To pod or not to pod

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

To pod or not to pod

Post by Lechy »

That is the question.
First a bit of history:
VS 800 1993, when I picked it up the PO had fitted a set of Supertrapp muffles both on the same side and installed stage 3 jet kits. I hated the look and the sound even more so they had to go. I got some thin walled black steel tubing 2" id, made a set of slip on's located either side and painted with Rustoleum mat black. I experimented with different styles of internal mufflers and finished with a pair of 4" long Thunder Monster type, nice sound, not loud but noticeable.
A few weeks ago I changed the oil and filter, bit the bullet and removed the air filters for inspection. Front was OK but the rear was badly gummed up with misted oil and fine dust. Prices over here due to postage and import duties put the cost to over $30 each filter. Right.
I have always advised against fitting pods as it has been proven that there was little or no benefit to be had but in this case I was not looking to increase performance just for a more economical alternative. Not wishing to purchase K&N's again due to cost I picked up 4 52mm pods from Ebay at a cost of $15. Not much to throw away if I got negative results I also picked up some 1/2" filter foam locally for around $2.
First shot, pods and no socks, needles set to 2 down front, 3 down rear, start up, Nope not worth a crap, ran rough and stalled on throttle chop.
Cut and superglued the filter foam to both pods, fitted up and started up, what a difference, let the machine warm up and adjusted the AF settings went for a ride.
OK, now we're talking. A very noticeable and enjoyable increase in power through the whole band, better roll on and smooth idle. I'm a very happy little puppy now.
Due to the condition of the rear filter I am quite loath to say that the pods did in fact increase the power. For me It solved a cost problem so even if there was no substantial increase a purpose was served.
Now I will be fabricating a battery box to replace the rear filter box and get that battery out of the crap that is kicked up on these Thai roads.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Re: To pod or not to pod

Post by lonerider »

There's no satisfaction like the satisfaction of solving a problem on the cheap! [emoji106]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

lonerider wrote:There's no satisfaction like the satisfaction of solving a problem on the cheap! [emoji106]
+1 [emoji106]

:cheers:
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

So far so good, [emoji106] keep us informed on what comes next. [emoji2]
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:So far so good, [emoji106] keep us informed on what comes next. [emoji2]
What came next was the bloody starter. A new thread.

[emoji41]

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder vs800

Post by ClassicfnRD »

Thank the speed God's for you. I picked up my intruder yesterday and noticed just how ugly the airboxes make the bike look. From the info you gave me on my rejet thread about pod filters I was prepared to accept that they'd just have to stay there.

After I fixed the clutch on mine, I took it for a spin, carbs are in need of cleaning/adjusting, but this sucker will GO, dude. Very satisfied with the performance, and it looks like, thanks to you, I'll be able to push it just a little more.

EDIT***

I thought my marauder carbs were a PITA...no...the intruder is waaay worse! The frame is much more narrow, and there's so many more wires and hoses in the way. So I'll be ordering the pods tonight! Haha

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ClassicfnRD »

Ok, so I've got a problem.... Found the pod filters, no problem. Finding the foam is proving to be kind of difficult. No auto parts places have it, the lawn mower place didn't have it, at least not 1/2in thick. Does it have to be 1/2?

Infamous2068
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 99 vs800

Post by Infamous2068 »

ImageGood afternoon all, finally biting the bullet and posting in search of some solid information. 99 vs 800 i picked up in April, put on struts, removed rear fender entirely, springer solo seat, relocated ignition coils. Have read this forum top to bottom and bc im hard headed decided to go with pods (room and looks, not performance), been following alot of your advice lechy. Noticed you threw foam around the pods, which I'm in the process of now. You said you changed needle position front and back, are you referring to c clips, with no changes to any other jets? I am an absolute, stone dead rookie with anything carb related. Understand the concept, just want a solid place to start.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

ClassicfnRD wrote:Ok, so I've got a problem.... Found the pod filters, no problem. Finding the foam is proving to be kind of difficult. No auto parts places have it, the lawn mower place didn't have it, at least not 1/2in thick. Does it have to be 1/2?
Try a Yamaha dealer for filter foam. No it doesn't need to be 1/2" that is what was available from the local bike shop, you may have to do a bit of experimentation to get the right balance. I'm currently running the needles at 3 down front and 4 down rear seems to be doing the trick but I'll put new plugs in and check them after about a thousand kilometers.
[emoji41]

Check here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-Universal-A ... Pj&vxp=mtr

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

@ 2068
If you are going to put foam over the pods you will need to experiment with the thickness to get the results you want. The factory needles are not adjustable having only the single groove so if yours are multi grooved you have an aftermarket jet kit which will give you more options for fine tuning.

I'm no expert but I do understand how these carbs work.

[emoji41]

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ClassicfnRD »

Lechy wrote:@ 2068
If you are going to put foam over the pods you will need to experiment with the thickness to get the results you want. The factory needles are not adjustable having only the single groove so if yours are multi grooved you have an aftermarket jet kit which will give you more options for fine tuning.

I'm no expert but I do understand how these carbs work.

[emoji41]
I haven't gone that far into the carbs yet to see if my needles are adjustable, so unless the mains are huge af from the factory, I couldn't tell you if it's been rejetted. It did come with some cobra slash cut slip ons, but from what you've told me, I guess that wouldnt require a rejet on these bikes. But that's no big deal, as I can get the needles from jets-r-us, or whatever it's called for like $4 for the pair.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

A little update, I fitted some EBC clutch springs today along with a wiring job, in another thread. The bike runs like a little rocket and is returning 20 km/ltr using 87 gas.

[emoji41]

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Lechy wrote:A little update, I fitted some EBC clutch springs today along with a wiring job, in another thread. The bike runs like a little rocket and is returning 20 km/ltr using 87 gas.

[emoji41]
"20 km/ltr using 87 gas" is that good? If it is then congrats... if not then go back to work on the bike. :lolfall:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Suzuki state 16.8 Km/lt so yes it's damned good.

[emoji41]

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Lechy wrote:A little update, I fitted some EBC clutch springs today along with a wiring job, in another thread. The bike runs like a little rocket and is returning 20 km/ltr using 87 gas.

[emoji41]
Dunno where you buy 87 octane 91 or 95 or E 20

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

91 over here is equivalent to 85 in the US. I made the conversion so as not to over confuse our American cousins.

[emoji41]

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Lechy wrote:91 over here is equivalent to 85 in the US. I made the conversion so as not to over confuse our American cousins.

[emoji41]
Ah yes I see --thats why you call it gas and not Petrol --keep it simple

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Ya got to do your best for the poor little dahlings.

[emoji41]