a quick visual of the shoes.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: What'd I do wrong?

Post by YoDude »

Sounds like you didn't get the splines lined back up correctly to the lever position it was in when you took it apart.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

draggindakota
Studying MC Handbook

Post by draggindakota »

That's what I'm thinking. There wasn't much roof for play though. I know the manual says to line up the line on the cam with the split in the arm but there's no way the cable would reach if I did that.

And.....I broke the damn cable trying to get the adjuster loose :bang:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Oh NO! My crystal ball says it sees new parts in your future.

Yo-

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

I'm wondering why the spring doesn't look like it's doing the right thing.

Yo-

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Is it possible that when you had it apart, the cam could have rotated 180* ? I own a 1400 and I've never looked at the parts fiche for the smaller Intruders. That's why I ask. Usually there's a spring inside there that pulls the shoes back away from the drum when the brake is let off.

Yo-

draggindakota
Studying MC Handbook

Post by draggindakota »

YoDude9999 wrote:Is it possible that when you had it apart, the cam could have rotated 180* ?
I thought about that I pulled everything back off today to check again but all looks fine. There's no way I can see that the cam could have rotated without being pulled through and then put back in.

Yeah, with the mark lined up with the split the spring doesn't even really touch the arm. Now to find a new cable.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

I'm thinking you might want to point the mark on the shaft so it aligns with the right hand side mark on the housing. Then, position the lever on the shaft such that it points straight down, or is at least able to be assembled onto the the cable linkage part that pulls it. Doing so will possibly bring the spring back into play as it should be.

I'm just kind of guessing here at this poit. I'll go have a look at the parts fiche and see if I see anything that may help you.

Yo-

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Okay, so after a quick look I see that the cam doesn't play anything other than to spread the shoes. One way or the other doesn't matter. What does matter is that the cam is spreading the shoes out far enough to make them contact the drum. You'll probably have to account for this and shoe wear. The way I would deal with it would be like this.....

Using a pair of vice grips, set on a very gentle setting so not to damage the splines of the cam shaft, turn the cam to the point you know the shoes are actually braking the rear wheel. You'll have to have the wheel off the ground and be able to spin it as you test for this. When you get to that point, use a marker or something to [[[[mark a spot on the drum hub that is in a straight line with the mark on the end of the cam shaft.]]]] Once you do this step, you can position the "lever" on the shaft, (probably through trial and error) to get the position correct such that it will allow you to reassemble the lever to the pull rod and at that point, you should be golden.

Yo-