85' VS750 driveshaft seal replacement

CgTopp
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 04 FLHTCUI

85' VS750 driveshaft seal replacement

Post by CgTopp »

Does anybody have any information on replacing the seals on both ends of the driveshaft or where to find the information please.

Thank you

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: 85' VS750 driveshaft seal replacement

Post by navigator »

Download a VS800 manual, available on this site.
The 750 and 800 are the same.
The seal on the rear gear end can be removed with a chisel or screwdriver, then remove the circlip. You must push down as it is spring loaded.
If you are very careful, AND the seal is not worn, you can reuse it.
Coat the splines liberally with MOLY 60 PASTE or Loctite 51048 moly paste.
Anything else will evaporate and leave the splines dry and rusted.....BTDT.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

The front seal is not on the driveshaft, it's part of the angle drive, and should not be an issue.
The U-joint splines should be coated with Moly too. the bearings are sealed and should retain the factory lube.

CgTopp
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 04 FLHTCUI

Post by CgTopp »

Thank you Navigator, I have not seen the bike personally as of yet but trying to help a guy out, according to him the final drive at the shaft is leaking aswell as at the output end of the transmission to the driveshaft, once i get the bike here I will take a better look at it and see. I did download the manual and will be printing it tonight to be able to look over.

Apparently it is in need of some other easy repairs, the seals on either end of the driveshaft is the only ones I'm unsure of.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

The rear gear oil seal is in deeper than the one I described, that will require a LARGE vise and an impact wrench, new nut, and more seals.
First thing to do is clean it up and figure out where the oil is coming from, and what type.
Engine oil or hypoid gear oil.
Never had to go that deep with over 100,000 miles. :donno:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I had a leak on my 87 1400 at the pinion shaft seal. I changed the final drive grease using about 4oz of STP oil treatment, the leak stopped. Ran it for over 145,000 miles and 13 year changing the grease every year, always using the STP.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Truckingeek
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Ones with two wheels

Post by Truckingeek »

Something else to consider is that if someone used the wrong grease on the inner splines or u-joint it could be melting and leaking out.

If it was me I would remove the rear wheel and wash everything down inside and out with brake clean, put proper heat rated grease on it, re-assemble and verify where the leak is coming from.

Same goes for the mess up by the output shaft / u-joint.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I noticed the leak at the front of the drive shaft at 16,000 miles and paid the dealer $165 to fix it and 6 months later it was leaking again. Since it was regular oil from the crankcase and not a big leak I just kept an eye on my oil level and let it leak. I now have 133,xxx miles and counting. Sure it turned the pipe on that side a dirty color where it leaked and burnt on the pipe, but I can live with that.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: