Removing foot peg bracket

TogaRiderNY
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki Intruder 800

Removing foot peg bracket

Post by TogaRiderNY »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to pick your brain about an issue I'm having and wanted to see if anyone else dealt with this as well.

I have a 94 vs800 17kmiles. It sat outside for a few years mostly untouched. Now that I finally have a garage and personal workspace, I'm cleaning it up inside out.

Now with the backstory out of the way, I'm trying to remove the foot peg bracket (front). With lots of hammering,wd40 and pb blaster applied to the bolts, I started the task of unscrewing them. Unfortunately the bottom half of the second screw sheared right off and is still stuck in there. So here are my questions:
1) how do I proceed with the remaining screws without destroying them?
2) how do I remove the broken piece out of the bracket.
- there isn't a lot of room under the bike for me to fit any power tools in

If anyone has any ideas or if you had this same issue, please let me know and what if anything worked?

Thanks in advance!

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Removing foot peg bracket

Post by WintrSol »

You are aware that there are supposed to be locking pins on four of the bolts? See #4, which captures bolt #2: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/s ... 0/footrest
Busting a bolt is exactly what will happen if these pins aren't removed first.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

Let the blaster sit for a while after applying multiple times. Once you start the bolts moving only back them out a bit before turning them back in. Doing a back and forth on them should help keep the threads clean. I'm assuming you just tried to turn the bolt out without any relief on it. If you did the back and forth then there isn't much else to try that I'm aware of. If you can get it started moving you could try some WD-40 but I'd think the blaster was as good if not better. I guess you could try heat from a Bernzomatic if it's safe to do.

TogaRiderNY
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki Intruder 800

Post by TogaRiderNY »

Thank you for the responses gents.

I've been wiggling the bolts back and forth and drowned it with pb and wd40. With my luck, I'm Always nervous about applying excessive heat lol so I'll stay clear of that option.

I should definitely do my homework before I attempt anything on the bike. I had no idea there were pins in the bolts!! :bonk:

Lesson learned!

I'll check tomorrow and update if that's the real culprit of my problems!

Thanks again!!!!